manufactured homes

Are the tie downs required to be tight? Common sense says yes, todays inspection showed several that were loose.
Gerry, you out there?

Always Bruce, :mrgreen:

Yes, common sense prevails they should be tight. :wink:

It is fairly common for piers to settle during the first few years after installation leaving the straps too loose. These should really be checked anualy and after any high wind or seismic events as this will also cause them to loosen up.

Regards

Gerry

It is my understanding that the rules for the tie downs have changed frequently over the years. I always disclaim them as not knowing if they are, or were, up to code at the time of inspection, and defer them to an engineer for verification. Missing, or improper verification of a tie down could lighten your wallet.

Just for my own knowledge what is considered a manufactured home in Florida?
Larry

I usually think of a manufactured home as a mobile home.

There are other manufactured homes that are prebuild and dropped on the slab. We dont see too many of those around here though.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Well, I can’t speak about Florida, but in California:

What’s the Difference between a Manufactured Home, a Mobile Home, and a “Modular” Home?
A key to understanding today’s manufactured home is distinguishing it from other homes that are, or have been, constructed in a factory. Most homes produced in a factory are comprised of three-dimensional modules. These modulesare transported to a home site and installed on a state approved foundations or support systems. California law clearly distinguishes amount the types of homes produced in a factory by the building code to which the home must comply.
Manufactured Home:
The manufactured home is constructed to comply with the National Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards, a uniform building standard administered and enforced by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD Code). Over 97 percent of all homes constructed in California factories meet this code.
Factory-Built Homes:
Often called “modular” homes, factor-built homes are constructed to comply with the California Administrative Code. About three percent of all factory homes produced in California meet this code.
Mobile Homes:
These homes were constructed to comply with standards enforced by the State of California prior to June 15, 1976 when the federal preemptive HUD Code became effective. Mobile homes have not been constructed since this date.

[/FONT]

Do all MH in all States require tie downs?

Do all MH in all States require tie downs?

A Tucson Arizona Certified Home Inspector, Termite Inspector

HUD MH info: http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/mhs/mhshome.cfm

specifically 1st paragraph of this page, “at least one method”

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/10apr20061500/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2006/aprqtr/pdf/24cfr3280.307.pdf

but there’s more depending on wind and snow loads

Test.

Hi Todd,

basically yes, the type and load requirements vary according to potential wind and seismic loads, also minimum tie downs are required according to all manufacturers installation instructions.

Regards

Gerry