New Construction

Hi Folks…Thanks in advance for your opinions on my post I truly appreciate it! I am looking to purchase a new home in Cary, NC and I have some questions about normal settling. I had the good fortune of talking to a homeowner that has been in her house for 6 months and her home was built by the same builder in the same neighborhood and is very similar in design. She mentioned that this is the 3rd brand new house she purchased and that this particular home was experiencing more “settling” problems than she had experienced before. I asked her what issues she was having and she mentioned that in 4-5 places in the home doors are beginning to stick significantly. She also mentioned the builder has been out several times to re-caulk areas around the moldings that had some separation. I think she also has a drywall crack or 2. In the house that I am looking at it was just finished in December and I noticed a drywall crack in it as well. My question is basically…are these totally normal things that I shouldn’t even be concerned with or is there a legitimate reason for some concern? I guess I am trying to figure out if “when there is smoke there is fire” or if I am just being paranoid. Thanks for your input.

Cracks in drywall may not be to “settling” which the term is misleading but rather it can also a result of moisture content in the wood…as the wood dries it can shrink which can cause cracks and or nail pops.

Sticking doors can be seasonal…

Building or purchasing a home, one should be familiar with the soil conditions in the area and if necessary do a soil verification test… I am getting ready to do a large custom home near Chapel Hill…before construction begins I will have the soil tested… soils in NC can be problematic…

Jeff

Why not hire a home inspector instead of trying to get free advice?

I think he would be better off to hire a structural engineer than a home inspector. If there are known problems in the home the inspector may or may not find them, and if he finds them all he will do is recommend an engineer anyway. I think he is smart for coming here and asking this question. Now he has the choice of a home inspection, which he should get anyway for other potential problems, or the engineer (or both) depending on his concerns.

Thanks Jeff. Hi Joe. I absolutely plan on hiring an inspector I’m just one of those people for better or worse that likes to learn as much as I possibly can on my own. I thought this might be a good way for me to learn a little bit.

Then here ya go: Free Home Inspector Training Courses & Online Classes - InterNACHI®](http://www.nachi.org/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=730095)