Ridge board check

Another inspector asked for my opinion on a ridge board he had seen at an inspection today. The ridge board had a very visible 1/16" or less check or crack running 4-6’ or so along the length of it. None of the rafters were separated, no sagging, no visible anomalies. He noted in the report the ridge board was cracked but functioning as intended and did not recommend any further actions. Seems reasonable to me, how about you? No photos available…it’s pretty easy to envision :). If corrective action was deemed to be required would a properly designed strong-tie or mending plate be appropriate? Kenton…what are your thoughts?

Without seeing it that sounds adequate.

He did what I’d have done, Mike.

Look how many 100+ year-old homes are just fine with no ridge at all.

A ridge makes it easy to stand and stabilize the rafters during roof construction, and it provides a handy way to fasten them into place at the peak, with or without metal connectors and on or off layout.

Spometimes it also provides backing for boundry nailing at the ridge, but not when there’s a continuous ridge vent, so it’s not that crucial for that purpose.

Sounds good…thanks for the quick reply. I’ll pass this along to him.

According to what I know ridge boards are not structural. They only help align the rafter pairs which are structural. So checks, cracks in a ridge board should not be at issue.

Different issue if your dealing with a structural ridge beam which is carrying roof load. Severe checking or cracking in that beam could effect ability to support load and will need an engineer to evaluate.

I don’t think checking is often a structural issue, even when it looks nasty. Cracking is a different story. Significant cracking would be failure.