Roof framing question

I commonly see many homes constructed with the ridge board the same size as the rafters and then the framers add a furring strip or 2x2 at the bottom to cover the left over gap at the bottom. Today’s lacked this.
Should this have been installed?

Also the rafters were glued togeather crappy 2x4’s or the left overs made into a larger board. How well do these function compared to a solid piece of lumber?

They typically do fine as long as they extend to the bottom cut of the rafter…they simply help prevent the rafter from pulling away from the ridge board during uplift forces.

What I see as a more common issue is missing valley plates… you have the bottom cut of the rafter simply sitting on plywood or osb.

Thanks Jeffery, I figured as much. Most of the homes I look at over 3000 sf tend to have some unique framing practices and applications.

The ridge board should be one size bigger than the common rafters to achieve full bearing,2x4 rafters =2x6 ridge board,should be collar ties 48 inch on center,upper third of rafter,unless they are not shown in the pic.

This is correct, but I typically only write it up on new construction.

Why? What is your reasoning?

[quote=“sfogarty, post:1, topic:58395”]

I commonly see many homes constructed with the ridge board the same size as the rafters and then the framers add a furring strip or 2x2 at the bottom to cover the left over gap at the bottom. Today’s lacked this.
Should this have been installed?

Also the rafters were glued togeather crappy 2x4’s or the left overs made into a larger board. How well do these function compared to a solid piece of lumber?/quot

Sean,

While the roof depicted in the pictures may be functioning fine I would disclaim in some manner in the report because at some point in time your buyer may become a seller and the new buyers inspector will probably call out the roof framing and the next thing you know they will want you to pay for an engineers report.

When rafters are joined by a ridge board the ridge board must be no less than 1" nominal thickness and not less in depth than the cut end of the rafter. As far as the 2 x 4 stacked because there is no span table at least that I’m aware of that addresses that condition it then would have to be an engineered design. Again not saying that it does not work just that we need too cover our behinds