Seen in a Concrete Foundation

On a townhome I inspected today, I saw the following in the concrete foundation on the exterior. Unfortunately, the other side of this arrangement on the interior portion of the basement was concealed behind finishes. I did not see evidence of bracing in the rest of the basement.

Any thoughts on what the purpose of the exposed bolts/screws are would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jonathan
Jonathan N. Leahy
President
*A Rock Solid Home Inspection, LLC. *
www.arocksolidhome.com
303-718-7779
US EPA Certified Asbestos Building Inspector
State of Colorado Asbestos Building Inspector
Residential Home Inspections, Asbestos Inspections, Radon, Mold Inspections

I’d say that was a piece of angle iron bolted to the foundation as a brick ledge for the brick veneer above it.

Yes, it looks like it is spanning the opening below the metal grillwork.

Looks like the steel angle is bolted through to another angle inside, and it may be that this opening was added after the original construction. No one in their right mind would install a shelf angle backwards in new construction. It looks like a retrofit lintel, not a shelf angle.

Would agree with Richard . . . what’s behind the plywood? . . . anything seen on the interior the plywood covers?

The plywood is actually a boarded up egress window. The other side of the bolts or the metal was not visible on the interior in the basement at the time of the inspection.

Thanks

Jonathan
Jonathan N. Leahy
President
www.arocksolidhome.com](http://www.arocksolidhome.com/)
303-718-7779

Thank you all for your helpful comments and discussion on this one!

Jonathan
Jonathan N. Leahy
President
www.arocksolidhome.com](http://www.arocksolidhome.com/)
303-718-7779

So, how’d you end up with this? Did you call it a brick ledge/shelf angle or lintel? Whatever, to me it is to support the bricks above it and I suspect has no counter-part on the other side of the foundation. I bet the studs are epoxied or otherwise anchored into the foundation.

Do the ends of those bolts hang over the metal grate, and won’t they be in the way if anyone comes out that window and trys to push the grate up?

The metal bolts did extend along the front of the subject property at regularly spaced intervals. The bolts had a very minimal, if any, impact on exit from the egress window. Based on no expression of the metal ledge piece on the interior of the property, it looks like it is a ledge for the brick.

Thanks again all.

Jonathan
Jonathan N. Leahy
President
www.arocksolidhome.com
303-718-7779

I agree.

It looks like either someone mis-read the foundation plans and didn’t pour the foundation wall(s) wide enough for brick.OR brick was an after thought and the prob. was remedied with angle iron.