Structural issue stemming from foundation

I purchased my home in Massachusetts in June of 2012. What started out as a great thing has quickly turned into a first time homeowners nightmare. During our home inspection, I verbally brought up with my inspector that there was a slight noticeable slant to the floors in the back half of the house. I also inquired about foundation cracks. My inspector assured me that all homes are out of level to varying degrees and that the cracks in the basement are hairline and pose no issue. While the inspector noted that there was a slope to some floors and hairline cracks in the foundation, his written recommendation was to simply “seal hairline cracks”. He never recommended obtaining a disclosure from the seller. He did, however, recommend obtaining disclosures for things that are much more simple. For example, he suggested obtaining disclosure for an electric heater that was in the master bathroom, and a disclosure to determine the termination of a downspout that directs into the ground. There was never a recommendation to obtain a disclosure to anything regarding the slant to the floor or the foundation cracks.

A few months ago I had a contractor come out to asses what it would cost to correct the pitch in the house. The pitch actually had been more than inspector implied at the time of the inspection. Over 12 feet, I have a 1.5 inch decline over the back half of my house. The entire length of the house. When a contractor came out, he pulled back insulation in my basement and determined that there was a hack-job repair done to the house years earlier to correct for significant foundation settlement. It turns out that the original homeowner paid someone to cut the subfloor before teh rear wall of the house and to shim it on top of the floor joists. Effectively, the floor joists have been shimmed 2 inches. So, on top of the 1.5 inch decline that is apparent when walking in the house, there is an additional 2 inch decline that has been covered up by a shoddy repair.

I do not have a quote in writing yet, but I was told by my contractor that it would likely require that a significant portion (back half) of my house be pretty much ripped down to the bare structure in order for this issue to be corrected. They cannot simply jack the rear of the house up because of the shoddy construction. The floor joists do not extend and fully support the rear wall of the house in many spots and the wall would likely not come with the structure if I were to jack up at the joists. In order to restore my house to the correct construction, it will likely require a job that is in excess of $50,000.

My contractor recommended I have a structural engineer look at the issue. The conclusion from the engineer is that I need to have a soil sample done below my foundation footings to determine if there is still movement happening. If there is, I will need to address the issue at the foundation before even attempting to correct the structural issue with the framing of my house that I have. I asked the engineer if there is enough here that my home inspector should have recommended a structural engineer come take a look at the house. He responded saying that he has been called out to look at inspected homes based on a home inspectors recommendation for much less than what I have. In terms of what was visible at the time of the inspection.

Cracked foundation floor with some heaving. Vertical cracks at two corners of my foundation. A vertical crack with a large patch job in the center of the rear of the foundation. A crack about 1/4" in width on the exterior rear of my foundation (side leaning) that has a stair-step pattern. Significant pitch in foundation floor (it feels like you are almost walking down a hill in some spots). Floor joists are visibly leaning from the center beam to rear of house.

All in all, this is an absolute nightmare for me. Massachusetts law prohibits inspectors from using language to limit their liability. Home inspectors in this state are also required to carry $250,000 of E&O insurance. Sellers are not required to disclose anything in my state unless directly asked on the subject.

For those that do insepct homes, do you typically recommend a professional come in for subjects that are out of your realm of expertise? Would you have recommended a structural engineer or, at the very least, a disclosure from the seller?

AADD set in ! Darn your keyboard must be hot !
Can you? For us with disabilities paraphrase your issue ?

-Inspector in Massachusetts identified cracks and told me they are non structural. His recommendation was to seal hairline cracks.

-All the floors in the rear of my house slope 1.5 inches over 12 feet. Inspector noted floor slope but told me all houses slope to varying degrees.

-Recently had a contractor and a structural engineer come out to look at my house. Uncovered that there is a structural defect that is because of a shoddy repair. Prior homeowner hired someone to shim the subfloor at floor joists approximately 2.5 inches.

-House is effectively leaning 4 inches of 12 feet.

-Slab floor also drops 4 inches over 12 feet. Feels as if I am walking downhill.

-Structural engineer told me that the cracking in foundation and leaning issue is significant enough that he is surprised a home inspector did not recommend I obtain one prior to purchase.

-Because of the hack-job repair, it will likely cost in excess of $50,000 to repair my home.

For those experienced with inspecting homes, would you typically recommend a structural evaluation by an engineer if you encountered what I described? I can provide images if my description is too vague.

To start with, if you read the inspection agreement between you and your inspector and look at the home inspection rules for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts you probably will see that structural engineering is not part of a home inspection.

If you knew that the floor was slanted, you don’t need a home inspector to tell you that it is. You should of performed your own due diligence in the matter and got a structural inspection on the property before you purchased it. If a floor is supposed to be flat and it looks like a ski hill, wouldn’t it be a good assumption that it either wasn’t built right or something is seriously going on?

I’m not trying to stand up for the home inspector (many of us don’t know our butt from a hole in the ground), but if the two of you had a discussion about it and you didn’t follow up on it, I would say you are as much at fault as the home inspector.

Home inspectors are not supposed to tell you what to do. They cannot tell you to buy the house and not by the house. They are there to observe, document and report conditions as they see them.

Next, you have a contractor come in like Mike Holmes on Homes tearing things apart. Home Inspectors don’t tear anything apart.

Home Inspectors have insurance for making errors and omissions. The insurance is for something that they did, not what you didn’t do and not about what they’re not required to do. They are not required to tear anything apart and they can’t see under the ground. Neither you nor the home inspector owned the property at the time of inspection and have no right to tear into anything that is owned by somebody else.

Instead of talking to us about something we cannot see or knowledgeably comment upon I recommend you contact your home inspector and get some communication going. Then get the old papers out and see what was actually bargained for in your initial inspection agreements. Contact your state if you’re not satisfied and determine what the home inspector’s responsibility is (though we all already know what it’s supposed to be). The matter is if he stepped outside of his responsibility by telling you not to worry about it.

Home inspectors recommend further evaluation more often than they should. As your engineer said, he goes out all of time on insignificant home inspection issues. It’s not the responsibility to recommend anything outside the scope of home inspection. Just observe and report to you what they see “visually”.

You had already seen all of these issues for yourself personally, you shouldn’t need it written down for you. You knew as much as your Home Inspector.

1. there’s some dang good HI’s here, Nachi guys 'n gals

2. i have seen too many HI’s in Michigan talk shtt, nary a clue on THIS subject but many of them open their yappers when they should not have… it screws the buyers most often. They ‘think’ they understand this subject enough or some actual think they know all but I’m telling ya’s, they don’t and they tell homeowners all kinds of incompetent bulllshtt, its the truth…NOT all HI’s here in MI, haven’t seen a Nachi member screw up here like the others.

There’s some good Nachi HI’s here in Mich and homeowners need to FIND them and HIRE them, not the shttheads who are the failed landscaper etc type and then all of a sudden posted a sign and took out an ad and magically became one those ‘best home inspectors’ in Mich.

The good HI’s can get a bad rap due to the shtty HI’s, kind of like in my business, the good, experienced contractors get the same shtty rap DUE to the crooked sob inside system knotheads, yup.

Ok, bye bye.:wink:

The reason I posted here is because I found a Nachi article discussing material defects.

Under the foundation heading of this article, it is stated:

The condition of my home at the time of the inspection falls under the heading of “functional defect”. Doors and windows that run in the direction of the lean stuck, and there is a slope to the floor. I brought up these issues, along with the cracks in the foundation during my inspection and was told, verbally, that they are not an issue. My inspector told me that all homes are out of level. While he is obviously not skilled in this area, is it not his obligation to defer me to consult a structural engineer if I am concerned instead of saying “all homes do this”? My home was built as recent as 2001, not 1901. The visible facts of my home prove that there is a functional defect in my foundation. If an inspector is not responsible for recommending an opinion from a professional in an area that he includes on his report, what am I actually paying him for?

Home inspector in Massachusetts are required to be licensed. While the condition of home is also visible to me, I am not a licensed home inspector. I am not a professional in inspecting homes.

I only brought up the larger issue that was uncovered after simply rolling back insulation (I realize inspectors cannot do this), because I feel that my home inspectors negligence may possibly cost me an enormous sum of money. Had he recommended a structural engineer to examine the functional defect, there is no doubt in my mind this issue would have been uncovered prior to me finalizing the purchase. Nobody had to go Mike Holmes to uncover a much larger issue. All it required was an inspector being diligent and advising that I consult an engineer for an issue that was way over his head.

You are not a professional but is a Home Inspector really one?

Well there you go…

What would you expect from your car mechanic whom you pay to drive your car around the block but don’t hook it up to a computer or test the tire pressure (just give them a kick)?

He will likely hear and feel things (like an uneven floor) that his experience would alert him to, but still…

…no tools!

Now, your next problem; it was “verbal”.
All floors are not un-level.
Not all crooked floors are structural issues.

It should be in the report, one way or the other.

Sounds like you had one of those Real Estate Agent pleasing Inspectors working for you.

By the way, what did he charge you?

Mr. Paul,

Feel bad for you man and all other homeowners/buyers who find problems after moving in.

Page 9… “We also observed reputable engineers’ design solutions that did NOT alleviate the settlement and-or lateral pressure problems”
http://www.amherst.ny.us/pdf/building/soilsstudy/TOASFS_section3.pdf

Just saying, this can be a pretty tough subject… determining the cause(s) and correct solutions or at least, the best possible outcome and so HANDS ON exxxxxxperience is best, not necessarily a title.

Had my own experiences with some SE’s, most were good aka, we were on the same page.
However, have seen a few who/example, recommended to a homeowner, to replace the entire back wall (block) when the only problem with the stupid wall was a few cracks, no bowing etc. I told the homeowner, hand dig it, get x-amount of clay soil off it (and underground roots) and waterproof it and backfill w/all gravel.

IF… it ever began to fail THEN, do/try something else… depends on extent of damage but to replace a wall that just had a few cracks, nope, not me.

She listened to SE, got a new wall built and 1-2 months the wall cracks and leaks.
She spent a nice chunk of money… for?

The contractor who did the job did not come back, she called my azz again.

Just saying, not every SE is going to give every homeowner who calls them the right answer, cause/solution… nope.

Are homeowners better off calling an SE versus an interior system co?
You better believe it, got milk?

Seen some walls bow in and then, WITHOUT anything being done… stay like that, pretty much not move again, not get worse.

Sure, seen the other side of that as well. Some things get worse slowly, some pretty quick

Yes my realtor recommended this inspector. It cost me just over $500 and was conducted over about an hour and a half. I’ve done a ton of research since then and learned that it is always best to hire an independent inspector that has no affiliation with a realtor. Makes complete sense to me now.

My inspector did pull out a level after I questioned the sloped floors and, somehow, determined that the degree of slope is not enough for concern. He told me that all houses are unlevel to some degree. I’m confused because, at what degree out of level must a house be for an inspector to responsibly suggest that it might be wise to bring in a SE? To add to the matter, its not just one area, it is the entire back of half of the house end to end. It is very confusing, being a first time home buyer, when you hear an inspector verbally assure you that the matter in question is not a major issue. It is even worse when you find out, down the line, that what he said was not true.

I’ll put it this way. If I didn’t have a home inspector, in this instance, I would have raised this issue with the seller. The fact that he verbally told me that what we saw was simply common settling and hairline cracks leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Well Paul, it doesn’t look good for you. Sorry you didn’t get better advice.

maybe a different business model…
a PE would be contacted for the inspection when structural issues are identified by client.

PE doing an inspection ahead of mine next week,

Have noticed that SOME home and city inspectors pretty often tell homeowners/potential buyers that STEP CRACKS in block walls is always DUE TO settling, cracked-dropped FOOTINGS and always hear many interior system salespeople tell homeowners this.
Feiza here, at least adds (under Step Cracks) ‘wall movement’ and if he means wall movement due to lateral pressure, my dumb az concurs
http://www.ashireporter.org/HomeInspection/Articles/Basement-Cracjs-and-Leaks/1130

Just want to say that, quite a few step cracks are DUE TO… that’s right, lateral soil pressure, bowed wall… and not due to, least nowhere near this supposed bs that the house is settling, footings problem. NOT saying some home don’t settle, duh! Just saying, loool, often read or hear that homeowners who see a step crack in their wall need PIERS etc etc and that is nonsense!

See step crack in this photo
http://picasaweb.google.com/101049034584960315932/BasementWaterproofing73#5922848647421411042
Eh… quite a few would tell homeowners who see/have something like this that their house is SETTLING and need 55 piers etc, nonsense!

Here’s the outside of SAME area/wall/corner…
http://picasaweb.google.com/101049034584960315932/BasementWaterproofing73#5922849680013125682

Some HI’s, realtors etc would tell homeowners who see something like this that, it’s too small, don’t worry about it, just raise and slope the grade and add a 139’ downspout extension… all nonsense
http://picasaweb.google.com/101049034584960315932/May32013#5873673707353079490

Here’s the outside, this little sht step crack TURNS into a HORIZONTAL crack… down low. Happens pretty often, REGARDLESS of what a HI/whoever may or may NOT see on the inside of the wall
http://picasaweb.google.com/101049034584960315932/May32013#5873674098640727058 CMON! Just because you SEE xyz on the INSIDE of the dumb az basement wall does NOT necessarily mean THAT is what is on the outside.

So you see a little hairline crack and some think its not a problem and they TELL HOMEOWNERS they can solve the leaky basement with better GRADING? loooooooool
COME Onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

This is what i OFTEN hear BUYER–homeowner says, 'Well, the home or city inspector or realtor told me this crack is not a problem and all I had to do was add soil and grade it properly away"
Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. loool
The real problem is, too many tell homeowner bulshttt!

In ASHI article, in the FIRST paragraph and under ‘The Basic Basement Problems’… it says in part, maintenance or SIMPLE REPAIRS ‘OFTEN’ eliminate the need for… and further down, hairline cracks…are not a concern. (see hairline crack in last pica link?)

There’s no simple repair for that hairline step crack that turns into a horizontal…what? Raise and slope grade for better drainage? Really?

Eh, Whyyyyyyyyyyy do so many HI’s, realtors etc offer bulshtt advice, supposed simple-easy solutions on this subject…huh?
Whyyyyyy? Why don’t MOST just say something like, find a good honest experienced SE or contractor to advise you

Then add, top the above off with this CRAP… many realtors and some HI’s and city inspectors recommend inside system knotheads to homeowners, jesus kristmas people!

Eh, which az hole started this, ‘raise and slope the grade away will solve most leaky basements bullllllllllllllsht’, please tell me.

To me that phrase “about an hour and a half” speaks volumes. From your description of the issue, if it is accurate, I would assume the foundation in the basement has dropped approximately 3-5 inches in that area of the home. I don’t see how that could be missed as it would translate into visible movement in everything above it. You can put new siding on horizontally, but you can’t hide that movement at the ridge and the eaves quite as easily. It sounds like he just didn’t look very hard.

But what he said to you at the inspection is irrelevant, not provable and not his report. The written report is where you need to be. Read it. If something isn’t inspected or addressed and it is part of the SOP then there should a reason stated as to why. Any recommendation, no matter how small, will overrule or supersede his statements at the inspection. While it may seem at the surface that he missed or failed to direct you adequately regarding an issue, the report verbiage is what decides that.

Right, and exactly as John Bubber has states, there is clear evidence in my house and foundation that the “hairline” cracks are likely cause for concern. There is no indication in his report, anywhere, that this is the case. My report states does indicate that there are hairline cracks but directs me to simply “seal the cracks”. I’m sorry, but this is the worst advice I’ve ever read. I’ve spent a fraction of the time that my home inspector has educating myself on this matter and I already understand that the cracks exhibited in my basement, at the time of inspection, are more severe than simple hairline cracks due to curing.

My report also describes the basement floor as in good condition. It never suggests that it actually contains a drop off in the realm of 4 inches. Never suggests this at all. This fact is overly apparent to any sole that is educated in assessing a homes condition by simply looking at the back of the basement floor. He completely fails to mention the basement floor drop off at all. He provides an example of the exterior of my foundation, at the back of my house, with a crack that appears to be about slightly more than 1/4" that travels both vertically and horizontally. Again, this is used to provide me with an example of a “hairline crack”. According to his report, I should simply seal hairline cracks. I was completely mislead by his definition and determination of hairline cracks. These are not your standard hairline crack due to curing. These are cracks related to substantial vertical movement in the foundation. Everything in the home suggests this without having to remove anything.

As I have already stated, my report simply instructs me to seal the hairline cracks in my basement. That is a gross understatement of what I need to do. At the very least, I needed to have a structural engineer come out. Any structural engineer that looked at my house, regardless of if they pulled back the insulation around the joists, would conclude that I need soil samples below the footings. I hired a licensed home inspector because the Massachusetts requires them in order to provide some protection to buyers purchasing a home. After all, there is no seller disclosure law in my state unless they are specifically asked a question. At the very least, I think it was my inspectors responsibility to suggest I acquire a disclosure regarding a possible settlement issue with the foundation. He recommended disclosures for issues far more trivial than the foundation. Why would he not recommend I inquire more about the most important part of a home? His general language regarding this aspect of my home states that they routinely recommend to the buyer that they inquire with the seller if there are any foundation problems. If it is a routine, why was I never instructed to do so? It seems to me like this guy didn’t want to raise concern and cause a sale to be lost.

I understand that many inspections, if not most, are good at what they do. I am disgusted with my inspector. He fumbled the most important part of my home and now I am stuck with it due to his negligence.

Just wondering… (some won’t read and open their brains up and learn something from below links, photos, fine! They say too long, same old shtt etc lool Don’t cry when yer az gets sued or you cough up inspection fee)

‘How’ did he suggest to seal the foundation wall cracks? Inside or out?

Some HI’s here is Michigan (no state licensing) tell some homeowners/potential buyers to seal wall cracks on the inside, for any type walls, poured, block etc. Not good.

When some HI’s say ‘seal’, some mean slap some cement etc on/over including block walls.

Others mean epoxy/urethane injections for poured wall cracks which does NOTHING to relieve, reduce any lateral pressure or possible settlement etc problem.

And still others mean exterior waterproofing which, depending on extent of damage to walls… scroll down to 'Basement Wall Damage, cause and Resolution http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpwes/publications/marineclay.htm
…‘depending on the extent of damage, some wall needs to be REPLACED while OTHERS can be REPAIRED’… on/from the OUTSIDE…

There’s a little bit there on footings and tree roots.

Much more here, lateral wall pressure,frost, erosion etc , U S Army Corps Engineers report
http://www.amherst.ny.us/pdf/building/soilsstudy/TOASFS_section3.pdf
… I think they said they only ‘cored’ 5 FLOORS and I think they also said 4 of the 5 were poured significantly less/thinner than 'prints called for.

While a very small sample, interesting to me that any were poured ‘significantly’ thinner
http://www.amherst.ny.us/pdf/building/soilsstudy/TOASFS_section2.pdf PAGE 7
Some contractors cut corners and where were the city inspectors when the floors were poured…just asking. If they don’t have enough inspectors then umm, maybe hire more!
Tired of hearing building departments state they are way understaffed

Sometimes I get tired of hearing some peeps complain and shtt on home inspectors or my types when a lot of these problems started before and when the dumb houses are built, poor design, some builders-subs cutting corners and city inspectors passing just about everything when they’re only on site for 3 1/2 minutes!. This is where changes are needed as well.

One more, little note-- sometimes when foundation walls are rebuilt (they need to be, not all do), the new wall(s) can crack, leak and possibly bow in…new wall, yep. Have seen it quite a few times so, heads up. NEW doesn’t mean it was done right, doesn’t necessarily mean the homeowners problems are all solved

And Paul, don’t mean to go on forever but, imo, do NOT have THIS done/installed…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLjltBxHKfU Morons= more problems.
Yep, interior basement system was installed, 3 sump pumps.
The money spent of THAT junk should have been mostly spent on exterior waterproofing etc.
Same house… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4Vm3vdbF-Y
Interior systems, even if company sells/adds wall anchors or carbon fiber straps do NOT relieve, reduce exterior pressure/weight etc etc, nope.

Sure sure sure, sometimes there’s a PORCH in the way and one may need to install a PARTIAL interior system WHERE the dumb porch is, only!
Hoooooooooooooowever, IF the porch, porch-footing is part of the CAUSE of wall cracks etc then guess what, part of it or all of it has to… go!!!

See many homeowners talked into interior systems when their porch, footing etc was part or most of the CAUSE of the wall bowing in, failing, cracks, leaks.

Then we have times when ROOTS can cause some problems, photos 3 -> 12
And roots can cause differential settlement of soil etc so, heads up
http://picasaweb.google.com/101049034584960315932/BasementWaterproofing09
NO interior system repairs/waterproofs anything like this either.
Nor does re-------------------------GRADING or other nonsense

A home inspector would obviously not see, not know the root was part of problem but, they SHOULD have seen, noted etc etc the cracks visible on the INSIDE of basement.

Now here in MICH, quite a few HI’s actually tell homeowners to NOT worry about little hairline cracks like this, in photos… looooooooooooool, big mistake

Some tell homeowners to ‘seal’ those little cracks, as you said Paul, on the inside.

First 5 photos here, poured foundation walls, another IDIOTIC interior system previously installed, see cracks etc
http://picasaweb.google.com/101049034584960315932/BasementWaterproofing52

Part of the continuing problem here is some dork added a lot MORE SOIL all along/against these walls!!! 1 of the poured walls, maybe 2 , is bowing in WITH HELP from the added soil, yeppers. Added weight/pressure. Cmmmmmon people. How much weight/pressure ya think these walls can withstand, were designed to withstand

This was his recommendation

Here is some of the cracking.

Back corner from outside.

Crack at rear of foundation that was sealed by prior owner. This extends from top to bottom. The prior owner obviously sealed this yet it still shows signs of expanding.

4 ft level on rear foundation wall It is like this the entire length of house

Crack at back corner of foundation. This extends from top to bottom. Was previously sealed and has expanded.

Crack at front corner of foundation. This extends from top to bottom. Prior owner sealed but failed to stop the crack from expanding further.

Slab Floor. This is just a junction point, with slight heaving, of numerous cracks in the slab. The cracks extend to the rear wall, and both side walls of foundation.

4 ft level on back half of slab floor. This is the level for the entire length of the rear of the slab.

Pour line on side wall from exterior of foundation. Evident that whoever poured the foundation did it over multiple days after part of it had already cured. This extends the entire length of the side of the house.

IMO, the HI or anyone else who says, seal the foundation cracks with hydraulic cement on inside is lost, incompetent-suggestion/recommendation as shown in other-photos where someone already slapped crap on inside wall cracks, sheesh!!

Then, apparently being able to SEE at least some of the foundation cracks on the outside and NOT say anything about soil pressure or settling or exterior waterproofing is needed etc etc, is just more bs.
(some would say to inject these cracks with epoxy etc, not my azz and lots of luck kissing the inside system companies azz that some HI’s do, get paid by)

'The foundation is in… GOOD condition".
Slap some hydraulic cement on cracks and everything will be fine huh, man oh man.

Rather hear 'em say NOTHING on ‘what ta do’ and instead say, find and consult a good honest SE etc and shut the pipe hole right there.

But agaiiiiiin, some think they know this subject and make moronic negligent suggestions, supposed solutions.

Do you know who BUILT the house? When was it built (sorry I may have missed that) …just wondering.

Sheeesh, did they even bother to damproof the exterior walls.
And most likely backfilled with same excavated soil and, often, they backfill with other debris/garbage… not good.

Where oh g dang where are the building inspectors?

Your getting the wrong information Mr and Mrs city inspector!

Codes GOT to be changed by for the benefit of home buyers, not the freakin builders!!! Some of us been ssscccreaming about this for years but as usual, nothing is ever done.

Sorry you have these headaches Paul.

… yeah, some wall cracks are due to OTHER causes, sure, we know that but the thing is, the SOIL or roots can ‘take over’, cause future problems!!! Can/could cause smaller existing cracks to widen. Some cracks may not get worse or may not get worse that quick. On the other hand, again lool, the SOIl, lateral soil pressure and other possible causes can… widen 1 or more of the cracks

Homeowners need to be told this shtt, NOT told to slap cement on interior wall cracks!!!
NOT told to raise and slope the dumb az grrrrade!

The I sometimes hear, that Bubba the contractor is just saying these things to get work, looooooollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll. Yeah right, believe it or not, a few of us are NOT anything like these interior system jerk offs or those who wanna sell some homeowners 101 piers and other shtt when, not needed.

Paul, i don’t know if your going to need piers etc, but you do need some exterior waterproofing and it needs to be backfilled correctly and if someone is going to use equipment when doing this they’d best be careful when operating/backfilling.

Sure, you could attempt, pay for interior injections of wall cracks but i wouldn’t recommend that junk

Can post photos of wall anchors ,(not the ones i usually post) installed by Foundation Systems of Michigan when they were NOT, at all, needed. Homeowner of that house OUT that much more $$$, g dang scamming inside systems. Homeowner who had wall anchors installed has recurring cracks etc, i think they installed 10 friggin anchors, what a crock

That sentence is confusing to me. Either the inspector recommended some course of action in the written report regarding the foundation or he didn’t. You statement about him not instructing you sounds like a mention of no verbal instruction.

Again, let me be clear, what the inspector did or didn’t say verbally is irrelevant and not provable unless you have a recording of the inspection. Maybe you could post whatever specific comments were in the report and we could better understand what is your actual situation. There are times where inspectors have very general comments which suggest further evaluation about major components like the foundation. These comments are really designed to protect the inspector regardless of how effectively he does his job. It may not seem fair, but if one of these comments is present, he may have effectively shifted responsibility to you and you will have no recourse.

How are you doing today Mr Cameron? :wink:

Just want to make a lil better point on, companies who will bs homeowners and tell them they need piers, underpinning etc when it is NOT friggin needed, there are/were NO settling problems.

NOT saying some don’t have these problems! Just saying many companies often LIE and push whatever they sell.

Like this senior lady, step cracks and other previous brick, mortar joints problems and repairs. I cannot remember if it was just one or two different co’s BUTT, they told her that her house was settling and she needed piers etc JUST BECAUSE the step crack etc occurred…
http://picasaweb.google.com/101049034584960315932/BasementWaterproofing29#5443386631905902306

http://picasaweb.google.com/101049034584960315932/BasementWaterproofing29#5443386431621276738

Just because some homeowners get some cracks, cracking above grade in their brick/joints does NOT mean they automatically have settling issues, gezzzzzzzz!!!

Just because a basement FLOOR cracks, maybe heaves does NOT automatically mean they have some sort of settling issues! But THIS is what i often hear and its… bullshtt

Just because a corner crack occurred in a foundation wall does NOT automatically mean the homeowner has settling, footing issues!!
http://picasaweb.google.com/101049034584960315932/BasementWaterproofing10#5442193326948161458

Tad different corner-crack… pretty often, YOU will not SEE this type of crack (most, not all, corner cracks) on the inside basement wall, NOPE! BUTT, it sure as shtt exists and it IS why the basement leaks
http://picasaweb.google.com/101049034584960315932/BasementWaterproofing28#5443307865924474722
Soooooo, lool, HI’s or city inp’s or realtors should NOT be making statements like, the foundation is in good condition etc etc…many don’t know/understand what often happens, occurs, on the stupid outside of walls. Jesus man, it ummmmmmmm, helps to know, understand, see over and over what REALLY happens on the outside…eh?

Just because an HI etc can’t SEE IT, does NOT at all mean it doesn’t exist!!!
Hellllo! Existing defects!!! == $$$ for correct repairs
WHO pays for the repairs? Cmoonnnn! YOU wouldn’t want to buy a house and find out shtt like this, existing defects were THERE!!! lool And you have to pay for it WHEN, if someone had consulted an honest expd mfr then, they likely would have saved buyer some cash as ‘some’ know wtf to look for!!! Could have bid LESS for the dumb az house!!!