Structural recommendation

This is an addition. These rafters are attached to the sheathing that is supported by trusses. No obvious structural implications. This is an older home 50+ years. Would you make any recommendations? Have it checked out by structural engineer etc? Thanks everyone. Long live NACHI!

It looks exactly like the addition made to my 100+ year old home. Just note that additions have been made, advise them to ensure the work was preformed by licensed contractors.

Those are rafters or joists? In either case, they don’t appear to be attached to the old roof.

Well, with Nick’s post, I agree that there is no visible evidence based on the photos that the rafters are attached. Assuming that they are, then my statement stands.

I’m sure that those rafters bear onto the trusses that are below the sheathing.

Simply note the addition and call it a day.

It doesn’t look right to me. I’d recommend an upgrade where those rafters are attached, and possibly additional support under that new roof.
If that’s a new low slope roof, it should have been 2X6 or better.

Trusses before 1970 would likely be home-built, with plywood gussets.:mad:

I also mention the fire safety issue of having asphalt shingles in the attic cavity. Imagine fighting a fire in that house?

Judging from how nicely the cuts fit that work looks like it was done by a carpenter and bears on framing below the sheathing. There will be one good solid toenail through the tongue (long point) of the slash cut (cut where the rafter rests on sheathing). Probably a couple of toenails through the sides of each slash cut which catch only sheathing unless blocking was installed. Not likely. Typical for what appears to be its age from the photo.
I wouldn’t call anything.

Not enough pictures to tell…if the rafters are indeed resting of trusses…which I doubt based upon the spacing, 16 inches as opposed to 24 inches on center, AND they are at the peak of the truss I wouldn’t think there would be an issue.

Do you have any pictures from the truss side?

Jeff

You got a point there Jeff, the spacing is pretty obvious in photo #1. Since shingle tabs are usually about 12", those rafters can’t be more than 16" oc, in fact they look less.

Still, it looks like it’s been there a while, and I’d want to see failure before I made a big deal out of it, although now that you’ve pointed out the spacing, I might mention it as non-standard framing.

I would rather call it out before failure occurs…I (and I am sure you as well) have seen framing members being held in place by one nail…we don’t want to end up being the inspector who is explaining himself in court why we missed a serious structural issue…(I am not saying this is one by the way).

Any alteration or additions onto a home ALWAYS raises a red flag to me just for the simple fact that many of these additions are not permitted while equally as many are done by yahoos who happened to have the lowest bid ( I know many of them in our local area…its amazing they are still in business).

Many framers will attach this type of configuration by simply nailing on the top edge (1 1/2 side) of the framing member so that it is not seen once sheathing is placed…the reasoning being that their is less liking of splitting the rafter as well as having more holding power than toe nailing the side while catching very little of the truss or rafter beneath it.
I personally will put a bottom plate that spans across all the rafters however again we are talking low ballers that are not going to spend the extra $50.00 for 2x8’s.

Further evaluation is warranted regardless…preferably being done by the home inspector at the time of the inspection.

regards

Jeff

Mark,

I posted a similar situation in the members only section. To confirm my concerns about the structural integrity of the existing truss roof and the rafter addition, I emailed photos and details to a local structural engineer for comments. He indicated that placing additional load at the ridge of the trusses could be a problem. As we know, truss systems are designed for specific loads, adding additional stress and weight may cause problems with the roof structure. He was also concerned about the connections, but your connections look much better than the one I inspected. The engineer was only offering an opinion based on my photos, an on site evaluation would be required to complete his report.

Hard to tell with limited picture’s. In cases like this I have always removed about 30’’ of plywood near the ridge so the new rafters can be installed or sistered onto the existing one’s. Hard to tell if these are toe nailed and into what? the old rafters or just plywood.

This is a hard call but I would mention it in the report.