Structural Support Damage

Several 10" X 20’ steel columns damaged by forklifts. Does the one on the left also need bracing? The tops are bolted securely at beams.

P1020831.JPG

P1020826.JPG

P1020833.JPG

P1020824.JPG

P1020834.JPG

Hi Erol,

I would simply write which columns have physical damage in the report and say if they want to have them evaluated by a structural engineer here is his phone number.

But if I was buying the building, personally I would not give much thought to the bearing strength they have (by looking at your pictures) anyway.

Hi Buddy. :cool:

Do you mean they’re so bad (from what you can see in the pics) that it’s a no brainer, or that damaged columns like these tend to hold their own weight. :neutral:

No, personally I don’t think the damage poses any imminent structural failure, but I would recommend installing-building some sort of balusters or protection around the columns so they don’t get hit-clipped by something in the future…yada yada…:smiley:

I would write it is my personal opinion, not being an engineer, the columns being obviously damaged probably do not pose any imminent structural failure in the near future, but if damage continues you will be risking the possibility. An engineer can design a repair method for you and also design a protection system so future damage will not occur, therefore I highly recommend you contact an engineer to look at the columns.

And if they would like my engineer to look at the columns, here is his phone number, he charges about 200 bucks which is rather inexpensive.

I agree. Ugly, but not likely to be significant as these interior columns are in compression more so than anything else. The webs appear to be undamaged. . .

I agree. Ugly, but not likely to be significant as these interior columns are in compression more so than anything else. The webs appear to be undamaged. . .

are those columns in the living room Erol???..Might want to recommend posts in front of columns to reduce future impact damage…jmo…jim

The bombing of the Twin Tower Columns were damaged more than than and the building stayed up.

Need of repairs and protection from physical abuse and further damage that could possibly impair the capacities of the structural column.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

I repaired collums like those about 15 years ago. Heated 'em up with a torch, pounded 'em straight with a BFH and welded up the splits. I don’t know if there was a engineeer involved but the owner of the company kept tearing his suit pants whenever he went into the factory. He did tell me a few people got some nasty cuts too. So I’d recommend they be repaired.

Seems to me some lessons in forklift operation may be needed, and probably a wise investment as well. If they can’t see a column one can only imagine what there stock or inventory may look like. LOL