Support posts in crawl space

This is new construction home in Texas hill country. Outer foundation wall is masonry block with pressure treated posts underneath on 8’ centers. The posts are set into soil with concrete.

First pic shows support post that was sort and extended.

Second pic - Should the posts be cross-braced / tied together to prevent racking? The floor joists sit on top of posts; but the posts are not connected to each other.

Where can I find specifications for this type foundation?
Thanks,
Linda

SupportPosts (Small).jpg

I do believe the post are fine that way(no cross bracing), but it looks like termite bait to me. However, I never see this type of construction so I am sure someone will correct me.

If it were a basement, I would not expect to see any cross bracing on columns, but in the case of a basement the beam(s) can’t move due to the foundation being stabilized by earth on the other side. I wonder if there is earth or air on the other side of this foundation wall. If it is air, I would want something to stabilize the structure.

Picture 100_1129

While this is likely carrying the load from the deck, my concern would be that the extension should be fastened to the lower larger column and the deck joist fastened to the extension top. Appearance wise it sucks, so on that note scrap the above and replace with one post.

Picture Support Post

Are any of the post out of plumb? The one behind the first coumn appears out of plumb, maybe its the photo angle.

None of that would fly in my state. . . Maybe things don’t move in Texas.

Quake States are a whole new ballgame.:wink:

Still Termite bait. lol

When I see this I look close at the rest of the Deck How is the ledger board fastened .Is it Lagged or through bolts to the structer Is there flashing so the ledger does not get soaked when it rains they do not dry well on the wall side and this leads to Rot Is there proper Hangers for the deck Joice’s did the use the proper nails and fill all the Joice hangers holes . Did they put the deck planks on correctly so they do not cup when they get wet and hold the water . How about the Railing Is it well fastened and the correct height ( 36 or 42 ) inches depending on regulations . 4 Inch gap and for spindles the gap under the rail should not be over 4 inches .
Worried about racking this can be controlled under the deck with BIG X fastened on the under side on the Joice’s . Not to columns . This is a disaster not fastened to the deck and the small extensions.
Posts in soil will rot out . Write it all up.
Could fall out with a few kids doing what kids should do .
I find many decks are not built correctly and they are an accident waiting to happen . These are where big liability claims are launched
Roy Cooke

The masonry block wall sits on a concrete pier, and there is air on both sides of masonry block wall. The following 2 pic may give some perspective. The posts pics were taken inside opening of block wall.

The floor joists are nailed to the top of the posts, similar to beach house construction, but those are usually bolted.

The posts are pressure treated.

100_1084 (Small).jpg

100_1126 (Small).jpg

very poor design, no engineer would design that.

I would recommend an engineer on this one.

Are you sure that house wasn’t across the border into Mexico?

Actually, Jeff, I think it would fly in our state, probably a mile or so away. :smiley:

I have seen treehouses and childrens play-structures that looked better engineered than that…and far more secure looking as well.

The key phrase here is “looking”. As I am not an structural engineer, I would definately call for another look.

wow that is scary looking

Linda

Surely these posts are temparary supports until the Builder is ready to set the finished product.
The pictures are indicative of backyard construction.

I agree. The posts appear not to be level, put up in a hurry. NO self-respecting builder that I know of would do this type pf work on a permanent basis.

Or in higher wind load areas … like southeast Texas for example.

Probably wouldn’t fly in most areas.

And CA is not the only area with higher earthquake loading … just more well known/frequent. In fact, I believe Alaska has had the highest magnitude earthquake on record in the US … :shock:

JMO