InterNACHI releases online How to Perfom Wind Mitigation Inspections course.

Thanks Nick…!

Thank you Nick you always come thru for us…

Quiz H question 2 does not appear to be correct.

Roof deck attachments must be strengthened and a secondary water barrier must be installed – regardless of the house value.
??

Also any plans to add training on the completion of the OIR-1802 form?

Yes, once we know it is the final adopted form.

Quiz C Question 7 appears to have a misspeled ;-)word. retrained should be restrained?

Sec. 6 Egress & shutters appears to have a misspelled word. swelling should be dwelling?

Christopher,
It’s in reference to a summary of the 2007 Florida Mitigation Requirements

**When A Roof Is REPLACED:  ****Everywhere in the state of Florida:**

Roof deck attachments and fasteners must be strengthened or corrected and a secondary water barrier must be installed as required by Rule 9B-3.0475 F.A.C. as amended 4-6-08 and section [FONT=&quot]553.844](http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0553/SEC844.HTM&Title=->2008->Ch0553->Section%20844#0553.844) [/FONT]of the Florida Statutes. This applies regardless of house value.

I’ll tweek the question a little. Thanks for your help. How about a free home maintenance book? http://www.nachi.org/now.htm

Ben, the rule that you are refering to has been superceeded by a further ammendment dated 7/17/09 (see below)

Regards

Gerry

Gerry,
Hmmm… I admit… It’s hard to follow all these changes and amendments, rules and statutes in Florida. There are so many.

However, I believe that the document to which you refer is written by and for Broward County. The Statute that the course refers to is for all of Florida (including Broward).

The Florida Building Commission approved a number of new regulations that inspectors should be aware of.

Pursuant to Section 553.833 of Florida Statutes, strengthening of existing site-built, single-family homes is now required under certain conditions - such as when a roof on an existing site-built, single family residential structure is replaced. Roof-decking attachment and fasteners must be strengthened and corrected as required by the 2007 Manual of Hurricane Mitigation Retrofits for Existing Site-Built Single Family Residential Structures (The Guide,) Section 201.1. A secondary water barrier should be provided as required by section 201.2 of The Guide.

Generally stated: All re-roofing permits for single-family residential structures applied for on or after October 1, 2007 require a secondary water barrier as defined in section 201.2.

Amendments to the ruling 9B-3.0475 Mitigation Retrofits Required has been repealed twice. Once in 4/6/2008 and again in 7/29/2009.

All that being said… The course material teaches that: (a) roof deck attachments must be strengthened and (b) a secondary water barrier must be installed on all retrofits (re-roofings). Which is in agreement with the Broward County document to which you refer.

Thanks, Gerry.

How to Perform Wind Mitigation Inspections

Also important to note that while the current roofing code requires a SWR be installed on all new roofs many counties allow two layers or 50% overlapped roofing felt to count as a SWR where as the My Safe Florida Home does not consider this a SWR.

Glad to help anytime the end result helps inspectors.

Fixed. Thanks!

roof-edge-damage-wind-mitigation-internachi-ben-gromicko.jpg

roof-edge-damage-wind-mitigation-internachi-ben-gromicko.jpg

[quote=“bgromicko, post:10, topic:43561”]

Gerry,
Hmmm… I admit… It’s hard to follow all these changes and amendments, rules and statutes in Florida. There are so many.

However, I believe that the document to which you refer is written by and for Broward County. The Statute that the course refers to is for all of Florida (including Broward).

[

Sorry Ben posted the wrong .pdf, here’s the one you need.

Gerry](“http://www.nachi.org/wind-mitigation-inspection-course.htm”)