NYS Requires Modules, Not Sections

Our offices received several phone calls which stated that the state was approving sections (25 hours plus exam), rather than modules.

I contacted NYS, Dept. of State and verified that NYS requires Modules 1, 2, 3 and 4 and they are as follows:

Modules are as set forth in the NY State Guidelines:
Module 1
Structural
Exterior
Roof
25 hours + Final Exam

Module 2
Interior
Insulation and Ventilation
Electrical
25 hours+ Final Exam

Module 3
Heating
Cooling
Plumbing
25 hours + Final Exam

Module 4
Overview of Profession
NYS License Law
25 hours + Final Exam

These are the NY State Approved Modules and the NYS required topics within the modules for which graduates will receive a certificate, which clearly states these topics.

Much luck and success to all Home Inspectors.

Happy New Year! See you all in 2007 at the National Convention!

Note that some schools in New York use courses/sections that directly correspond to the NYSDOS required modules … but they just dont call them modules. The only requirement I am aware of is that the 100 hours of classroom training (meeting the NYSDOS requirements for content) be completed prior to taking the field training course.

For example at Long Island University (LIU), where I am an Adjunct Professor at both the C.W. Post and Southampton campus, it was decided to offer the module that covers general information, practice issues, and the law first. That made more sense to us … and that is how typical HI training is done for those that have been doing it for a while (look at any of the other well established HI training programs that have also been around for a while, like ITA’s for example). It includes general information (overview of the profession, licensing law, standards of practice, agreements, tools, reports, etc) that is helpful in the technical areas that follow. Also look at any decent home inspection book to see what they cover first.

I think it’s a no brainier that a general introduction and overview start off any training program, regardless of what you call it

P.S. The only other local school with a comprehensive HI training program that has been around as long as LIU’s also set up thier progran to start off with an introduction (go figure) as follows:

At LIU the first class is Course XHIP-101, which directly corresponds to NYSDOS Module #4 (25 hrs).
This is then followed by Course XHIP-102, Course XHIP-103, and Course XHIP-104 (each 25 hrs) which covers technical areas.
This is then followed by Course XHIP-105 which is the 40 hours of field training.
LIU has always followed that format for many many years, even before licensing (and the required training/education) became effective in NY, and it has worked very well.

Note that the training does not have to be described as “Modules”. As far as I am aware, a school can call the various 25 hour elements as Modules, Courses, Sections, etc. as they feel fit. The bottom line is it needs to be 100 hours of classroom training followed by 40 hours of field training.

**The key thing to check is that the school’s HI training program has been approved by the NYSDOS. Check the listing here … **http://www.dos.state.ny.us/lcns/homeinsp-qualschools.htm

JMO & 2-nickels … :wink:

I did not know that CW POst teaches the courses in a different sequence. I am sure that causes many to ask questions about the inspection and report writing process well before they were taught the components which are part of Module 1, 2 and 3. I am sure this is addressed.

We offer the modules in sequential order. We also manage and issue certificates for module 5. Many schools are having a Licensed Home Inspector or Inspectors do rather than coordinating it via the school. This would require the student to maintain and submit a log of their inspections (subject to DOS review) rather than a Module 5 Certificate with an approval code.

I am sure that each program has strengths and weaknesses which each student will help to make programs better. For me, I am proud of our grads who have completed each program, proud of our instructional staff and proud of Len Ungar, who has done a tremendous job with his assistance in Module 5. We are happy with the students, the program, and offering students who graduate, membership to NACHI, as well as software to start their career.

Much luck and success. Happy New Year to all. See you all at the National Convention in 2007.

Maybe I am wrong, but why would a school call each Module, for which a school receives an approval code, anything other than the 25 hour or 40 hour module? To change the name may confuse a student entering the field. Again, that is just my opinion. NYS, DOS has recommended that I refer to each Module as Module 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, and I will continue to do this as per state recommendations.

I helped set up the curriculative outline. The modules should be referred to as modules, and contain all those elements as defined by the state.

Thanks Joe:

Thats what they State of New York told me, and as such we refer to each Module as a Module.

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year. See you all at the National Convention in 2007. Don’t forget to get your passports now to avoid the Winter/Spring rush.

Perhaps that was the original intent, but not a current requirement per the copy I have of the NYSDOS education guidelines sent to LIU, and not a provision of 19 NYCRR Subpart 197-2 “Home Inspection Qualifying Courses”.

LIU also doubled checked with NYSDOS prior to establishing the course names they set up (to match the LIU Course ID system) just to make sure it was okay. And to avoid any confusion they did identify the module with the course description … e.g. Course XHIP-101 HI General Introduction (NYSDOS Module #4).

Criticizing the course names for training that has been approved seems a bit petty (although I think I understand why … :roll: ), and really a moot issue … as the bottom line is the education program needs to be approved. The important thing is to make sure any training is NYSDOS approved by checking the listing they have … http://www.dos.state.ny.us/lcns/homeinsp-qualschools.htm

In any event, I wish everyone a happy holiday and prosperous new year … :wink:

Excellent post Rob.:wink:

Best wishes to you and yours for a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year.

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/proposed_regs/homeinspectionqualcourses.htm
(adopted and approved by NYS, DOS- All schools must clearly list the Module being taught! NYS only approves Modules and assigns each Module an approval #)

A new Subpart 197-2 of Part 197 of Title 19 of the NYCRR is adopted to read as follows:
Subpart 197-2
Home Inspection Qualifying Courses

§197-2.1 Approved entities.
Home Inspection courses and offerings may be given by any college or university accredited by the Commissioner of Education of the State of New York or by a regional accrediting agency accepted by said Commissioner of Education; public and private schools; and home inspection related professional societies and organizations.
§197-2.2 Request for approval of courses of study.
Applications for approval to conduct courses of study to satisfy the requirements for licensed home inspector shall be made at least 60 days before the proposed course is to be conducted. The application shall be prescribed by the Department to include the following:
(a) name and business address of the proposed school which will present the course;
(b) if applicant is a partnership, the names and home addresses of all the partners of the entity;
© if applicant is a corporation, the names and home addresses of persons who own five percent or more of the stock of the entity;
(d) the name, home and business address and telephone number of the education coordinator that will be responsible for administering the regulations contained in this part;
(e) locations where classes will be conducted;
(f) title of each course to be conducted;
(g) detailed outline of each module, together with the time sequence of each segment;
(h) final examination to be presented for each course, including the answer key;
(i) all times included on each test form must be consistent with content specifications indicated for each course. Weighing of significant content areas should fall within the weight ranges indicated. All reference sources used to support each correct answer must be included. Linkage to each answer must be indicated with a footnote showing page number, subject matter, etc.;
(j) description of materials that will be distributed;
(k) the books that will be used for the outline and the final exams; and
(l) a detailed description of the means of providing the 40 hour field based training.
§197-2.3 Subjects for study - home inspection.
The following are the required subjects to be included in the course of study in home
inspection for licensure as a home inspector, and the required number of hours to be devoted to each such subject. All approved schools must follow this course syllabus in conducting their program.
Home Inspection Course Modules - 140 hours
Module 1
Structural
Exterior
Roof
25 hours
Final Exam
Module 2
Interior
Electrical
25 hours
Final Exam
Module 3
Heating
Cooling
Plumbing
25 hours
Final Exam
Module 4
Overview of Profession
NYS License Law
Report Writing
25 hours
Final Exam
Module 5 40 hours
(1) 40 hours of unpaid field-based training in the presence of and under the direct supervision of a home inspector licensed by New York State, or a professional engineer or architect regulated by New York State who oversees and takes full responsibility for the inspection and any report produced.
(2) Students have the option of not completing the field-based training by an approved school; however, all entities requesting approval for the Home Inspection qualifying curriculum must be approved for and make available to their students the 40 hours of unpaid field-based training and provide the Department of State with a detailed description of the means for providing the training.

(3) Schools must maintain a log of all inspections completed for purposes of providing proof of each student’s field based training. The log must contain the following information:
(a) the student’s name;
(b) the date of the home inspection;
© the address of the property inspected;
(d) the name of the client;
(e) the amount of time that was spent on the inspection; and
(f) the name, unique identification number and signature of the licensed home inspector, professional engineer or architect.
(4) Approved entities must verify hours of training and provide the student with a certificate of completion.
(5) If Field-based training is not completed by an Approved Home Inspection School, the student must maintain a log of all inspections completed for purposes of providing proof of their field based training. The log must contain the following information:
(a) the date of the inspection;
(b) the address of the property inspected;
© the name of the client;
(d) the amount of time that was spent on the inspection; and
(e) the name, unique identification number and signature of the licensed home inspector, professional engineer or architect.
(6) Completed home inspections must be maintained by the licensed home inspector, professional engineer or architect, and are subject to review by the Department of State.
§197-2.4 Equivalency pre-licensing education courses completed prior to January 1, 2006.
(a) The criteria for approval of courses completed prior to the January 1, 2006, shall be that the course or courses have substantially covered the same subject matter, classroom hours of attendance and completed standards as prescribed by this Subpart as a prerequisite of licensing.
(b)Application for course evaluation must be accompanied by an official transcript or other documentation showing the subjects taken, the hours of instruction devoted to each subject and the hours attended by said applicant together with the date completed. In addition, a course description or outline must be provided by the school along with an applicant’s equivalency request.
©The Department may request additional supportive documentation to determine course equivalency.
§197-2.5 Computation of instruction time.
To meet the minimum statutory requirement, attendance shall be computed on the basis of an hour equaling 50 minutes. For every 50 minutes of instruction there shall be an additional 10 minute break. The time of the breaks shall be left to the discretion of the individual education coordinator. Breaks shall not be considered optional, nor are they to be used to release the class earlier than scheduled.

§197-2.6 Attendance and examinations.
(a) No person shall receive credit for any course module presented in a class-room setting if he or she is absent from the class room, during any instructional period, for a period or periods totaling more than 10 percent of the time prescribed for the course module pursuant to section 197-2.3 of this Subpart, and no person shall be absent from the class room except for a reasonable and unavoidable cause.
(b) Students who fail to attend the required scheduled class hours may, at the discretion of the approved entity, make up the missed subject matter during subsequent classes presented by the approved entity.
© Final examinations may not be taken by any student who has not satisfied the attendance requirement.
(d) A make up examination may be presented to students at the discretion of the approved entity. Make up examinations must be submitted for approval to the Department in accordance with guidelines noted in section 197-2.2 of this Subpart.
(e) All examinations required for course work shall be written and given within a reasonable time after the course work has been conducted. The failure of the final exam shall constitute failure of the course module.
§197-2.7 Facilities.
Each course shall be presented in such premises and in such facilities as shall be necessary to properly present the course.
§197-2.8 Record retention.
All organizations conducting approved courses of study shall retain the attendance records, the final examinations and a list of students who successfully complete each course module for a period of three years after completion of each course module. All documents shall at all times during such period be available for inspection by duly authorized representatives of the Department of State.

§197-2.9 Faculty.
(a) Each instructor for an approved home inspection course of study must be approved by the Department of State. To be approved, an instructor must submit an application along with a resume reflecting three years of experience as a home inspector during which time the applicant has completed at least 250 home inspections.

(b)An instructor who does not qualify under subdivision (a) of this section may be approved as a technical expert if the instructor submits an application and resume establishing, to the satisfaction of the Department of State, that the applicant is an expert in and has at least three years’ experience in a specific technical subject related to home inspection. Approval by the Department of State shall specify the subject(s) within the home inspection course or course module for which approval is given.
§197-2.10 Policies concerning course cancellation and tuition refund.
Any educational institution or other organization requesting from the Department of State approval for home inspection courses must have a policy relating to course cancellation and tuition refunds. Such policy must be provided in writing to prospective students prior to the acceptance of any fees.
§197-2.11 Revocation, suspension and denial of course approval.
The Department of State may deny, suspend, or revoke the approval or renewal of a home inspection course or a home inspection instructor, if it is determined that they are not in compliance with applicable law and rules, or if the offering does not adequately reflect and present current home inspection knowledge as a basis for a level of home inspection practice, or if the course provider or instructor has obtained, used or attempted to obtain or use the Department of State’s home inspection examination questions. Prior to the denial of an application, suspension or revocation, the course provider or instructor shall have the opportunity to be heard by the Secretary of State or his designee.

§197-2.12 Advertisements.
Any education institution or other organization offering approved courses may not make or publish any false or misleading statement regarding employment opportunities which may be available as a result of the successful completions of a course or as a result of acquisition of a home inspector license.

§197-2.13 Auditing.
A duly authorized representative of the Department of State may audit any course offered, and may verify attendance and inspect the records of attendance of the course at any time during its presentation or thereafter.

§197-2.14 Open to public.
All courses approved pursuant to this Subpart shall be open to all members of the public regardless of the membership of the prospective student in any home inspection related professional society or organization.
§197-2.15 Certificates of completion and student lists.
(a) Evidence of successful completion of a course module must be furnished to students in certificate form. The certificate must indicate the following: name of the student; name of the course provider; title of the home inspection module; number of hours; code number of the module; a statement that the student, who shall be named, has satisfactorily completed a course of study in home inspection subjects or unpaid field-based training approved by the Secretary of State in accordance with the provisions of section 197-2.3 of this Subpart, and that his or her attendance record was satisfactory and in conformity with the law, and that such module was completed on a stated date. The certificate must be signed and dated with an original signature by the owner or course coordinator.
(b) A list of the names and addresses of students who successfully complete each course module must be submitted to the Department of State within 15 days of completion of a course module.

If a school wishes to teach a course out of sequence, they should notify the student as to which Module they are taking and when. NYS requires the certificates, attendance and final exams to clearly state the module.

Why wouldn’t the school list the actual module attended?

Maybe your missing this, but 19 NYCRR Subpart 197-2 identifies the subjects and hours required, but does NOT state they must be referred to as “Modules”. That is consistent with the NYSDOS guidelines I have, and was also confirmed with them.

LIU issues Certificates for the courses (e.g. LIU Class XHIP-101) which also identifies the NYSDOS module number on the Certificate.

They key is the program must be approved.

Do students know which module they are signing up for in advance, or do they find out when they receive their certificate?

See my post from above

As indicated LIU does idetify what module each “Course” corresponds too. Although I think that matters little as students usually sign up for the entire training program (similar to the ITA format). A few have just taken the 100 hrs of classroom training with the intent of doing the 40 hrs of field training while working for someone (although you have to be careful there). But thats obvious anyway just from the names/titles.

Hope everyone has a happy and prosperous new year … :wink:

As long as students are aware of which module they are attending, then students are not mislead. For example, a school recently sent out literature indicating modules yet their web site stated sections. When both are looked at side by side it appears that the sections and modules were the same #, however their section 1 is actually Module 4. Iam sure it ws a mistake and I contacted them regarding same. I would be happy to e-mail, fax or even post the flier.

I wouldn’t want a student to take a section, thinking it is a specific module, only to find out it is not the correct course. You are correct, if a student signs up for all 4 modules then it shouldn’t be a major probloem, unless they fail or take ill and must retake that module at a different school.

Happy New Year. See you all next year at the National Conference.

Rob,

With all due respect, I believe you are in violation of law by teaching out of sequence. I will ask the DOL next week, but heres the specific language of the law, as currently written:

§197-2.3 Subjects for study - home inspection.

The following are the required subjects to be included in the course of study in home inspection for licensure as a home inspector, and the required number of hours to be devoted to each such subject.

All approved schools must follow this course syllabus in conducting their program.

Home Inspection Course Modules - 140 hours

Module 1
Structural
Exterior
Roof
25 hours
Final Exam

Module 2
Interior
Electrical
25 hours
Final Exam

Module 3
Heating
Cooling
Plumbing
25 hours
Final Exam

Module 4
Overview of Profession
NYS License Law
Report Writing
25 hours
Final Exam

The issue comes with the words “this course syllabus”. Which is where the sections versus modules thing can be mis-interpreted. So long as the modules are intact, its probably okay,but I believe you should be including something like “Section 1 (NY State Module 4)” in your course advertisement. Again, what you previously posted did not group the subjects as outlined by the state into sequential sections, modules, or whatever else you call them. If you had comething called section one, and it included the materials found entirely in Module 4, then probabkly okay. Unfortunately, i do not see that, and i also do not see its okay to deviate based on the section of law you referred to.

I can recall you having a problem way back when with the sequence of training, and the state told you (I believe) that things were already set. Was there a reason for the deviation from the State’s guideline?

FYI … In addition to the LIU approvals as “Courses” and verbal advisements, I recently received written confirmation from NYSDOS that schools are indeed permitted to use names for the various educational training segments other than “Modules”.

Any completion paperwork issued to students and/or NYS must also identify the corresponding NYSDOS Module number and list the approval code.

LIU was also recently notified by NYSDOS that Module 4 (law, practice, and reports) should be given first. I am waiting on written confirmation of that, and will advise when received.

As long as students are aware of which module they are registered for, I can see you calling it whatever helps you markt it. I was happy to see that ARES now shows the corresponding Module for each “section” you teach for them.

Much luck and success in your programs.