How to Perform Residential Electrical Inspections

This open, public forum thread is dedicated exclusively for those students currently enrolled in the InterNACHI free, online How to Perform Residential Electrical Inspections Course.

Students may:

• write essays;

• discuss topics;

• ask questions; and

• share thoughts with other students.

To get back to the beginning of the course.

To get back to the course’s writing assignment.
Need help? Ben Gromicko ben@internachi.org

14 Likes

lol…it will…imagine that…

Hi, I am taking this course right now, and I had a suggestion for a definition change. In the Simple Theory section of Understanding How Electricity Works, you defined power as follows:
Power: is the amount of work that the electrical flow can do. This is expressed as watts or kilowatts (1,000 watts).

However, this is not entirely true. Power is defined as the rate at which either: energy is consumed or work is performed. So a 100W lightbulb consumes 100 Joules of energy per second (because 1 watt = 1 J/s). Because power is energy/time it makes sense why kilowatt-hours are actually a measurement of energy:
energy/time x time = energy

Simply stating that power is the amount of work that an electrical flow can do is true, but it better describes potential energy. Power is more accurately the amount of work that an electrical flow can do in a given period of time, hence the watt is the joule per second.

Not that it really makes much of a difference for the scope of this course, I just thought I’d point that out in case you agreed and felt like editing a future edition of the course. Regardless, thanks for all of the courses. I’ve been learning a lot so far.

3 Likes

Hi, During the course we are told to use the terms grounded, ungrounded and grounding conductors, and then in the exams and quizzes terms like Hot, Neutral and Earth are used. Could I suggest that the taxonomy in the Quizzes and Exams are changed to meet the standard (not frequently called) term. It is OK to use the regular and proper terms in the text of the course (as long as they are both used to show they mean the same thing), but if you want all inspector to use the correct Electrical terms, they should be correct in the exams.

3 Likes

Hank. Yes. Thank you for the compliment and for pointing out the definition change.

2 Likes

Leonard, you’re correct. Good catch. Thanks.

I’m ecstatic about taking this course

1 Like

I never proofed this exam as Gerry took care of that portion as I only reviewed NEC references. I would not mind going back over this at some point.

1 Like

No Paul you have no access you trouble maker.:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

1 Like

Well getting started on the electrical inspection:mrgreen:

LOL…I better have access as I am a past Member of the Year…Remember 2007:)

just getting started

ready to go

ready to go!!

Starting electrical section.

getting started on my electrical inspection test

Getting ready to dive in to the course!:smiley:

Ready to start Residential Electrical Inspections.

How do you review any questions you missed on the final exams??

electricity!

Electric!