automotive portable GPS... any recommendations

i am shopping for a GPS for my truck… any recommendations? there are so many… i dont want to make a mistake? any companies to stay away from… i really just need it for the state and new england… no plans to drive across country…

i dont want to spend a fortune… some are as high as 700.00

actually my wife and daughter insist on getting me one for my birthday and I dont want THEM to spend a lot on it…

I got a Magellan 4040 about 4 months ago for about $450. Works great for me.

trying not to brake the bank for something i get by without right now… it will make life easier but trying to keep it 200-300 range… Tom Tom, Garmin, Magellan all have versions for that rate…

what is speach to text?

Jeff, my daughter bought one for my wife for Christmas and works real well.

I believe it was under $300. It is a Garmin Street Pilot.c330

Talks to you and tells you where to go.

Marcel :slight_smile:

thanks Marcel

so many options… trying to keep it simple…

We bought a Garmin Nuvi 200w recently. The “w” stands for wide screen which we appreciate as our eyes get older. It was on sale for @299, I believe. My wife took it in her carry-on to California and it is small enough to do that easily.:smiley:

I checked. We paid $249 but I see them on the web for around $200. Touch screen, very easy to use, all 48 states and other things like restaurants, gas stations, attractions, etc. After allt he research we did we are very happy.

Here is a
Demo
and
Review

Might want ask, which ones have an update costs. I have a Garmin StreetPilot i3 and (it appears) you need to buy a cd to update the maps year to year. I’ll be moving one after 1 year. :wink:

tom

Oh yea, we bought the “bean Bag” type mount which was a little pricey ($40 or so) but necessary to go from car to car if you don’t want it stuck to you window…illegal in California and some other states.

Jeff, here is the one I have and prices.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Garmin%20StreetPilot%20c330%20GPS%20Receiver:1991712083

Some other models to.

Marcel :slight_smile:

you guys are great…

i was noticing the Tom Toms have an updatable mapping where you hook to pc to update maps… you can send updates to share… construction etc… that was interesting…

I am leaning towards the Garmin c340
has text to speach which drives up the cost of the tom tom and others…

Circuit city has it for 219.95

From what I hear Jeff, that is a good model, I have the c330 and love it.
mine goes in the windshield or mount on the dash, but do not leave it in the car. Lock it up in the truck, out of sight our of mind.

Good price.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I’d go with the Garmin.
Oh, did I mention I own some of Garmin stock?:mrgreen:

My daughter is stationed in Germany and she loves it .
Park car mark the spot go shopping and it brings them back to the car.
Loves it She said in a different country its is fantastic.
…Cookie
</IMG>

Garmin c330 here too. My wife also got one. We picked hers up on Black Friday for $125. I think the c340 has a few more options, but I have yet to find something that I needed the 330 to do that it wouldn’t do.

Yes, many sports people use them outside too. It has an 8 hour battery life and is only about 1/2" or so thick so works well for that. It has a mode for that and can mark many way points, etc.:smiley:

Are you referring to your wife or the Street Pilot?? Mine ***YELLS ***at me and tells me where to go.:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

If you don’t have vision problems, the screen size isn’t important. As a matter of fact, a large screen can be a safety issue because it is enticing to watch the screen, when you should be watching the road. I have a Garmin Street Pilot with text-to-speach. I don’t have to do anything but listen to that Austrailian girl guide me home. I like the small screen of my system, because it doesn’t comsume too much windshield space.

Funny Linas, but the first time I used mine to show her how it works, I got to the destination and took a left turn instead of a right turn on purpose and I got yelled at by the Wife and yelled at by the Garmin.

You have made a wrong turn. [size=2]Didn’t you hear what it said? Wife[/size]

Correcting, correcting. [size=2]Garmin[/size]

Felt like I was in Lost in Space Movie. ha. ha.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :smiley: :wink: