Clamp Meter ADvice

Bought this on Ebay and it was advertised as 600 A, arrived today and its 400A
Amprobe ACD-14 PLUS TRMS Dual Display Digital Clamp Multimeter 600A **

I think most situations 400A is plenty, if I do industrial I will need the 600A tool.
I can send it back but why bother as all I do right now is residential.

Agree/ disagree?

Why do you think you need it?

Save that one for the residential jobs or return it. Some of the industrial inspections I’ve are in the 2000A range. Of course I’m not the one taking the readings, but they do often use my meter.

I bought it because why not keep getting better as an inspector? At the least I can tell if the phases on the feeders are pulling the same amount of current.

As Chuck says others will do the measuring in industrial but in a residential setting I’m not likely to see more than a 400 amp service, had one a few months ago and on 6000SF homes they are common.

On returning it, I only paid $50 for it and if it will do residential I’m satisfied. I like calling an electrician if theres a problem but simple testing in a residential property I’m good with.

I’m not qualified to do industrial so thats not a concern right now.

How do you intend to load the panel?

Its an honest question.

I don’t know why you would need more for residential. I only use mine for a few things.

Just turn everything on.

:roll::roll::roll:

oof dah.

Don’t go speaking German on me.

Got the clamp meter today. You tube is full of videos on how to use it. No problem.

Fixed my TV by changing out capaciters.
New wheel bearings on the truck
Garden work
And many other new skills over the years.

Much came from You Tube.

I got a nice $400 clamp as a free bonus with my FLIR camera. Now I need to learn how to use it.

See you on You Tube.:smiley:

I have never seen many that do pull the same amount why does that concern you and would you put it in a report

Just learning Charley. It was just an example. I knows my limitations.

You did not answer my question;-)

Didn’t say I would put it in a report.
Just said I could test with it.

I am a new thermographer, Level 1 which means I don’t know very much. I am starting Level 2 which is difficult for me to grasp right now but it is more about quantitative reporting which in my understanding means after you do a thermal scan and find an anomaly2 you might need other test equipment to determine what your problem is.

Feeder cables could be checked for balance and loading.
Also I couldd check the nuetral for overloading.

Like I said I’m new at this and looking to be a more educated inspector, give me some time and I will be.

In the meantime, I would avoid guessing.

Can you think of a circumstance would cause a grounded conductor to be overloaded on a branch circuit? On a feeder? Do you know the relationship between the current load on the ungrounded conductors and grounded conductors on a single phase system? These are things you want to know before you start going wild in a panel with your new toy and writing about unbalanced feeders in your reports.

I won’t be writing anything in a report anytime soon after using my new toy.
I already spent some time reading about how the clamo meter is used and what affects it.

Never claimed I was an electrician and I have no trouble admitting I am a student.

If you take the opportunity to research and find answers to the questions I posed, you will learn something valuable in the process.

I see you and Nick must have kissed and made up are you over your toot now:p;-)

I plan on doing that. Thanks!

In the middle of a report right now, on break, I personally feel I need to know more as I want to be more than an “average” inspector.

1 Like