Does anyone include InterNACHI's Life Expectancy Chart with every inspection report?

Estimated Life Expectancy Chart

I include one in my reports but may switch to this one as it is more detailed.

I don’t.

We’ve decided to include it in our 12 Steps That Help Home Inspectors Avoid Lawsuits as we’ve seen recent consumer complaints about inspectors incorrectly predicting life expectancy.

That is exactly why one should not predict life expectancy…

Why even put the thought in the client’s mind?!
Things can fail at any time. That is what I state and that is all I want them to know or think about.

The thought is already in their mind every time an inspector tells a client that something will need to be replaced in the near future. The purpose of the chart is 2-fold: First, to push the prediction over to an InterNACHI document that the inspector can point to as a third-party. The second is to re-remind (by way of clauses within the chart) that life expectancies vary and that there is no warranty with regard to how long something will last.

That is because we shouldn’t, we are not paid for that and in my opinion there is no way to do it accurately…way to many variables.

I seldom say that, but do use your chart if I do.

I still think that in most cases, that is not a good general practice.
The current condition by it self is sufficient.
If the roof looks like crap, but is not leaking, it does not need repair. They can buy the house “as is”. It is quite obvious that it will need to be replaced in the near future.

Just because an air conditioner is beyond the life expectancy on your chart, does not mean it requires a replacement. I see absolutely no reason to even suggest that it may require replacement just because of its age. If the condition of it is such that replacement would be better than repair, I tell them not to fix it if it cost more than a certain amount of money.

Home inspection is a “snapshot in time” and doing anything that will circumvent that perception is unnecessary and outside of the home inspection law in my state. I do not feel that I have a responsibility to tell my client that any of the parts on their home will expire, or when. Home maintenance is a home owner responsibility, not a responsibility of the home inspector.

I would not use it because then buyers will perceive that if it is past the life expectancy then they are entitled to a new one. My job is to ascertain the conditions and document if it is operating safely and as intended. DONE…

If you are asked about life expectancy, point them to the InterNACHI chart. Safer.

Yes, we can do that!

BTW Nick, just got your TN education letter in the mail.

InterNACHI… “IS” #1 in Tennessee for continued ed!

Thanks for all the hard work!

We mailed a reminder to all our TN members, that they can get their TN approved continuing education required to maintain their state license… in their pajamas for free.

NACHI is GREAT!!! I do not include it but often give it to clients when they ask questions about expectancy.

Nick,
when I try to copy and paste the document. In the appliance sections it is a red jumbled mess. Can you check it out? I would like to get a clean copy of this document. Thanks

I do for older homes. I print and hand them out. It gives them something to look at while im inspecting if they dont want to follow me around. They get confussed about the two differant water heaters though.