Hardware recommendations

Hi,

I’m currently a student and I’m looking to start purchasing equipment for my home inspecting business… I’m curious what others have, use(d) and what they thought of the equipment. For example, I’m looking in to purchasing a ladder… but there’s so many styles and brands… what do you recommend?

1. What brands/models of equipment do you have for your home inspections?

2. What are the pro’s and cons of that brand/model?

Thanks!

Go up top and do a search.
Hate to say it but choice of tools is a personal decision and if you are trained enough to do the job you will know what to buy.

You can do inspections with a minimum of tools or spend 10,000 on a IR camera.
Depends on your business model.

Read this forum everyday for a couple months and you will not have a need to ask.
If doing what I suggest is to time consuming get out of the industry.

Hi Bob,

I actually did that already and it was not helpful. That’s what I created this thread. So what’s one piece of equipment that you have, and like?

-Chris

I know tool choice is personal, and that’s why I created this thread. To see what others are using… when using the search field, I really only find comments like your’s Bob… so if you could, just name a tool you use and why you like it. Here, I’ll start!

1. Buck Bros. 6-n-1 Screw Driver Model # 120SD12D.
  2. This is my all time favorite screw driver. I have 2 of them. It’s strong and cheap. The only bad thing about it is the length… sometimes I have to rely on longer screw drivers.

Thanks for your questions Chris, most of us are here to help each other, not to diss a newcomer to the industry. Lest we forget where we all started?
Your choice for a ladder will depend on what you drive to the inspections. If you drive a Kia, you won’t look very professional pulling up to your inspection with a 20’ extension ladder strapped to the roof. Extend N Climb has a nice ladder if you drive a passenger vehicle.

Okay… where’s Linas? What did you do with him!!! :shock::p:mrgreen:

LOL Alien Probing .

:alien::alien::alien::alien:

http://www.inspectoroutlet.com/internachi-inspector-total-package.aspx

plus www.nachi.org/fee-calculator.htm

Chris, Allot of inspectors I know use little giant because they are the lightest. I use a similar version made by Werner. My states SOP says I have to carry a ladder that extends to 17’ so that’s what I have. http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Ladders/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbttd/R-100658952/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Here are the basics to carry: a telescoping mirror, water pressure gage, electric glow stick, multi screwdriver, plug tester with GFCI button, Nachi microwave tester, long screwdriver for a probe, laser thermometer, flash light, camera, coveralls, mask, gloves, knee pads.

Guess we could reply the same the next time you ask a question or do you know it all now Bob how long have you been in business less than 5.

I use a Werner fold up extension and a 6 footer works for me until i get one of those old historical 2 and 3 stories then I bring out the big daddy 30 foot extension. I don’t drive a Kia I use a real man truck a dully flat bed;-)

The “Extend and Climb” ladders scare me, but then again I’m not a liteweight. I use a Little Giant and love it. It is a bit heavy, if that’s an issue, Cosco brand version is liter and cheaper.
I also use Ryobi cordless screwdriver. This saves A LOT of time removing dead fronts (outside of the scope of our SOP).
I also carry a ticker (any brand) to verify things are hot or not. As already mentioned, any brand of GFCI recepticle tester. My flashlight is a 2-AA cell mini-maglite LED. Camera is a Nikon Coolpix L120. Infrared thermometer with a laser
(don’t remember the brand). A yard stick. And, of course, a Zircon MT6 scanner for checking reinforcement and deck nailing patterns.

I love my “Extend and Climb” it is only rated for 300lbs so I can understand your fear.

Yeah come visit Chicago with that Hillbilly mountain man truck which is needed for a 6 foot ladder?:shock:
Will have fun watching you park.:stuck_out_tongue:

Guess I should get a big explorer so I can do repairs while I inspect eh?

Not sure when you answered any of my questions Charlie but when is the last time I did and how many in the last few years can you count? :slight_smile:
I think I answer questions more than most don’t you?

At least I do when not dealing with A-holes .

Not sure how many times I told newbies to send me personal emails if they want real answers away from the Jokers here.

Actually, I’ve never used one. I’m only 210, so I may try one sometime.

Little Giant

Chris show me where you found the above comments as it took me all of 2 minutes just to grab a bunch .

First i need to know what standards you are following as far as what you are inspecting goes.
If you are IR trained you will need a IR camera and if you are not then you will not.
If you are checking Kitchen appliances you might want a microwave tester.
As I said it all depends on how detailed you are getting.

http://www.nachi.org/forum/f2/tools-trade-56378/http://www.nachi.org/forum/f52/inspection-tools-do-you-use-56907/

You can do inspections with your screwdriver,flashlight and a pad of paper if you wish since Inspection is a visual profession only and not exhaustive unless you are Charlie because he will tell you to check the exchanger for cracks or you are cheating your customer,therefore get a multimeter to check the circuit boards also.:slight_smile:

My favorite tool is my camera which documents all issues and protects from liability or you can get some cheap $50 model according to many.

I was only kidding buddy. Are you going to wpb next weekend?

Bob, Could you just answer his question please, without going off on one of your tangents! Thank you!!!

(See red highlighted above).

Little giant Ladder
Led flashlight rechargeable
A good quality camera I use a water proof one if it is water proof . ( because of the seal)
Good quality outlet tester
survey master moisture meter
Level
Binoculars

for starters
When you get going you have your own preferences .