What have I done???

I have a Toshiba Tecra laptop with WinXP SP2. Not too long ago, I noticed that when I click on an icon on the destop (or anywhere for that matter), that one and everyone before it highlights. If I double click, the computer tries to load all of those programs at once. Now I have a problem with my keyboard. Caps lock is lower case and off is caps. Tab tabs backwards though the forms. There may be other things that are happening. Does anyone have a clue what I need to do to get back to normal?

Check these out,
http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=102&threadID=210164&start=0
http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=214182&tag=rbxccnbd1

What’s happening most of the time when this occurs is that your shift is screwed up. Since you are using a laptop you will need to gently pop it off and use a blow can to remove whatever gunk is under there (probably the popcorn you were eating last night) and then put the key back.

Hey Dominic,
Notes collision…I posted the same string of same fix.:smiley:

Doh! You’re right. Great minds think alike :smiley: Or maybe it’s just that you’re as much of a geek as I am!

Thanks guys…I will try this and let you know if it works. How would that affect the mouse tough?

Never used the Toshiba laptops, but the Panasonic toughbooks have a button on the front edge that if you push down will cause it to exhibit the exact same issues. Push it again and the machine would go back to normal. I’d check out all of the buttons, etc to make sure one doesn’t fix it before tearing apart the keys.

If you hold down the shift key it allows you to select multiple items. When you hold down the shift key on a working keyboard and click on an icon it makes it select all the items before it.

Interesting…on my Acer and HP, that would be the ‘control’ key, not the shift key :mrgreen:

Hi Jeffrey, this isn’t like selectively choosing items from a list, which would be the ctrl key. Go to your desktop and try it. Hold down the shift key and click on an icon. It will select multiple with a single click. Holding ctrl would allow you to pick and choose what to select.

Well I’ll be danged…I just keep learning new stuff on this MB everyday ! :smiley:

I tried every button and switch I could find and nothing worked. Just for the heck of it, I tried to restart it (for the 5th time) and that seemed to cure it. I don’t know what happened or how to prevent it but the problem is gone for now. Thanks to everyone that responded.

Glad to hear it :slight_smile: If you can, at least get a air can and blow inbetween all the keys and see if you can get some gunk out. Cleaning laptop keyboards are a pain. I had to pop the mouse buttons off the laptop on mine today, too much junk inside and my keys wouldn’t click properly.

If that happens again try system restore pick a day from last month when it worked well to restore it too.
Go to, Start,programs,accesories ,then system restore.

All the best… Cookie