Advice about reporting right after an inspection.

Hi,

I offer advanced home inspections (thermal imaging, more detail, et cetera).

My issue is trying to stay competetive with other inspection firms offering up general reports right after the inspection from their vehicles. Clients can obviously make an informed descision much quicker than waiting 24-48 hours for an advanced report to be generated.

I’m wondering if providing a preliminary summary report pending the final report would be a way to get around this.
So basically, have anything on the preliminary summary report pending the final report that would cost over $2,000.00 to repair or replace. The smaller stuff on the final report.

This would of course help the client make a descision on the spot.

Any tips on how I would word such a preliminary summary report pending the final report?
Does this make any sense, is it viable?

Thanks

Michel…

I** do not** offer on site reports…
I do not offer summary reports…
I **do **encourage my clients to attend the entire inspection…
I **do **a complete walk through with them at the end of the inspection…
I **virtually always **find something major for them to spend the next 24 hrs working on while waiting for the completed report.
They **always **appreciate my supplying this verbal information aforehand so the Realtor get “get to work”.

Works well for me.

In most cases it is just not necessary.

I too do very in depth inspections with other ancillary services 99.9% of the time. My clients are thrilled to death if they don’t have to wait more than a week!

My reports are usually done within 24 hours and there are perfectly happy with that.

If I have a client that so anal that they can’t wait 24 hours or that they haven’t prepared to get the inspection done in a sufficient amount of time to complete the contract contingencies, then it’s not really my problem.

It’s all well and good that you’re trying to provide an excellent service, but we don’t expect lawyers to complete their cases on-site!

All the new ones offer tick reports on site or shortly after.
Some don’t even have cameras. You cannot do a detailed report on site so stick to what works. 24 hrs is my standard time and if it is the same day I purposefully tell them it will not be as detailed.
I still go over defects quickly after the Inspection with pictures if they have time.

Thanks for your input gentlemen, but I need more. :slight_smile:

Let’s pretend I have a client that wants a preliminary summary report pending the final detailed report. So basically, I have to provide one or I don’t get the inspection.

A-Preliminary Summary Report (2-4 pages)-No pictures, just deficiencies listed over 2,000$ let’s say-some implications, and recommendations.
B-Final Detailed Report (as many pages as it takes)-Pictures, all deficiencies, most implications, and all recommendations.

Some key points;

1-It protects me as major deficiencies are in writing in the preliminary before I leave.
2-Expectations are adjusted in writing, not just verbal.
3-Enough to go on to make a decision regarding buying the home.
4-Makes the client happy that they got an answer right after.
Allows the deal to move forward immediately.
5-Real estate agent is happy the deal is moving forward, no delays.

Probably lots more.

How would you write up the preliminary report? Clauses et cetera!

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Example;

Preliminary Summary Report Advanced Home Inspection
Please be advised that this is a preliminary summary report that will be followed up with a detailed summary advanced home inspection report within 24 to 48 hours. The intention of this preliminary report is to provide our clients with a list of major factors with the home that are in excess of $2,000.00. These would include but are not limited to repairs, replacement, or otherwise. This preliminary report is intended to possibly provide you with enough information to make a decision and is not the entire completed detailed report. There can and may be many other deficiencies not listed here. If you feel in any way that the information provided in this preliminary report is not enough to substantiate going ahead with the real estate transaction, please wait for the detailed summary report. Thank you.

Looks like you answered your own question Mike.
How you actually do it depends on your software/report method/note taking method,etc.

All you can do is copy someones method which may be totally wrong for you.

What you are doing is deciding for the client what is important and are you prepared for that?

I wouldn’t. I would not be forced to perform outside my normal business parameters, just to get the job. I would refer him to a local Chapter member or someone I respect.

You cannot please everyone. Don’t even try. These are the one’s that will bite you in the arse!

I would think that the individual is prying as he has heard others will do the Report on site. Your best defense here is to listen to what we say.
Stick to 24 hrs and market yourself as the best because of research ability.

Ok, will do, 24 Hr - 48 Hr.

Thank you for all your help.

Mike :wink:

For over 10 Years.
Report is Computer Generated and Printed On-Site…
I leave with a check…
Client leaves with their printed Report…
Works for me, ur market mileage may vary…

Me too… I watch TV or the grandkids soccer games in the evening.

cheers

In the beginning no one issued inspection reports on-site. Written reports became available generally within 24 to 48 hours. When the consumer demand for home inspections became more frequent, hordes of hyper real estate agents tried first of all to suppress the request for the “interfering nuisance.” Another self-serving tactic to prevent that home inspections might jeopardize a sale became to schedule inspections purposely as close as possible to the time and date the privilege expired.

The main reason for postponing pre-purchase inspections to the last minute is to give home buyers little or no time to re-evaluate their often impulsive decision to blow hundreds of thousands of borrowed dollars on an overpriced home they actually cannot afford.

In the hope to secure referrals from real estate agents, certain home inspectors started to offer* “on-site inspection reports”* to accommodate the unethical scheme which certainly is not in the best interest of the home buying public.

I never have provided this type of service. At the conclusion of each inspection I only provided a condensed oral summary of my findings. But I always recommended strongly not to sign the waiver before my written report had become available. However, it was surprising how many customers - and in particular first time buyers - had been pressured by commission-hungry agents to sign the waiver shortly after I had left anyway.

It is unrealistic to expect that home inspectors should be able to furnish *“professional and final” *inspection reports out of their cars or trucks onsite. The procedure favours only the interest of the commission paid salespeople, and can become very costly for home inspectors willing to issue reports in haste if a purchaser has a legitimate reason for complaints at a later date.

It is inconceivable that consumers in Ontario have more protection when buying a vacuum cleaner for a few hundred bucks from a door-to-door salesperson, than when buying homes for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Generating inspection reports on-site in the hurry has absolutely no advantages for home buyers. It only supports the conniving tricks of the trade how real estate is being sold these days.

**RUDOLF REUSSE **- Home Inspector since 1976 - Retired

Agree with David and Rudolf.

As I do too!

Verbal conversation with the client at the end of the inspection and deliver written report with a review of the DVD within 24 hours.

[quote=“jjonas, post:2, topic:71139”]

Michel…

I** do not** offer on site reports…
I do not offer summary reports…
I **do **encourage my clients to attend the entire inspection…
I **do **a complete walk through with them at the end of the inspection…
I **virtually always **find something major for them to spend the next 24 hrs working on while waiting for the completed report.
They **always **appreciate my supplying this verbal information aforehand so the Realtor get “get to work”.

Works well for me./QUOTE

Jeffrey, this systems works great for me also. When I first started I thought that I had to do on site reports as other inspectors in my area were doing. But, I always felt rushed and had to revise reports, which I felt was very unprofessional. Now my clients get their reports emailed same day and everyone is happy.

Sure got that right!:slight_smile:

When I started, I thought I’d do all my reports on site… nothing like getting the cheque and offering a tail gate warranty… “when you see my tail lights, warranty is over” :wink:

Just hasn’t worked out that way…

I enter all the inspection findings on computer, on site. When I get home, I spend another 2 hours reviewing my pictures and making sure I haven’t been stupid.

I haven’t yet had a client ask for a hard copy.

I kind’a envy those inspectors using paper… no pictures, no real work… too bad about the liability angle and lack of service… but otherwise, ok…

Me too Jeff however this winter I am going to learn the HomeGauge on my Galaxy Notebook. Man can you ever do pictures and comments fast.
I still will provide next day service despite this ability.
Only asked once by a person that had no clue about computers to print the report.
Not sure if I will trust the cloud until there are no more issues.

I have been doing computer generated and printed reports On-Site for over 10 years.

With HomeGauge, I can deliver a printed 40 - 50 page report with color photos at time of Inspection…

Your market may vary…