Congratulations to PHPIO... Ontario's new home inspection association.

The Professional Home & Property Inspectors of Ontario (PHPIO) (pronounced fippio) have opened their doors as of today, in order to provide the consumer with the best level of professional home inspectors in Ontario.

PHPIO Founding Committee

PHPIO’s founding committee consists of some of the most experienced and well respected home inspectors in Canada today. While PHPIO is a new organization, its founding committee members are from all across Ontario and bring with them many years of association experience at both the national and provincial levels. This impressive list includes a Past President of The Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors (CAHPI), a former Past President of a provincial association, as well as several former provincial board members.

Many of the committee members have been honoured with CAHPI awards for service and commitment to the Home Inspection profession as well as contributions and dedication to the development of the National Certification Program. Others have been involved with the national initiative since its inception in 1996 and have worked for many years to ensure that all home inspectors across Canada work to the same standard in order to provide consumers with the best qualified inspectors available.

These dedicated individuals are volunteering their efforts to ensure PHPIO’s success in Ontario and the success of the National Certification (NCH) Program across Canada, so that homebuyers can be assured that when hiring a home inspector they are dealing with the pros.

Board of Directors of PHPIO:

Paul Wilson, President, NCH, RHI, PHPIO Ottawa
Wayne Fulton, Vice-President, NCH, CHI, PHPIO Napanee
Garnett Hamilton, Secretary, NCH, RHI, PHPIO Manotick
Cam Allen, Treasurer, NCH, RHI, PHPIO Kingston
Brian Callaghan, Registrar, NCH, RHI, PHPIO Ottawa
Bill DeVries, CHI, PHPIO Kingston
Claude Lawrenson, NCH, RHI, PHPIO Windsor
Bill Mullen, NCH, RHI, PHPIO Sarnia
Mike O’Grady. NCH, RHI, PHPIO Cobourg
George Webb, NCH, RHI, PHPIO London

Consumers deserve the best and PHPIO plans on being the best! Your support in getting this message out to the consumer is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Paul Wilson
President, PHPIO
Wayne Fulton
Vice-President, PHPIO
Garnett Hamilton,
Secretary, PHPIO>

Congrats gentlemen.

Well that’s quite a team. Same old warm bodies making up a less than reputable team again. This is not change, this is going to be more of the same. Firstly William DeVries could hardly be said to be one of the most experienced and well respected home inspectors in Canada, let alone Ontario… well okay maybe in the Kingston region.

Bill Mullen, Mike O’Grady, and George Webb, all die hard fans of the National Certification program, with Bill Mullen, and George Webb actively on the National, along with Claude Lawrenson, who amongst other roles with the National and CAHPI is also a vendor and involved with Humber College and First Nations Home Inspections Registrar.

Cam Allen disgruntled ex Treasurer of OAHI and ex board member of OAHI and champion of his own causes and former member of Nachi disgraced when he and Mr. Fulton got caught up in the Nachi printing scandal a few years ago. And who also proclaimed that the National Cert. was the best thing for Nachi members without ever consulting anyone else outside of the Kingston clique.

Brian Callaghan ex Registrar and Director of OAHI a number years ago and who up until recently has kept a low profile.

Paul Wilson, long time spokesperson for himself and all things good, and course provider.

Unfortunately many of these same people served on the Board of Directors of Oahi (Bill Mullen, George Webb, Brian Callaghan, Mike O’Grady, Cam Allen) during a period of irregularities with the bylaws, conflicts of interest and financial concerns/issues.

Its nice to see that such a fine outstanding group of inspectors has gotten together to ensure calamity and more self aggrandizement during their tenure as founding directors of PHPIO.

Too all congratulations, and you can be sure we will endeavour to get the word out to the home buying public that baloney will be the sandwich of choice for home inspections.

If this group has any merit the first order of business is being able to communicate effectively and without the need of embellishments as is standard fair for several of these members who claim and want others to believe that CAHPI and the National Cert. are at arms length from one another who at this point in time have once again been fudging the number of members they claim are part of the National Cert. program.

I can only imagine that the turf war between OAHI and PHIPO will heat up given that OAHI funds have been pumped into CAHPI over the years all for not. It remains to be seen the number of inspectors who will run out to join this fledging home inspection association with no real credentials, and is nothing but another self proclaimed private body claiming to be the authority of self regulation and conflicts of interest.

Thanks Nick for exposing the laughable merits of this folly. This group certainly has no claim to make that they are the best and will be the best or any assurance that the public will be better served, not to mention funding of this non-profit group.

I can’t help but wonder what would be said should the name Ramond Wand appear on a list similar to this… I’m sure some people here would have some thoughts.

Gentleman, congratulations! While I’m not as well versed in these names as Ray seems to be I would like to make comment on a few of the names mentioned here:

Both Bills, Claude and Mike have interacted with me in my short time in this business. All of these fine Gentleman have demonstrated to me that they want to see the profession and its reputation grow. All of these people have been supportive and informative.

Great work Gentleman. Don’t ever let the nay sayers of the world slow you down. Don’t give ignorance a second thought.

Best wishes…

Sean Corcoran

Ray:

Did OAHI ever make a formal agreement to associate itself with CAHPI or the old CAHI?

Here we go again…splinter, splinter, splinter…soon there will 2-3-4-5 orgs representing HI’s in Canada. Sort of like religion with many splinter congregations of the same faith because “my interpretation of god or some other “fact” or “story”” is different than yours. Then it becomes a bunch of tiny voices with no one org to speak for the industry.

SAD!! SAD!! SAD!!!

Brian

So true, this gives even more reason why licencing is required in Ontario and the rest of the country.

This is nothing but another tiny disenfranchised group once again giving itself what it perceives to be the voice of the inspection industry. It has as with CAHPI and the National set itself up as another self regulating body, registered most likely as a non profit identity. What is even stranger that CAHPI/National appears to have conspired to drive a wedge into its own image and reputation, not to mention the likely legal ramifications that will result with regard to dues paid over the years by OAHI members to CAHPI.

It will be interesting to see which of these committee members renews with OAHI in order to maintain the right to use RHI!

So OAHI was an affiliate under the CAHPI umbrella. Should be very interesting if members drop the RHI and possibly go with CHI or some other designation like National Certificate Holder…more confusion added…just like the US!!! Let’s all pay multiple dues.

http://www.phpio.ca
We will recognize the consumers’ rights to a responsible home inspection and a clear avenue to address concerns they may have. We support the CAHPI Discipline Practices and fully recognize this mandate.*

It remains to be seen just how CAHPI/PHPIO deals with discipline and professional practices issues given the small number of members, and no one has seen any bylaws or their corporate charter.

Even more concern is CMHC involvement along with taxpayers monies.

Ray
I am sorry by your own hand you have no associations to fall back to, I am sorry that even here you still have to come to voice what is only your opinion. The PHPIO is a new road for those that wish a path to NCH and an association where they count and can have a voice, that can and will merit in Ontario.
It’s sad when all you have is bitterness towards anyone and anything that is trying to do better for the industry as a whole.
You claim it’s a baloney sandwhich for the public, atleast we have something to offer, but what have you? Sour grapes, bitter wine, nothing but tastless noise.
Your reputation speaks for itself and in the end…

Notice this from their website:

“Access to accredited education recognized by CAHPI, NCA, ASHI and CMHC”
And then this:

“Recognition of credentials with other professional industry associations”
Are they or myself that is confused??

He is an expelled member of NACHI, OAHI and sleepless in Caledon!! Have you seen the time stamp for some of his posts?

Get a life wand.

William

Once again you are out of touch with reality. I am still an OAHI RHI member.
This is not going to better the industry anymore than any other association and it remains to be seen if this new association can live up to what it claims it will be.

Speaking of reputation it was you who improperly acclaimed you are a full member of ASHI, claim you are qualified to inspect wells, and are the one who repeatedly claimed to have paid my good friend Roy Cooke back of the money you ripped him off for.

I suggest when you have been at this game as long as I have and no the players you to will be better qualified on commenting on something you are so desperate to grab in order to inflate your ability to inflate your own image.

Mario

Wrong again as usual!

Prove your points. Oh I forgot you can’t and never could!

Brian

Notice how they left out OAHI?

Some people just like to argue. Others get drawn into the ignorance of the argument.

Gentleman, good luck in your pursuit… Its funny how Ray complains day and night about CAHPI and OAHI but then when someone does something to allow another path that is also criticised. It wouldn’t matter what is done or not done there would always be someone finding fault. If the only thing you have to add to the board / tread is fault in everyone else what do you suppose that says about you?

A lot remains to be proven with this new association. That’s not saying they are not up to the task but rather, time must be given. Really how can you argue the evils of a brand new association. They haven’t even had time to kick you out yet Ray.

**"Well that’s quite a team. Same old warm bodies making up a less than reputable team again. This is not change, this is going to be more of the same. Firstly William DeVries could hardly be said to be one of the most experienced and well respected home inspectors in Canada, let alone Ontario… well okay maybe in the Kingston region.

Bill Mullen, Mike O’Grady, and George Webb, all die hard fans of the National Certification program, with Bill Mullen, and George Webb actively on the National, along with Claude Lawrenson, who amongst other roles with the National and CAHPI is also a vendor and involved with Humber College and First Nations Home Inspections Registrar.

Cam Allen disgruntled ex Treasurer of OAHI and ex board member of OAHI and champion of his own causes and former member of Nachi disgraced when he and Mr. Fulton got caught up in the Nachi printing scandal a few years ago. And who also proclaimed that the National Cert. was the best thing for Nachi members without ever consulting anyone else outside of the Kingston clique.

Brian Callaghan ex Registrar and Director of OAHI a number years ago and who up until recently has kept a low profile.

Paul Wilson, long time spokesperson for himself and all things good, and course provider.

Unfortunately many of these same people served on the Board of Directors of Oahi (Bill Mullen, George Webb, Brian Callaghan, Mike O’Grady, Cam Allen) during a period of irregularities with the bylaws, conflicts of interest and financial concerns/issues.

Its nice to see that such a fine outstanding group of inspectors has gotten together to ensure calamity and more self aggrandizement during their tenure as founding directors of PHPIO.

Too all congratulations, and you can be sure we will endeavour to get the word out to the home buying public that baloney will be the sandwich of choice for home inspections.

If this group has any merit the first order of business is being able to communicate effectively and without the need of embellishments as is standard fair for several of these members who claim and want others to believe that CAHPI and the National Cert. are at arms length from one another who at this point in time have once again been fudging the number of members they claim are part of the National Cert. program.

I can only imagine that the turf war between OAHI and PHIPO will heat up given that OAHI funds have been pumped into CAHPI over the years all for not. It remains to be seen the number of inspectors who will run out to join this fledging home inspection association with no real credentials, and is nothing but another self proclaimed private body claiming to be the authority of self regulation and conflicts of interest.

Thanks Nick for exposing the laughable merits of this folly. This group certainly has no claim to make that they are the best and will be the best or any assurance that the public will be better served, not to mention funding of this non-profit group."**

One of the current popular definitions of insanity is “doing the same thing over and over and expecting the result to be different.” As you said Ray, it is the same old tired group with the same old tired ideas trying to control my and every other independent Ontario inspectors business. Several of the names noted include persons who have been directly involved in the demise of at least two other organizations in Ontario . And as you said, several others have neither the experience nor the reputation to qualify as " the most experienced and well respected inspectors in Canada."

They say " keep your friends close and your enemies closer". But really, the smell of the thing is too strong.

Sean

As a newbie its nice to read that you are well versed on the politics and the personalities and agendas.

I always love a well informed person to argue facts with. But then again if you knew all the facts as I do and the games going on behind the scenes you might actually be capable of understanding the issues and concerns of this new association and the industry as a whole.

This new association was formed largely due in part to a few who could not and will not stick it out and fight the battle that needs to be fought from within. Its far easier to throw ones arms up and walk away.

No guts no glory.

A good read, sorry for the format.

Let’s not knock 'em for trying.

I’m not in the habit of offering unsolicited advice, but considering we were able to catch up and pass an association (ASHI) that had a 20 year head start on us, I’ll tell you what I believe to be true:

Don’t become the other association.

The little mini-association out of Minneapolis tried to be ASHI light and look where they are today.

Evolve past that NCP thing and create your own worthy program. Because so many in Canada dislike NCP, you have an opportunity here. Your competition is ahead of you already and you can’t pass them by following their tracks.

InterNACHI won the association race and became the biggest and best…by being InterNACHI.

Best of luck boys, I’m here to help 24/7.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Nick, I invite all to visit the site at www.phpio.ca if you have questions ask via email or call
Were here for Ontario Inspectors, Independent or affiliated together we can make a difference