Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Local Inspection Issues > Canadian Inspectors

Notices

Canadian Inspectors This is a place for Canadian InterNACHI inspectors and other inspectors in Canada to discuss local inspection topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 9/7/11, 11:48 AM
InterNACHI Member

Lightbulb Fire proofing attached garages

I was doing a new construction inspection on an attached garage and it dawned on me that the plastic central vac piping was in the party wall between the house and the garage. If I were to compare this with a multi unit housing we as inspectors are to report on any plastic piping through a party wall from one unit to another. Is this a fair comparison as there are more strict building practices when it comes to gas and fire proofing an attached garage?
Need a home inspection in Saskatchewan? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Saskatchewan certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 9/7/11, 12:29 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Re: Fire proofing attached garages

Local codes may differ so to answer your question we need to know where you are located.
Old 9/7/11, 12:34 PM
InterNACHI Member

This home was in Leduc, Alberta. But I have seen many in Edmonton that are the same. Plastic piping through the wall.
Old 9/7/11, 12:40 PM
InterNACHI Member

OK, Curtis go to the Alberta chapter web site. There is a link to municipal affairs that is responsible for the building code. The 2006 code calls for the interior of attached garages to be insulated, drywalled, taped and mudded.

Vern Mitchinson_CCHI_CMI
Registar
AlbertaACHI
International Association of Certified Home Inspectors of Canada

Last edited by vmitchinson; 9/7/11 at 1:21 PM..