Help wanted

Greetings all,

I’m not sure if Nachi has a classified section. If they do, please notify and I will move this post immediately. In the meantime…

As is often the case in my business, I have gone from - very slow - to overbooked within a very short time-frame. Last year, I could rely on a part-time inspector but he has since decided that hi wasn’t his thing. I’m not keen on throwing away business so this is what I am looking for:

• qualified inspectors that already operate their own business and wouldn’t mind getting some extra inspections from time to time. The areas I need help in are - GTA, Brampton, Richmond Hill, Vaughan. Please note that the towns of Ajax, Whitby, Uxbridge, Port Perry and Oshawa are already accounted for. To be clear, I am not seeking any employees at this time. You would work under your full autonomy.
  • We, Safety First Home Inspection Inc. will book the inspection and contact you for availability. If you are available to take the inspection, the inspection becomes your complete responsibility… you confirm with the client, use your preferred reported method, etc.
  • We will receive a percentage of the inspection. To be fair, and save time, let me be perfectly transparent. On average, you will receive 50%+ of the inspection fee. Keep in mind that many multi-inspector firms pay their inspectors 35%-45% of the inspection fee. This inspection comes to you as a “bonus” inspection without any marketing or promotional costs to you and provides you an opportunity to add ancillary services. The bare minimum you could earn for an inspection would be $175.00 (for a townhouse) and $200 for a detached. Our Toronto inspection fee is on average $475.00…so $240 would be yours.
  • If you are interested, send me a PM or email and we will set up a meeting to discuss details, qualifications, etc.
  • If you are fairly new to the business and have done an absolute minimum of 50 fee paid inspections, I would be open to having you participate in field training.

Thank you, Adam Hannan

SAFETY FIRST HOME INSPECTION, INC
www.safetyfirsthomeinspection.com
admin@safetyfirsthomeinspection.com

I’m not in your area or I would take you up on that.
My question is - how do you go from very slow to over-booked at a time when most of us are suffering from a declining market?

That’s a good question John. You can place me in the group that has had a dreadfully slow winter thus far. It’s funny you asked that question because when I read others say that they are booked solid and my phone’s not ringing, it leaves me scratching by head. Honestly- I don’t know what has happened this week. I hope it’s a good sign but more than likely, it’s just a blip.
I’ve asked the Realtors and most mention the recently lowered interest rates and the good deals that can now be had. Some are foreclosures, some are investors who feel that they’ve got a good deal.

By the way, overbooked for me, means 2-a-day. I won’t go beyond that. So…barring any cancellation, I cannot accommodate any more inspections until Thursday. I have lost out on 2 inspections because I could not do the inspection within their time-frame. I could have booked those 2 and passed them on to someone who needs/wants them.
Hope it picks up for all.

Adam

The only one I’ve heard say that is Mario - don’t know how he does it.

True, I have read that here too. I think it’s because of all the ancillary services he offers: IR and mold inspections not to mention commercial inspections. But I really shouldn’t speak for him! More power to him!

Adam,

I’m busy like crazy; this year has come in with a bang. I had a Home Inspection this morning did that and than I get a call for an IR inspection (water intrusion) I did that one as well. I than received 2 calls after that for HI’s next week, booked those as well. I’m booked solid for the next 2 weeks, I hate doing 2 inspections in one day but hey…at the end of the day it’s worth it!

BTW I just want to mention something, while I was at the IR inspection the homeowner received a call from (I’m guessing) an Inspector that the homeowner called prior to calling me. The homeowner very politely said that he no longer required his services. He told him that he found an inspector and that he (me) is here now.
Now, I received the call at 12pm and I was at the inspection at 1pm, this tells me that we both received the call at approximately the same time.
Here is what I think happened, the other inspector did not pick up his phone, the client left him a message and the inspector called back about an hour later when he received the message.

My point, pick up the phone gentlemen!!! You will not book anyone if they can’t get a hold of you!

Back to writing reports.

John,

I get quite a few referrals, from many sources including my banker. Has anyone talked with their Bank manager? I have, bankers will give you all of their Commercial inspections and Phase 1 inspections. Don’t expect many home inspections from them, by the time they know about it, the home has allready been inspected. There is more money in commercial inspections anyway!

My point, pick up the phone gentlemen!!! You will not book anyone if they can’t get a hold of you!

Back to writing reports.
[/quote]

You got that right Mario!, I lost 2 this week bacause I was tied up with the full time occupation and by the time I called back in about 1/2 an hour they had already booked others. No on to blame but myself, I got to get around to taking this full time soon!

You got that right Mario!, I lost 2 this week bacause I was tied up with the full time occupation and by the time I called back in about 1/2 an hour they had already booked others. No on to blame but myself, I got to get around to taking this full time soon!
[/QUOTE]

Gerry,
They got me! I answered the phone… all the way up here in Stayner!:mrgreen: Seriously though, that is the most important thing… and when you do answer, do not say “hello” (dull sounding voice here)… be cheery and use your company name. sound like you are ready to help!