Insurance cost

This what our Home Inspector friends in the USA can get Insurance for .

](http://workingre.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=e2b15487e0acc201ff4c50cfb&id=0bd3b0beb9&e=60ce548726)

Roy, Contact the FSCO.

Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO)
5160 Yonge Street
Box 85
Toronto, Ontario, M2N 6L9

**Phone: **(416) 250-7250
Toll free: 1-800-668-0128
TTY: 1-800-387-0584
Fax: (416) 590-2040
E-mail: contactcentre@fsco.gov.on.ca

Make a formal complaint that the price of insurance here in Ontario is way higher than in the U.S.

You will get a canned response.

You can go to the FSCO Tribunal (http://financialservicestribunal.on.ca/en/Pages/default.aspx) and complain, but as the Tribunal is made up of 9 to 15 members, including the Chair and two Vice-Chairs of the Financial sector it hardly seems as independent as it is purported to be. Again their contact details are:

Financial Services Tribunal
5160 Yonge Street
Box 85, 14th Floor
Toronto, Ontario
M2N 6L9

**Phone: **(416) 590-7294
Toll free: 1-800-668-0128
**Fax: **(416) 226-7750
**E-mail: **contact@fstontario.ca

No suprises the tribunal and Commission have the same contact details apart from the email.

The “reduction” in Automobile insurance premiums in Toronto came after 15 years of complaints from the public, and huge media campaign and a diametrically opposed policy attack from an opposing political party to achieve.

Let’s look at what it really achieved:

• Lower premiums - Check
  • Same accident coverage - No, you get less
  • Same limit - No, you get less
  • Same maximum awards - No, you get less
  • Less profits for the insurers - No, they get more

Screaming at the insurers about the price of premiums for any type insurance just gets them to re-badge their insurance so it “looks” better, but in fact gives you less bang for the buck.

Don’t believe me, take a look at the financial results of the Companies that provide insurance. Those that do try to compete on price either get swallowed up by their larger, richer competitors, or go bust. Either way the insured is left in the lurch with either higher premiums or no cover.

Until such time as politicians grows some cohones and stand up to the large institutions that are ripping the individuals off, the little man is always going to pay for the lunch of the rich.

That’s been the way of the world since the advent of the Bible.

Communism won’t work because of the inherent greed and lust for power of Humans.Religious radicalism (any religion) will send us all back to the dark ages, because that’s where the clerics (any religion) had the most power.

Anarchy is just anarchy and works only for anarchists, maybe.
There’s no such thing as true democracy, because there isn’t a democratic system out there that is truly democratic.

The mixed Democratic, Oligarchic, and Monarchic capitalism we suffer under works, but works only on the basis of the disparity in financial wealth across the population.

It sucks, but until such time as someone can come up with a better solution and brainwash 7+Billion people into believing it, we’re stuck with what we’ve got.

As for taking on the Insurance behemoths: take lots of headache pills, because, from personal experience, you will get a blinder from banging your head against that wall.

If you are getting insurance from any company make sure to read the fine print. The cheaper insurance companies are just that. Hub was the only one I found with the total package. Some of the companies are leaving out things like lawyer fees and such. Buyer beware. You get what you pay for.

That’s why we took sol long over the RFP process to choose a Broker of Record Greg. We found that Hub were the only ones who actually had the Inspector’s needs in mind when developing the package.

They have a track record of ensuring that frivolous claims don’t get through, and thy have a Legal Assist program, free of charge to Policy holders.

Their premiums, calculated on a like-for-like basis were cheaper than elsewhere in Canada, and we have a long-term commitment from Hub as the broker of record that they will continue to be the best value for product, regardless of the Underwriter they choose. So far they have been true to their word.

Can anyone tell me an approximate cost for E&O and General Liability Insurance in Ontario?

The price is affected by your experience, training, and amount of coverage.

Somewhere between $2,500- $5,000 would be close, depending on the above.
Oh yea…plus taxes!:twisted:

Cheers

From personal experience and with numbers. My automobile insurance came down by $3 a month. My home insurance premium went up by 30% or $22 a month. This is without a single claim for more than 10 years. You can’t win with insurance companies.:twisted:

Thanks Douglas, that’s helpful.

I’m trying to get a complete picture of the cost of doing business as an HI and it sounds like insurance (E&O, Liability, Commercial Vehicle, Disability, Medical… have I missed anything?) must be one of the highest annual expenses.

Cheers,

Andrew

You got that right! Don’t forget WSIB premiums.:twisted:

Oops… forgot about the new Liberal money grab coming down the pipe…Ontario Pension!

How much are WSIB premiums? Is it required if you work by yourself, or only if you have employees?

There is another thread here that gets into that. My understanding is that premiums are required if you do commercial inspections or if the buyer is going to rent out all or part of a residential property or if you are paid by someone other than the client…

As for the premiums…its a % of revenue. Not sure how much

Cheers

see this string… Roy

WCB Coverage - Canadian Home Inspectors - InterNACHI®️ Forum

For what it’s worth, the ‘‘deal’’ I negotiated for InterNACHI members in Québec (with HUB HKMB Toronto) is great and I’m next trying to get it for all InterNACHI members in Canada!

Stay tuned!

And please, Robert, abstain from commenting!

G

Sorry I did not post a thank you last night Gilles as I said I would.
family is all consuming at times.

That being said.

I wish to say thank you for what you have done for InterNACHI members in Quebec.
Mr. Larin has fought an uphill battle on several fronts putting InterNACHI Quebec certified home inspectors on equal footing in the home inspection industry.

Thank you for your efforts.

Best regards.
Robert

?
Please sir.
Learn to “own” your own mistakes.

Its a sorrowful thing to see when individuals have to bolster their own efforts.:roll:
Could it be because of others realize some where left out as their ideas where harvested for personal gain?:roll:

aw_jeez_not_this_shit_again2.jpg

No kidding.

This always follows a very predictable path.

:(:frowning:

The drama queen sour grapes strikes again…

From 3 guys this does not effect one iota. ha ha ha

So why sour grapes Jeffrey?
I personally thanked him by email and still would have if I did not read his post.

To all three collaborators, I have been a proactive InterNACHI member and of his plan from the start.

Michel. Predicable? Funny you have no clue as to what transpired “personally” between Mr. Larin and myself? Hmmm?
I am sure you would hit the bloody roof and rampage with 50,000 more posts.
PS: If you think I was referring to Roy Cooke in one of my posts, check my friends list, you are as good as predicable gets.
Too bad.
So sad.:frowning:

Mr. Goldberg: God only knows about you sir.
You are just an antagonist and follow what the others to do as a collaborator.
see just because I have not made an effort yet to the Florida home inspectors board does not mean I won’t.

So gentlemen. Assume and do what you may.
I find it troubling that Raymond Wand and others got harassed off the MB and you 3 are still here.
Oh well.

Predictable. expected, especially on the basis of previous or known behavior: 50.000 posts.