OAHI /CAHPI Grow House

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2010/grow_op_cover_up/main.html

CBC just showed where 4 home Inspectors missed a grow House that Mike spotted instantly??? .
This I guess will get more milage for awhile that is not needed .

Roy, do you have any idea if any of these inspectors were nationally certified, RHI’s or PHIP-A-DIP-a-LIPPIO’s?

Too much to drink again George or is it the arthritis in your fingers acting up again…

By the way Roy,

That is old news, wake up and smell the coffee:roll:.

Yes news that was on National TV last night shown across Canada.

This sure does not make Home Inspectors look good .

Marcel what have you done lately to help our industry.

One said he was an RHI and an engineer .
The OAHI Pres was again shown and the TV Reporter made him look bad .
Others said they where CHIs and the one from BC was Licensed by BC.
He did not make himself look very good .

They all missed some strong information showing it was a grow house.

I was not pleased how they represented our industry one took only 20 minutes to do the inspection.
You can see the show here

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2010/grow_op_cover_up/main.html

Since we didn’t find out who the actual inspectors and what their qualifications were, why did you label this thread with “OAHI/CAHPI”?

It looks like you did not play the show .
I would like to say Brian why not play the whole show and tell me where I am wrong .

At 6:18 of the show, Erica says 2 HI’s were “certified”, one called himslf an engineer and one was an “RHI”…

Who has the designation “certified” or “CHI”*…I have found for certain that one of the “certified home inspectors” is NACHI; I can give you the HI and company name if you call me. The other is most likely NACHI if he’s using “Certified” as an OAHI RHI would be sure never to use that term!!

The engineer is not an engineer (In the program it mentions he’s been warned about using that designation); no other designations were attributed to him.

The last was an RHI. That designation is used exclusively by OAHI in Ontario through Bill Pr158 in 1994.

Just checked the Consumer Protection BC site and the BC inspector is not listed at all!!!

That leaves the original HI that missed the grow-op. At 4:20 of the show, his logo is visible on his report for the buyers. If anyone in GTA is familiar with that logo and know the company name, send me an email as I couldn’t find a listed company with that logo.

So, Roy, out of 6 inspectors mentioned/involved throughout the show, it appears that 1 is OAHI, 2 are NACHI, the engineer is an outright liar, the BC guy appears to have no affiliation with an association and …the original inspector’s affiliation/credentials, if any, are still unknown!!!

Is this an OAHI/CAHPI problem only???

*PS: note/correction from an INACHI member- CHI is owned by BCIPI(an institute under ASTTBC, the provincial certified technicians’ organization) **in BC only **where they train Certified Home Inspectors. They are the only ones in Canada that use the CHI designation
My comment: what about people calling themselves Certified Home Inspectors in Ontario?

Mike was told in advance that this was a grow-op.
He then proceeded to discover that this home was a grow-op. Truly amazing skills.

Wrong Brian PACHI (Now part of OAHI 2001 I think) and P2P also Use the CHI.
I have not heard of a complaint from ASTTCB so I have no idea where this stands .
I would think as NACHI has used this in Canada since 2003 ASTTBC might have difficulty now trying to stop NACHI .
I think we should just leave it to the lawyers to settle .

*PS: note/correction from an INACHI member- CHI is owned by BCIPI(an institute under ASTTBC, the provincial certified technicians’ organization) **in BC only **where they train Certified Home Inspectors. They are the only ones in Canada that use the CHI designation
My comment: what about people calling themselves Certified Home Inspectors in Ontario?

Yepp!!! He could find this stuff when he was just a baby-faced 18 year old!! He said it on TV so it must be true…truly amazing skills at being able to promote himself with untruths and not bat an eyelash!!! He’s beginning to believe his own BS…and that’s not Building Science I’m taling about!!

Roy
The BC assoc owns the trademark and has exclusive rights to CHI. The TV show was using Ontario based inspectors. So I would assume that anyone using CHI outside of BC are a transplant to ON from BC or are using the CHI without approval.
RHI is used in Alberta by CAPHI. Do they have the right to use RHI. Again I would assume so.

Unfortunately the public has very little concern or knowledge of the finer points we in the industry have and that we are sensitive to. The general public sees home inspectors as one group and shows like this give the whole industry a bad name.
InterNACHI does it’s best to help our members stay out of trouble. This forum is one of the ways we do this. Our training programs.

Our membership in Alberta has had the biggest percentage increase in the world. We are at 209 as of last week. Three years ago we only had 22 members. One of the reasons for that increase is we have made it a policy not to bad mouth any of the other associations. If you project a positive image you get positive feedback.
I also have had many clients tell me that one of the reasons they decided to hire me was because I did not say bad things about my competition.

Another Mike Holmes Moment, Glad he is the great White north.

This came up when I was a PACHI member 1999 and the Vice Pres of P2P was also pres on PACHI .
I think PACHI and P2P where granfathered in before the BC association registered the name so they where allowed to carry on .
Now PACHI is gone P2P still is able to use it .
I wonder why the BC association has not complained ???

It maybe like the CMI once you are certified to use CMI it is yours forever. I remember that a few years ago someone from BC said they were not going to go after thieves that use their trademark outside of the province. Any inspector that uses a trademark that he does not have the right to use is committing a fraud.
I would never hire anyone that misuses a TM. It’s a simple matter to check the members status and whether or not they have the right to use the TM.

Roy:

I have essentially said that the title of the thread and your insinuation that these were OAHI-CAHPI inspectors is way off base. You seem not to be able to see the facts through your continued hatred still seething from the past!!

REMEMBER…so far, only 1 of the 6 inspectors mentioned in the show has been somewhat proven to be affiliated with OAHI-CAHPI. To be truthful, the fact that we only “hear” that one is an RHI is not full proof as we can’t see or ascertain the name of the RHI and verify that he is actually an RHI. I can prove that at least 1 of the “certified” HI’s is Inachi and I can give you his name and his company name. BTW, why haven’t you called about this??

The fact that the interviewer went to the OAHI offices leads people to believe that all or most of the inspectors were OAHI. She did nothing to clarify this or that maybe only 1 of the inspectors was OAHI!!!

You’re grasping at straws with a dead PACHI CHI designation from dead history to try to prove “I’m wrong”. The fact that PACHI was abosrbed into OAHI 9 years ago means these old CHI designations are dead, buried and not used today by the inspectors that used hold them (unless you can prove different).

Amerispec and Housemaster also talk about “certifying” their home inspectors…but this was not what we were talking about…which franchisors claim “certification”.

I’m talking about the title of the thread being misleading…which it totally is!!

NO it is not an OAHI/CAHPI problem only . It is your’s ,mine and our industry problem .
But if you saw the program only OAHI/CAHPI sign was shown , so John Q public saw that .
Now how can you say the BC inspector had no affiliation .
I do believe he was an approved BC Inspector at the time the program was made .
Like most TV shows much information is left out .

("I have essentially said that the title of the thread and your insinuation that these were OAHI-CAHPI inspectors is way off base. You seem not to be able to see the facts through your continued hatred still seething from the past!! ")

For your Information I have no hatred for OAHI or any one else I do not like the word Hatred .
I do dislike many things the directors do to the newbies like I do not like the things PHPI does to the newbies .
I try to stand up to stand up to these selfish Cult like associations .
Brian you seem to get a bit of information and then become an expert.

Well, I did an hour websearch on Sunday and he is not listed anywhere in BC. I couldn’t find a trace of him! If he was listed he became unlisted pretty quick and completely.

Why do you believe he was an approved BC inspector? There is no mention or insinuation in the show. Did he look certified, registered or an NCH?

Where have I claimed to be an expert on anything in this thread…just that the title raised questions in my old feeble mind…so I felt it needed some exercise!!! And gotta generate some web stats/hits for Nickey!!

I don’t care about in-fighting, so exclude me as to which organization is best! I’m a member of a few and every organization has its merits!

I do care a lot about the Home Inspection Business and, like most of us, try to raise the bar as opposed to this “TV cowboy masquerading as an inspector” Mike Holmes, who only seems to glorify Mike Holmes, even if his show is rigged!

Does anyone not remember the PTL Club? Well Holmes and Tammy Faye Baker (now Messner) have a lot in common.

Enough said!

Gilles R. Larin