Ontario Electrical Question

When a house is plumbed with copper, the bonding connection between the gas piping and the water piping is typically located near the water heater where the two lines are in close proximity. According to our electrical code, any item such as valves, filters, or a meter which could compromise the continuity of the water line upstream of the gas pipe bonding location must have jumper around it. I never see these jumpers and I wonder if I am just misunderstanding the code.

Here is the wording:

10-902 Grounding conductor connection to water pipe electrodes
(1) Where the grounding electrode is a metal water-piping system to which a common grounding conductor or the grounding conductor of a system is attached, the point of attachment shall be

(a)on the street side of the water meter; or

(b) on a cold-water pipe of adequate ampacity and as near as practicable to the point of entrance of the water service in the building.

(2) Where practicable, the point of attachment shall be accessible.

(3)The metal cold-water system shall be made electrically continuous from the point of attachment of the grounding conductor to the water service entrance by bonding together all parts that contain insulating sections or that may become disconnected at such locations as meters, valves, and unions.

If it is plastic pipe coming into the home from the road then a meter jumper would do no good If it is copper then a meter jumper is required .

Looks like a old water heater

I physically try to move the clamps with light pressure also and have found many not tightened correctly.

Water piping is all copper.

`Meter should have a jumper write it up good catch .

OK for the meter.
Between the meter and the gas pipe bonding connection there is also a filter and a valve. The code seems to say that they also need jumpers, am I right.

(3)The metal cold-water system shall be made electrically continuous from the point of attachment of the grounding conductor to the water service entrance by bonding together all parts that contain insulating sections or that may become disconnected at such locations as meters, valves, and unions.

Must be made electrically continuous from the point of attachment of the grounding conductor. Plastic container Filter would not be allowed without a bypass, but a soldered shut off is fine.

The ‘go to man’ in the electrical utility of St. Thomas advised me that if the water service coming in to the house is plastic, then the bonding of the gas line should be made directly back to the load center ground.

He approved it and I follow it!

Thanks guys.

Yes I agree Bryce and see this all the time.Can we always trace if the ground is connected to the panel? It should not be hidden inside walls and usually is visible under the drop ceiling.

If the basement area is finished, the continuity of the ground can never be seen! Continuity of ground is beyond the scope so write it up and move on.

Bingo!

Kevin
When is the last time you did an inspection ?

To many, it is necessary to have the last word!

No!!! The reason I wanted to clarify is exactly what Bryce has pointed out. This is something that a Newbie needs to know and I really do appreciate Bryce’s comment.
When I say Bingo it is my way of saying the right message has been conveyed for Newbies. Not always is it cut and dry but this one is now.

So in older, all copper plumbed homes do you guys typically see a jumper around the meter? I certainly don’t.

It should be there write it up .
You could save some ones life when they go to change a meter .

October 2013

Potential Electrical Hazards Associated with the Replacement of
Water Meters or Water Mains

http://www.esasafe.com/assets/files/esasafe/pdf/Flash_Notices/13-03-FL.pdf

Agree Roy and a very good article.

Nice graphic Roy, thanks.
It would be nice if the ESA issued another bulletin relating to maintaining water pipe continuity upstream of the gas pipe bonding connection.