Problem with Consumer Services

http://www.sse.gov.on.ca/mcs/en/Pages/home_inspection.aspx
Notice at the end it brings attention to Registered Home Inspectors but no mention of Certified.
They have been informed of removing this from the website.
Home Inspections

Transcript | Mobile
A quality home inspection will help you make an informed decision before buying a new place to live. It will help you understand a home’s condition. And if you are selling your home, an inspection can help you determine its value.

What is a home inspection?

Most home inspection services consist of an on-site, in-person, detailed examination of the condition of a home. It is not a pass or fail test, but an assessment of the condition of the structure.
Home inspections help home buyers make important decisions. For example, after getting the results of a home inspection, a buyer may decide to:

• Ask the seller to make certain repairs
  • Accept a defect and deal with its consequences
  • Ask for a price adjustment
  • Not buy the home.

Also, some sellers choose to have an inspection done before selling their home so they have a current inspection report to show prospective buyers. While this information can be helpful, you should have your own home inspection done prior to signing on the dotted line.
As a buyer, it is important to make sure that you are at the home, during the inspection. This is your chance to ask questions and see any issues first hand.
A home inspector will typically examine a property’s:

• Foundation
  • Doors and windows
  • Roof (where accessible and safe to do so)
  • Exterior walls Attics
  • Plumbing and electrical systems (where visible)
  • Heating and air conditioning systems
  • Ceilings, walls and floors
  • Insulation (where visible)
  • Ventilation systems
  • Drainage away from buildings, slopes and natural vegetation
  • Overall assessment of structural integrity of the building(s)
  • Common areas (in the case of a condominium, or co-operative).

Home inspectors complete a report that outlines the property’s condition, as observed at the time of inspection. This report is provided to the client. It will normally show:

• The condition of every major system and component of the home
  • Areas of a home that need repair, or may need repair in the near future
  • If something is not working properly, is unsafe, or needs to be changed
  • Any evidence of past problems.

**Hiring a home inspector **

You will need to do your homework to find a reliable, experienced, and knowledgeable home inspector.
Look for a home inspector who:

• Provides inspection reports (ask to see a copy of the one they use)
  • Will provide references
  • Has experience with the type of home you’re considering (e.g. condo, house, heritage era, or a cottage)
  • Holds an accreditation that shows training and experience
  • Provides you with a written contract.

Get more than one quote and be sure to check references before you hire an inspector.
Also, ask inspectors you’re thinking of hiring about their training and experience. At this time, Ontario does not have mandatory requirements for home inspectors. However, there are many training programs and courses that home inspectors can take to gain knowledge and understanding of home design, construction, operation, maintenance, and common defects.
Ontario is currently consulting with home inspector associations, consumers and other interested groups on qualifications for home inspectors.
Some real estate professionals have lists of home inspectors they’ve worked with before.
You should also keep in mind that:

• Home inspectors cannot see or find everything in a home. They provide an overall perspective of the home’s condition at the time of inspection. For example, they may not find mould.
  • A home inspection does not provide warranties or guarantees about the condition of the house or how well it works.

Home inspection fees usually range between $350 to $600 and may be higher, depending on the size and condition of the home.

**Consultation: Home inspector qualifications **

Ontario is currently consulting on home inspector qualifications. An expert panel made up of members from the home inspector sector, consumers, businesses, and other interested groups has been established. This panel is expected to develop a report that will be released in late fall 2013. At that time, the report will be available for review and discussion with the public and the home inspection industry.
You can share your personal experiences or opinions on home inspectors or inspections by sending comments to homeinspectors@ontario.ca.
**Frequently asked questions **

**Do you really need a home inspection? **
An inspection will help you understand the condition of a home and identify potential problems. In fact, some home buyers make their purchase offers conditional on the results of a home inspection. Depending on the seriousness of what an inspection uncovers, a buyer may decide to negotiate a new price for the home or walk away from the deal altogether.
Once you buy a home, you are responsible for its upkeep. That’s why it’s important to know as much as you can about a property before you buy it.
You don’t want to move in and find expensive surprises. A home inspection will help you learn more about the condition of the home you’re buying.
**Do home inspectors have special training? **
Many inspectors work in related fields, (e.g. engineering, architecture, construction) before becoming home inspectors. There are also training programs and courses that home inspectors can take to gain knowledge and understanding of home design, construction, maintenance and common defects.
**Ontario is currently consulting with **home inspector associations, consumers and other interested groups on qualifications for home inspectors.
Before you sign any contract, do your homework to find a reliable, experienced home inspector that is knowledgeable and competent. Ask inspectors about their training, technical knowledge and experience. Get a list of references and check them.
What kind of insurance should the home inspector have?
Although home inspectors are not required by law to have insurance coverage, many have policies that can include general liability and errors and omissions coverage.
Be sure to ask about insurance coverage before you hire a home inspector.
**Do Ontario home inspectors have to be licenced? **
No. Currently, anyone can offer home inspection services in Ontario. However, only registered members of the **Ontario Association of Home Inspectors can call themselves a Registered Home Inspector. **

Anyone in the ‘registry’ at OAHI is entitled to use RHI, and that is the way the Act is written and the Acts intent. OAHI is misusing PR 158 by only permitting use of RHI to those they deem qualified by their courses and other entry requirements.

OAHI will not enforce misuse of RHI by anyone who is no longer a member, they simply don’t have the finances to pursue infringers.

Here is one such member -

One thing I constantly see and fail to understand is the lack of names of inspectors on their websites. This should be a requirement of any licencing which may come about.

There should also be rules governing advertising and misleading or erroneous statements. Such as 'the largest inspection company, the best inspection company, we do more inspections then anyone else, etceteras.

And then we wonder why the government has got involved - simply - inspectors do not police themselves and their respective associations aren’t very good at policing the members either.

Just become a Certified Master Inspector. It is a higher professional designation, it has no annual dues, the last province in Canada to adopt licensing grandfathered all CMIs, and it has already been awarded a Registered Trademark in Canada: http://certifiedmasterinspector.org/canadian-government-awards-certified-master-inspector-trademark/

That web page was last modified August 28th of this year. Modified by who, for what I don’t know. What I do know is, a lot has happened since that date.

In the great words of Bob Dylan “Times, they are a changing”

I have already discussed this so it will be interesting to hear the reply.

You have already discussed this with whom?

The group you decided to pull away from.

Enlighten me! What group have I pulled away from?

Sorry Bryce you are just not part of that group and neither is OntarioAchi.

Can you ever answer a question without a lot of nonsensical rhetoric? What group have I pulled away from?

Your statement, now answer the question! This is as stupid as your dumb picture of your finger on a blower motor! You really do get the abuse you deserve.

Asnwer the question please! What group have I pulled away from?

Oh Oh … Bryce your are in trouble now;)

The great KEVIN has spoken:roll:

Repent Repent!

Just turn the other cheek Bryce!

No comment.

I have sent in my email to MCS and very strongly voiced my opinion about the last paragraph in their webpage. This is very disturbing because to me, it says that some groups have someone on the inside IMO. Why else would this Gov’t endorse the RHI designation…pure discrimination and this committee should be embarrassed …discrimination in any form is not acceptable! I think a committee needs to investigate the committee and stop this now!

Thanks Scott for sending the e-mail, it is being dealt with.:wink:

Here’s what I sent:

As the recent (attached) email was signed by you, I’m responding specifically to you, but I feel this applies to anyone who had a hand in the information on the website.

I have read the information on the website, and on the whole I find it to be very informative for the Consumer.
I do find however that the last paragraph, especially appearing on the MCS website, appears to prefer the RHI designation. (See attached image)

While it is accurate, it does not cater for the fact that the RHI in essence means that the holder is a member of OAHI, and does not necessarily mean they have trained to a standard on a par with other Inspectors.

In light of the sensitive nature of the discussions at the moment I believe the MCS should appear to remain neutral on the issues of Association membership and Designations.

As a representative of Ontario Association of Certified Home Inspectors, and someone working towards what I hope is an all-party solution, the omission of the CCHI, CMI, NHI and PHPI designations, yet specific inclusion of the RHI and mention of OAHI indicates evidence, rightly or wrongly that a decision has already been made, and a favorite has already been chosen by the Ministry.

It has had an almost immediate impact on my own personal business as a home inspector as Realtors have now started to ask if I personally am an “RHI” because, and I paraphrase from the several comments I’ve heard following the release “That’s what the government are suggesting should be asked”, and referring back to the MCS link you sent out.

I’m sure this is not what is intended, but it is what is apparent from an un-informed consumer perspective, and it is difficult, from the position of another Association, offering our own designations to combat, having been omitted from the information, and therefore discounted by the government in the eyes of the public.

Well mine was a bit stronger than this but very good Len.

I’ve just got off the phone with the Ministry of Consumer services and the offending comment has been removed. It was agreed that it did not represent the answer to the question being posed.

Thank you Len for a clear concise answer.

What did you expect about inside information when you have four people on the panel from OAHI/CAHPI?

There sure appear to be some conflicts.

Graham Clarke
David Hellyer
TWS
Blaine Swan (Nova Scotia) CAHPI affiliated with OAHI. As you know CAHPI also uses RHI in conjunction with OAHI.

As to Blaine Swan being from Nova Scotia I don’t understand how he can be on the panel at all!