Rafters

Hi All

Came accross this yesterday i wasn’t quit sure ( i still wrote in the report that this had to be checked by a pro) this house is brand new and it’s a pre fab. now the builder told my that the rafters came like this (this dosn’t make any senss IMO)…anyway all of the rafters are like this…

They didn’t exactly come like that…it looks like someone sistered a stiffener along side after they tilted the peak up. Typical, I don’t see a problem, though.

But still, if it’s been modified , someone had to signed off on it right?

That is better than what is usually done, which is tilt it up without the sister stiffener.

If these are engineered trusses, (which they seem to be) - you can only truly verify if these are acceptable based on either the approved truss drawings from the manufacturer. The approved truss drawings would indicate the design, spacing or any modifications or special conditions that are approved for this type of installation.

I would recommend that either the owner provide the drawings (if avvailable), or alternatively recommend that a competent person (engineer) be hired to review this installation. It is beyond the normal scope of expertise of a home inspector (generalist).

Patrick,

Technically, Claude is correct and, if I hadn’t experienced many of these over the years, I may do the same as he suggests.

Besides, pictures aren’t like being there.

Hi Claude!!!
Yep that what i told my clients (to contact the company who built this ‘‘kit’’) and ask them for the plans… i also told the client to get a third party expert. Look if it the way to do it great!! at lease my clients wont be calling if it falls!! lollll

A certified installer of Modular Homes would not have sistered this engineered hinged roof. This was done after the fact by someone that did not understand the engineering of the system and thought it was a weak link in the roof system.
Nothing wrong with what I see here other than an overkill to reinforce the hinge section.
The truss system has been unduely improvised in an effort to reinforce an engineered design.
Just report what you saw. :):smiley:

Marcel, what would have been the correct way to do it?

If an engineered truss or an engineered anything is altered in any way, it has to be approved by the engineer. This is what I was told by a city inspector years ago.

Hi Patrick and hope all is good in your area.

Qualified service personnel only should carry out this procedure.
Homeowners unauthorized personnel should not attempt to erect this roof, and to do so will void the homeowner warranty, on the home.

It is always recommended that the hinge roof be raised before the halves of the home are mated together. It is easiest to jack each half of the roof when there is approximately 12" to 20" between the halves.

Plastic on the roof needs to be removed, it seems to still be there from the photos. Both halves of the home should be mated together at the ridge with supplied bolts/nuts/washers. I don’t see any evidence of that.

The other thing that bothers me, is why the ridge boards are such darker than the trusses.

I only see one king post and a couple of blocks between the ridge boards.
Since there were no king post added and sufficient blocks in between the ridge board,to transfer the load down the rafter, there was nothing to hold the hinged section up properly and that is probably why we see the 2x6 scabs nailed across the hinge.

I would have stated that the erection procedures taken to assemble this hinged modular roof appears to have been done unprofessionally due to the side steps taken to modify the hinged roof assemble and to be further evaluated by a modular home representative for that make Modular.

Hope this helps. :):smiley:

Hi Marcel

1-plastic , i wrote in the report to take it off
2-the ridge beam (including all of the roof structure) was left outside for about 2 months, that’s why it darken a little. the moisture content was 18%
3-as for the bolts and nuts…sorry i didn’t know… lesson learn chef!

and geeee my friend , you know your stuff!! thanx a milion for the help!!