Sprinkle, Sprinkle, Little Star

Sprinkle, Sprinkle, Little Star

You know what bugs me? Urban myths. I hate it when inaccurate, misleading or downright wrong information is perpetuated by the media, the entertainment industry or just spread through the grapevine. Sometimes it is just a pet peeve or an annoyance, but it can be a big deal when the public gets bad information about an issue that is needlessly costing the lives of dozens of Canadians each year.

Most people have never seen a sprinkler system in action. They haven’t had the dubious honour of being the junior firefighter who has to clamber up onto a desk and jam a couple of wedges into an active sprinkler head, getting totally drenched in the process. The impression that most people have is that these devices go off at a whim, are unreliable and cause huge dollar losses through water damage. Therein lies the urban myth.

Let’s give the average homeowner/buyer some credit. They’re not stupid, and they want to protect their investment and their family. We are halfway there with the smoke alarm message, maybe about where we were with drunk driving twenty years ago. The need is recognized, the legislation is in place, but compliance is still spotty. We, the Fire Service, have lost our shyness about publicly stating that specific lives could have been saved with a working smoke alarm. Charges are laid that were not laid in the past. The difference between smoke alarms and sprinklers is that nobody ever muddied the waters with disinformation about smoke alarms. Sure there is the odd tenant out there who thinks the RCMP is spying on them through the thing, but for the most part the public understands what a smoke alarm is and how it can save their lives. On the other hand, what information do they receive on residential sprinklers?

Typical scene; the hero is trapped behind the door of the office or warehouse, and the bad guys are closing in. Thinking fast, he lights a cigarette, blows a puff of smoke at a detector, and ba-woosh! Every sprinkler head in the building simultaneously spews out a tsunami of water that electrocutes the bad guys. If I’m exaggerating here, it’s not by much. I have yet to see an accurate portrayal in a TV drama of how a sprinkler system, or any fire protection system for that matter, operates. People only have the information that is presented to them; and if this is all you knew, would you rush out and get a residential sprinkler system installed in your home?

According to Mike Holmes, the host of Holmes on Homes on HGTV, “Making residential sprinklers mandatory in all new construction is a Band-Aid solution.”[1]](http://www.nachi.org/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=48#_ftn1) Holmes also states “When it comes to fire safety in your house, the right options, hands down, are smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors and fire extinguishers.” Well, what advocate of residential sprinklers has ever advised AGAINST smoke alarms, CO alarms or fire extinguishers? Sorry, Mike, but you have bought into the argument that many home builders associations have been putting forward, instead of listening to the fire service and the insurance industry. Sprinklers are not very expensive, are extremely reliable and have enormous potential to save lives. If sprinklers caused more damage from water than they prevented from fire, then why would the insurance industry advocate their use? When was the last time the insurance industry backed the wrong horse?

There are several progressive communities that have enacted bylaws requiring sprinklers in all new residential construction. Of course, developers will pass the cost of the sprinkler system on to the buyer. This may amount to a $3,000 to $5,000 cost disadvantage if the development requires sprinklers, versus locating the development just down the road in the next town. Many arguments have been put forward by fire service insiders that this could be made into a marketing point based on the enhanced safety of the sprinklered home, for roughly the same cost as a carpet upgrade or interlocking brick driveway. Let’s face reality – the average homeowner would put either of those options way above sprinklers on their priority list. They would be more likely to install a sprinkler system for their lawn than for their home. It will take many more years of consistent messaging on our part to get the public to a level of acceptance of sprinklers that compares to that of smoke alarms, and many lives could be needlessly lost over those years.

So if the costs are passed along to the homebuyer, what is the advantage to the municipality? Is it pure altruism and concern for public safety? Maybe to a certain extent, but this also bears some examination. A 1999 study[2]](http://www.nachi.org/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=48#_ftn2) by Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation identified that savings to municipalities could occur if fire service response times in sprinklered developments could be lengthened, which could occur if there were significant opportunities for new development beyond the areas presently served from existing fire stations, and “the fire department’s role is fire suppression, and only secondary support is provided for non-fire emergency services when requested.” It worries me that some fire chiefs are repeating this argument, and are willing to turn back the clock to allow longer response times. Sprinklers may buy us time in a fire situation, but what about Grampa’s heart attack or the kid trapped in the collapsed snowbank? Don’t they deserve the fastest possible response? Will homeowners in those new developments get a tax break from the municipality to compensate them for the reduced level of service?

So let’s take the pressure off of the municipality and put residential sprinkler regulation where it should be – in the fire code at the provincial level. This will create an even playing field for attracting new development. At the same time, let’s keep our eye on our primary mission of saving lives – not just reducing insurance losses and infrastructure costs.

[1]](http://www.nachi.org/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=48#_ftnref1) http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070301.re-holmes0302/BNStory/RealEstate

[2]](http://www.nachi.org/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=48#_ftnref2) http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/publications/en/rh-pr/tech/99-102_e.pdf

Even knowing how it saved the lives and property of home owners (as well as first responders), it took a long time to get sprinkler systems into the building code. Now, it is taking the same amount of time and effort to get these building code requirements incorporated into municipal ordinances.

Builders, through their associations, spend a lot of money on politicians and media to fight this requirement. In the end, they will ultimately lose and homes will be safer as a result.

Thanks for sharing this article.

Good article Roy. I am an advocate of Sprinkler Systems in a Home. :slight_smile:

We had a meeting with Brighton CEO yesterday .
I am to do a presentation to out Council Dec 19th about having sprinklers installed in all new homes .
Have met with fire chief and 4 of 9 councilors all are wanting this to happen soon as possible .
This was sent to me by a retired Fire Chief he sent a great letter with much encouragement and said more info to follow and he sent my letter on to the association .
With luck this could be the start of something Big Thanks James will keep all posted as I get more info .

This is what started me going to council
http://www.wndu.com/hometop/headlines/Firefighters_survive_flashover_131629433.html
I do not think the girl lived .
Unfortunatly the movie is no longer on the web site it was a real eye opener .
Fortunatly I was able to grab and save it .
They also lost the home and if there had of been sprinklers no life would have been lost and the home would be still standing .

Very well presented article! The focus now should be on simplifying the design so it is inexpensive for all homeowners and buildings so there is no excuse as to contractors or renovators installing the units with sprinklers. The sprinklers do not have to stick out like a sore thumb anymore with new designed dooms over the units.

New homes $1;51 a square foot , Existing homes about $3.00 a sq ft .
Rural on well need to have a tank of water In basement or Buried out side extra cost with a pump about $2,000.00 .

You need to edit your comment Roy! $1;51 $2,000;00 .

news flash we’ll never enact laws and out legislate bozo-sapiens

how many properties do we enter that have chirping, inoperable or are absent smoke alarms

this isn’t a design defect it is a deliberate action or out right negligence by the bozo-sapien occupant

until you get your sprinkler system installed
replace or install batteries & alarms as required

ya think if the money/lobbyist got behind this product or similar how soon would it be required on all properties

how many properties do we enter that have chirping, inoperable or are absent alarms

this isn’t a design defect it is a deliberate action or out right negligence by the bozo-sapien occupant
roughly two-thirds of home fire deaths resulted from fires in properties without working smoke alarms

ya think if the money/lobbyist got behind this product or similar how soon would it be required on all properties

i’ve actually been asked to remove the annoyance so a not to disturb/distract them from their phone calls

how many properties do we enter that have chirping, inoperable or are absent alarms

roughly two-thirds of home fire deaths resulted from fires in properties without working smoke alarms

i’ve actually been asked by unmentionables to remove the chirping annoyance so a not to disturb/distract them from their oh so important phone calls

it’s always so easy to tell others how to spend their money

how many that have posted or read this have sprinklers in their homes, planning retrofit or are moving into new property with sprinkler?

i’ve actually been asked by unmentionables to remove the chirping annoyance so a not to disturb/distract them from their oh so important phone calls

When buildings don’t burn all the way to ground … they don’t need to be replaced with new buildings. Accordingly, it would make a lot of sense for those in the building trade to object to something that would prevent that from happening or that would require more material costs and manhours to cut into their profits.

But the insurance companies that pay out to replace them, the people in areas with high ISOs that pay the higher insurance rates so that the insurance company can still profit, and the wives and parents of the fire fighters who enter these buildings to save lives … really don’t care too much about protecting the builder’s potential market for new homes or his profits.

Nor do they care about his profit in building them.

Retrofits are ineffecient and expensive … but beginning with new construction, homes of the next and preceding generations (and the people who live inside of them) can greatly benefit when these standards are finally implemented over the objections of those who profit from reconstructing destroyed homes.

Compounding the need for these systems is the increased flammability and toxicity of the building materials that are presently being used.

The shrill objections to this implementation were anticipated long before the requirement ever entered the code book … and the weeping and gnashing of teeth is also a price that will be paid as more and more jurisdictions are forced to do the right thing.

Builders don’t have to like it. When the public demands it, they have no choice but to comply. If he wants to stay in business … he will find a way to profit by providing the public with what it demands. It’s not up to him to call the shots as to what is best for him … and then expect consumers to simply live with an inferior product, willingly.

These same battles were waged by the automobile industry when seat belts, then shoulder straps, then air bags … were introduced and then required. The same arguments were made by the auto makers about how it would make cars unaffordable, how seat belts would “trap” people inside their burning vehicles and cause more deaths, etc. Today, decades after the rules were passed and the “new” requirement is not the norm, the lives that have been saved are a testament for those who stuck with the fight.

Some say that the consumer should have his choice as to whether to have the home built with or without a sprinkler system. I would agree with that choice as long as the consumer who decides NOT to install a system is mandated by law to bring the house up to the required standard, bare the additional expense and install a system prior to selling it. Until selling it, he should pay higher insurance premiums and tax rates than his neighbors for the additional risk and burden that his choice represents, as well.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/New-homes-in-Poptland-to-have-fire-sprinklers.html

New homes in Portland to have fire sprinklers

From staff reports

Starting next month, Portland will require that all new single-family homes and duplexes be built with fire sprinkler systems.

The City Council last week voted Aug. 16 to update the city’s fire safety code and became the third Maine community, after Westbrook and Rockland, to adopt the requirement, according to the National Fire Sprinkler Association.
The new standard takes effect Sept. 15 and means that all residential construction is now covered, according to Ben Wallace, Portland’s fire safety officer. Multi-family residential construction already was required to include sprinklers.
The cost of a sprinkler system could add 1 or 2 percent to the cost of a typical single-family home – one builder estimated as much as $4,500 – but also would reduce the costs of homeowner’s insurance, Wallace said.

At least here, Maine’s biggest City is leading in mandatory protection.
Others will follow suit. That is a good thing.

how are retrofits inefficient? they have to comply to new build standards don’t they?
does the retrofit cost out weigh the benefit for you and your loved ones?

Agreed.

WE have a member on this BB who did his home .
I think the cost was about $3.00 a SQ FT. for an older home .
Good discusion great info thanks to all this could help me for my presentation

I do/am not at present time.

Anyone else willing to answer.

Here is a good video on the subject;

http://homefiresprinkler.org/Sprinkler_Answers/builder.html

http://www.usfa.fema.gov/citizens/home_fire_prev/sprinklers/

http://www.homefiresprinkler.org/
:slight_smile:

Where is this public demand?

Anyone desiring a sprinkler system and willing to pay for it is certainly welcome to make this demand but mandating that all who want to buy a new home must install an expensive additional system is an assault on freedom.

If you are up for that are you also up for outlawing candles as it would certainly save many more lives including the ones in used homes.

Perhaps this is an issue better left to the insurance companies to provide a discount as an incentive for those who install sprinkler systems just as they do for installing dead bolt locks.