What's Up With This

From the local newspaper. :evil:

Man if this isn’t a witch hunt, I don’t know what is. I wonder if they will give inspectors a chance for rebutal. Highly doubt it.

Every home inspection association in North America should have its members bombard this advertisement with coolheaded, logical and well worded objections.

Key words>>> “and found hidden problems after you moved in”

Were they hidden from the report or hidden from the naked eye during a visual inspection?

Hope it stays up there for sure.

Notice that came out right after the CBC marketplace report on new home inspections. Thought he was up to something. I think he is planning on changing the industry to the Mike Holmes way of doing things. :wink:

With a sledge hammer Gerry?-------:lol:

Dale.
LoL I don’t know if you saw the clip. When he was inspecting a home he was punching holes in the garage dry wall with his fist and his comment. Just as I suspected no insulation.:shock::shock:

I know alot of people who are fans of Mike Holmes’ way of doing work. I bet they wouldn’t be fans when they got the bill!! Anyone can rip a home apart and find problems. I don’t think any home is perfect. IMO, Mr. Holmes needs a reality check.

Go to his website , he is getting involved in new home building with his “Holmes Homes Communities”. He is a marketing machine.

Guess Mike"s ratings are plummiting in his other show,now he needs to go after home inspectors
Thats OK…if he speaks the whole truth!!!
Secondly How can you have someone doing a home inspection show if they are not a seasoned home inspector??? or even one at that Ha Ha Ha !!!
Not to worry we have already set up with my attorny,if he bashes all home inspectors and misleads people we shall do a Class Action Lawsuite against the producers of the show!!!
Remember a home inspection

1. Greatly reduces the risk of buying a home cannot completely remove all risks
  2. Within a 3 hour average time frame you are limited to what you can do or find
  3. latend/hidden defects cannot be found
  4. No one can re-create the same scenario/invironment after the home inspection
  5. Without dismantling the home completly all defects will not be found!!!
    What do people expect for around $300.00 most are cheap nigotiators on inspection fees and they end up hiring a low skilled home inspector who writes soft reports…The then have themselves to blame.
    Hope you contact home inspectors before you do this show???

Good for you Allen. If it comes to that I will be happy to kick in $$, as will other inspectors, I’m sure. This guy is a first class A-hole and we shouldn’t let him attack and destroy our industry without fighting back.

Gerry,
That is how we do it in Barrie. You should see Erich… smashes holes in almost every wall of a house. When I told him they do not insulate partition walls…:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

LOL :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Funny comment I copied from CanNACHI message board

He has some great ideas. and then some bone head moves as well. He does know how to hype up a show. If you said," This wall needs some insulation behind"… does not get the same attention as walking to the wall, punching it out and hollering " I thought so, this is not to code! They should be fired! I am sick of seeing such shoddy work! We have to rip it out! This will cost $100,000 to repair! ($10 for materials, $999,990 for me)" Now statements like that make it all worth watching!

If you have not yet seen the Holmes weblink here it is:

http://holmesonhomes.com/makeitright/Mike_Holmes_Online/index.php

I really hope that Mike Holmes has a copy of an association SOP (Standard of Practice)!!! My concern with the upcoming show is that it will unjustly raise what is already the unrealistic expectation level of the average consumer. I recently heard an insurance rep say that the average industry claim has gone up from 1 claim per 300 inspections to 1 in 50. I wish there was a way to check the accuracy of those claims. Regardless, we’ll have to wait and see if the show will be fair and show both sides of the story.

Purchased a home in the last 18 months, he is trying to squeeze in properties that fall under the 2 year liability limitations on inspections by the look of it.

Now that sounds like hype from the insurance guy to justify the high premiums HI have to pay. Oh Woe is me, I have to charge you those prices with a ridiculous deductible. For crying out loud, the contractors don’t have to pay those kinds of prices and they are the ones building and installing this crap.

There is a forum on the page link in the post above. Things should get interesting there…

Maybe/maybe not. Highly monitored board where dissent is not allowed for long…Mike is GOD…it’s basically a cult now…he can do no wrong. Example:

There was one show where Mike tried unsuccessfully to solve a moisture problem in a slab-on-grade addition… he ripped up the finish floor/subfloor, jackhammered a hole in the kitchen floor, brought in X-ray gear, …found nothing that would explain the moisture but added electric radiant pad under new flooring (will put heating bill up versus natgas heat!). Quite a few of the more technical savvy posters starting dissecting the show and within 2 days the thread was locked!! No real freedom of speech.

Within 5-6 weeks of my joining the board, in a forum “straw poll” by another frequent poster, I was rated in the top 5 for technical content/answers…Then I was thrown off for challenging a few of the top posters. The top poster was very pissed at me; when I had to correct him (especially when he claimed that cellulose insulation would kill you due to the chemicals in it!) a few times with independent research info, he started calling me a jerk, etc. He also started calling anyone that may have agreed with me “EMohm’s (my board monicker) puppet”. This guy was an insider with Mike’s fan club so nothing much was said to him… a slap on the wrist. About a year later, he had to remove himself from the boards for blowing up one week-end!!! He definitely was a narcissist…would have hated to be a family member!!!

Here’s a little banter I (EMohm) had with the then top HVAC poster (Gencon) and now Moderator of a few sections in the new Holmes’ forums:

Gencon wrote:
*In a modern house the floors or stories are probably not sealed off from on another and the heating system really cannot put more into a room than it draws out, or vice versa, so the idea of back drafting because of these conditions is moot. Either the whole house is under a negative or positive pressure, not individual rooms or floors. Negative pressure can happen in a house that runs exhaust fans, dryers, furnaces or anything that expels air to the outside without replacing it. This condition may cause backdrafting through gas appliances. However, gas aplliances are equipped with a safety device called either a backdraft sensor or flame roll out detector that constantly senses the conditions of the draft and burners and will shut the gas valve off if there is any backdraft. *
So to summarize, Installing a return air duct in the basement will have no detrimental affect on anything and return air volume is directly related to supply air volume for any room in the house-including basements.

EMohm wrote:
Quote from Gencon :
“Either the whole house is under a negative or positive pressure, not individual rooms or floors.”

*If you don’t have different pressure zones in a house, no air will flow. There are slight positive pressures in rooms with supplies and slight negative pressures in rooms/halls with returns. That’s how the air gets back to the furnace/AC unit. This is the same atmospheric phenomenon that creates winds- high and low pressures with air flowing from high to low. *

Quote from Gencon :
“In a modern house the floors or stories are probably not sealed off from on another and the heating system really cannot put more into a room than it draws out, or vice versa”

*In older unsealed homes, the heat loss from the house actually increases when the furnace blower comes on due to the pressure differences. In a bedroom with a supply register or two and no return with only the cracks around/cut under the door, etc, heated air will be driven out the unsealed areas ( plugs, ceiling light fixtures, wood trim gaps) due to positive pressure in the room. *

*To keep the equation balanced (a house contains the same volume of air at all times), some cold air will have to be drawn back in. This happens in areas of the home with the negative pressure relative to the furnace blower- the return areas. It also happens in the unsealed “panned in” joist cavity returns in the basement- this puts the basement under slight negative pressure and cold air is drawn from around the unsealed sills, service entries, foundation cracks,etc. *

So, yes, a heating system can put more air in a room than it draws out or suck out more than it puts in!

Gencon wrote:
The differences in pressure are as you mentioned, slight. So slight in fact they are hardly measurable, let alone consequential.

EMohm wrote:
*When some of these differentials occur in the basement area of a house with a naturally vented furnace, it can cause backdrafting. Most of these flues run on .04" WG or 10 pascals negative draft relative to the house. If the house goes more than 10pa negative in the area of the furnace, due to large return nearby and/or dryer operation, and/or rangehood/downdraft hood, the furnace will spill combustion gases. *
CMHC put out a manual in about 1992 detailing how to test for this situation before it occurs. It is now taught in the WETT, HRAI and R2000 courses.

Gencon wrote:
(EMBARRASSED icon)
*Alright! Enough already! *

*Yet look at the information that you provided. Some very interesting facts and things that people should be aware of. *

*EMohm, your debating skills are admirable and you stuck to your guns and backed up your points with facts that I was too lazy to look up. *

Looking forward to the next one!*
*(**CHEERS *icon)

** I’m still not allowed on the Holmes’ boards.*