Commercial construction inspection

I received a phone call from a potential client, who is building a commercial building and would like an inspector to make a few visits to make sure that the building is going up okay. He left a message.

How much should I proposal to charge per visit, or is there some other kind of arrangement or contract that I should propose?

How should I return his call? Can someone give me some ideas? Should I use the SOP, or is this different, since it is a building going up?

Leon

Is he asking for a special inspector, as in concrete, rebar, welding and bolting or epoxy inspections. Ask for a set of drawings prior to your proposal, on the cover sheet or structural sheets you will find the city special inspection requirements. You may also want to ask for the specifications. Clarify the scope of work, clarify the scope of work, clarify the scope of work.
Good Luck

He said he has a set of drawings and he would like me to come out “a couple of times during the building process”. He wanted to make sure the builders were holding everything true. And to “make sure that everything was going up to code”.

What kind of scope of work do you think I should set up?

Defer to the Commercial SOP for scope, as far as code compliance that should be the city inspectors responsibility. Does the city require special inspections? Special Inspectors typically inspect concrete, masonry, steel, epoxy anchors and in some locations EIFS. Is this a small project? Wood framed, masonry, concrete tilt up? Are you going to bring in a team of associates to look at MEP. (Mechanical, electrical and plumbing.)
Be confident, professional, and courteous to all parties involved in the project. Take advantage of the situation, obtain as many construction documents as they will provide. The submittals (Approved Submittals) come in handy. Any addendums, RFI’s,ASI’s and CCD’s. These documents will show how the project evolves, they will reflect all changes from the plans.
Feel free to email me, hopefully I can be of assistance.

I researched that:
RFI is request for information
CCD is contract completion date

Can’t find what ASI’s are… Can I get help? Thanks

Leon,
Hopefully I can make sense of the document trial for you. In most (if not all ) commercial projects there are design issues, when these issues are discovered by the contractors they issue an RFI. “Request for information” this goes to the design professional of record for review and comments. He will respond with an answer “if it is a simple interpretation issue” or he will consult with the engineer of record if the issue is beyond his scope.
Example: The drawing call out a 12’ acoustical ceiling elevation, the structural drawings show a 14’ deck bearing elevation. The deck is sitting on 12" deep bar joists. The mechanical drawings call out 24" diameter main duct lines. The issue is how does the contractor install a 24" duct into a 12" space? This will require either lowering the ceiling ( Architects ) or re-configuring the duct work ( mechanical engineer). The two parties discuss the issue, the architect has features that require a 12’ ceiling height at this point they concur on re-configuring the the duct work. They Architect will issue an ASI “Architects Supplemental Instruction” or CCD “Construction Change Directive” to the contractors. This will in most cases result in a C.O. Change Order. Change orders really don’t have an impact on inspections.
The ASI’s and CCD’s could save you some time in making your inspection. Imagine spending 2 to 3 hours looking at a set of plans for tomorrows inspection only to find out there were 13 RFI’s issued with 11 CCD’s. In your plan review you copy information found on the plans about the HVAC system. The schedule calls out a 1 RTU, it’s a carrier 10 ton gas fired unit with 500.000 BTUH. You think cool I will get ahead of the came and input the information into the report. Then you get to the job site and find 3 carrier units with a four ton capacity. This was changed in RFI # 9. These documents will identify all the changes that have been made that may or may not be on the blueprints that you were provided.
If you could get an invite to a progress meeting you could learn a great deal about the entire process.
Hopefully all is going well for you!