Mold survey (bsp) astm e 2418

I’m looking for a guide line or a matrix that I can use to satisfy a request to perform a MOLD Survey (Base Line Survey Process/BSP). The job is a MOTEL. The STD is ASTM E 2418. Can anybody help?

Most ASTM standards are available for download in PDF format after you purcahse them. Their standards are all copyrighted and they enfource the distribution of them. Your name and license to the standard will apear at the bottom of each page once it is downloaded. They have been known to sue for freely distributing their standards without being compensated financially. For $44.00, it will hardly break the bank if you are doing a large mold sampling job. Figure it into the price you quote and let the job pay for it.

http://www.astm.org/Standards/E2418.htm

Scott, is there a lot of difference between the E2418 and the IICRC S520, second edition.

Haven’t actually downloaded the ASTM standard yet James. Honestly, I don’t see it being a whole lot of valuable information that already isn’t out there already. I will buy it later on tonight and read over it when I get a free moment this week and let you know. I have a copy of the IICRC 520 standard and really don’t see a lot of information in there that dictates how to perform a mold inspection and sampling that is any more stringent than all of the other industry standards out there. There is great information in there as far as recommendations for mold remediation and what precautions and level of containment should be used though.

I have found that most of the standards that are out there primarily deal with mold remediation and do not focus on mold sampling and inspections. The IAC2 standard is far more detailed in that aspect. The ESA standard is not something that I would freely distribute to the generall public because there is so much marketing information in there and written for the inexperienced inspector.

I let the job dictate what sampling protocol I am going to use. Every case is going to be different and needs to be approached as a unique inspection which is guided by your client’s needs and expectation. This is where I find a lot of newer inspectors think that a standard is going to tell them everything that they need to know in order to do the job. Bottom line is, you have to know what you are doing and why you are doing it to best serve your client. Not simply because the standard thet you are following said you have to do it.

I know you get what I am talking about, but I know others may be just starting out or think that there is nothing more to it than pulling a few air samples and sending them off to a lab someplace.

I use the IESO protocol for testing but some cases I got to go by what my Industrial Hygienist wants also. I use MICRO SOP for the visual inspection.
Ya, I guess the S520 is not much use unless you write mold remediation protocols.

I would be interested in seeing a copy of them James. I don’t have a copy and never got one when I joined IAQA. I use S520 a lot when writing protocols and recommendations for remediation. Was definately a good book to buy if you are more involved than just grabbing samples and doing inspections.

You can order a copy here http://indoorstandards.org/shop/form.asp. They do not have it in PDF yet. The class cost me years ago with hotel stay about $800-$1000 that included an IAQA membership for a year.

Just downloaded the copy of E-2418 and had a chance to skim over it for a couple of seconds. Not a bad standard for doing a strictly visual inspection with no testing involved. I would say it is intended to be used in conjunction with the standards for doing a Phase 1 ESA or a Transaction screen. I wouldn’t rely on it as a mold inspection standard by any means though. It gives a breakdown of what areas to look for mold in and conditions conducive of mold growth and report layout. No different than what some of us do anyway.

Scott and others:
The ASTM STD 2418 E in this particular case will be used to comply with a BSP for the bank and client. This job is a large commercial HOTEL with a large Restaurant. The STD delineates a four part Document preparation:

The STD creates a four-part approach to be followed by consultants who have the requisite qualifications to analyze mold-related issues: 1) a documentation review, 2) an interview, 3) a walk-through, and 4) preparation of a report. Each step is appropriately delineated in the standard guide with comprehensive lists of questions to be asked areas to be observed and information to be provided for review.

**Has anyone on this board have performed a BSP for commercial buildings? If so, would you please share some information regarding the complexity and cost involved in this process. This Hotel has over 500 rooms + restaurant, exercises room, lobbies, swimming pools, parking, etc, etc… huge property on the beach. I have to provide a quote very soon. **

John…call me on the phone sometime today. I have an office day and will be more than happy to talk with you about the IAQ work that I have done and the way I set everythign up.

215-888-4943