Wind Mitigation Inspection Questions

I have been given conflicting information on wind mitigation inspections on my home and I really would like to know the correct answer. I am using the information from my property appraiser’s site to ask the question. My base house and garage all have hurricane rated doors and all of the windows are hurricane windows. One door has hurricane panels affixed for it. On the back of the house there is an EPF (florida room) that although is attached to the house has a flat panel roof separate from the shingle roof. The french doors and glass panels between the main house and this room are hurricane rated. The rest of the florida room has wind rated aluminum bahama shutters, that are not hurricane rated and one entry door which does not have the panels to cover the door. On one inspection, I have been told that the house is hurricane rated because the EPF is not a part of the base house and the base house is all hurricane rated. Another inspector has said that the EPF is part of the house and is not hurricane rated because the door has no protection and the bahama shutters are not hurricane rated. This same issue came up when I had a wind mitigation inspection done 7 years ago. I would like to know the correct answer and direction to the appropriate document that I can use to point out the correct answer. The EPF according to the appraiser site acknowledges that this room is usually built of lesser quality than the main house. In this case, it has several rows of block on 3 sides and then the old style awning windows above that. I am quite sure that if we have a hurricane that room will be gone. I appreciate your helping me with my question. Thank you.

Are the rafters of the flat roof bearing on top the main house wall? Is the Florida room heated by the central air system? These things matter on the determination of whether that room is included on the wind mitigation form.

The Florida room is not heated or cooled by the central heat or a/c unit. As a matter of fact, there is a whole cut in the wall for a wall unit. Although the wall unit is there, it hasn’t been used in many years. We really don’t use the room.

In looking at the Florida Room from the outside it must be attached to the main wall somehow. It appears that it comes up over the eves, so it would have to tie in to the roof or the wall.

I know nothing of construction, but am very frustrated in trying to get the appropriate insurance credits for the house.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

It sounds like the flat roof is structurally attached to the main roof system, which would warrant the exterior walls of the Florida room to be factored in the opening protection determination, along with the roof geometry and roof covering. Elevation photos would help.