Change to CMI

Nick

I am not a CMI, but am considering applying for the certification. What are the chances that we can reduce the time requirement for inspectors working at established companies. My inspectors are going to do as many or more inspections than most inspectors complete their first three years, and they would be learning from a CMI (if I become one). It only make sense that the time requirement be reduced for inspectors in this situation.

Is something that we can make happen?

There is no time requirement There’s a requirement for a number of fee paid inspections. If your guys are doing so many more than everyone else they’ll get there faster than everyone else without having to lower the bar.

I wonder if participating on an inspection counts as 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 of actually performing a full inspection, based on the number of people participating???

How long will it take for them to actually perform 1,000 full inspections? Do they ever perform a full inspection or just the same partial inspection over and over?

Not to attack your view Juan as I do see where you are coming from.

Lets say that your chosen profession was as an electrician

You start off as an apprentice
You have to work as an apprentice for x years under a higher level professional to apply for your journeyman license.

Since you are actively in the electric field should you be allowed to test for your master license without the time requirements?

I think at the minimum the three year requirement is good.

Even if an inspector were to get lucky and pass his equivalent of 1000 inspections in the first year of business. He has still only been in business for 1 year.

That’s a very good point.

I don’t think I would call the guy that changed the oil on a 1,000 cars or the guy who replaced brake pads on a 1,000 cars master mechanics.

No, don’t think I would either. Maybe, master oil changer or master brake pad changer, or such.

What would you call a home inspector that inspected 1/3 of 1,000 homes?

Need to make requirement of education at least 1,000 hours and the education at least 1,000 hours, not either or. You could probably drop the three year in business requirement, then.

Also to become and stay a CMI, you need to belong to have an active membership in one of the three largest inspection organization, that way the CMI is still being forced to keep up with education.

:shock: Well I certainly would hope that you don’t believe performing an entire home inspection is on the same technical level as merely changing the oil in a car.

I believe he’s equating the oil change as doing only one aspect of the home inspection, ie, window operations, or GFCI check.

Many multi-inspector companies have their employees do the same exact thing during the inspection each and every time. So, they aren’t doing an entire home inspection…I think was Chuck’s point.

Some owners, I believe, want it that way so their employees can’t easily know enough to leave and start their own business.

Exactly.

IMO: If a home inspector has not performed all aspects of the home inspection and produced the report, that inspector has not “completed” a home inspection. I don’t think participating in bits and pieces of an inspection should qualify as “completed inspections” toward the attainment of the “All CMIs have completed at least 1,000 fee-paid inspections and/or hours of training and education combined” requirement. Certainly not one for one. Perhaps as hourly credits, but then you run the risk of having CMIs who have never completed an inspection, much less 1,000…

Maybe they could be Certified Journeyman Inspectors???

What’s the matter? Won’t your ‘little buddy NT’ let you into his “ELITE Inspectors” Club? Or you’re just being greedy and want both to fool more potential clients with your creds? I wonder if NT’s "fine print’ will allow you to have both? ](*,)

And in Juan’s case, since he has a helper or two working with him to “complete” the inspection, it will/should take home twice as long to reach that 1,000 inspection milestone, than it would if he were a one man shop.

Juan you should just apply.
I know a guy who has his CMI and he hasn’t even had his state license for 3 years yet. Seems to me you would have to be licensed for at least 3 years to actually claim you could legally do inspections for 3 years. But that would be lying, and I am sure a violation of both cmi and nachi COE.
but maybe I’m wrong and I didn’t do my math right.
All joking aside the purpose is to allow a full understanding of the business. I know more about how to inspect and handle situations now then I did 3 years ago, and 6 years ago also.
I honestly feel the time limit should be lengthened.

if anything raise the bar, not lower it or make exceptions, that’s a slippery slope to traverse. Lowering a standard, even for a perceived good reason, lessens the designation for those who came before you. IMO

The bar is already to low. Why would we want to lower it even more?

I totally agree. CMI qualifications are slim. IMO, 1,000 CEU hours** and** 2,000 FULL inspections, and 5 years in business.

It is too easy for cheap HI’s to get the CMI designations. I know of two around KC that should not have it, because of their short, soft reports.

I had been in the building trade for 11 years before I took my apprenticeship to become a journeyman carpenter. The program is four years. You work through out the year gaining hours and then go to school for two months. Because I had training and hours behind me going in they allowed me to take my first and second year together and my third and fourth year together. So I did all of the schooling in two years. I still had to wait for my anniversary date (four years from when I applied) to get my ticket. That is the way it is set up. I think it should be the same way for CMI.