Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Miscellaneous Inspection Topics > Certified Master Inspector (CMI) Discussion

Notices

Certified Master Inspector (CMI) Discussion This forum is for discussion of the Certified Master Inspector designation and the Master Inspector Certification Board.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12/8/12, 10:58 AM
InterNACHI Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ckenyon
Default Help

Can any of you help me? I am looking for someone who has real experience to look at some of my reports and give me some suggestions. I am coming to the end of my first year in business, and i have had 33 inspections. I do not get realtor referals. It seems they give me one or two, then i never hear from them again. I need to know is it me or do they just give me the sh$% houses?
Need a home inspection in Idaho? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Idaho certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 12/8/12, 12:31 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Re: Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenyon View Post
Can any of you help me? I am looking for someone who has real experience to look at some of my reports and give me some suggestions. I am coming to the end of my first year in business, and i have had 33 inspections. I do not get realtor referals. It seems they give me one or two, then i never hear from them again. I need to know is it me or do they just give me the sh$% houses?
If you want to send me your last 2 inspections I will look at them as time allows this weekend.

Performing Home Inspections in Council Bluffs, Missouri Valley, Glenwood, and surrounding areas

Council Bluffs Home Inspector
Iowa Home Inspector Council Bluffs - Facebook

Active Rain Member
Old 12/8/12, 12:56 PM
InterNACHI Member

Chris... how does the Sample Report on your website compare to the actual product you present to your client? Just skimming through it, I see a few items that I do not care for, but everyone will have their own opinion.

I have a full weekend, but if you want to send me a current report, I will find time this weekend to review it for you.

Send to: nspector.jeff@gmail.com
Old 12/8/12, 4:38 PM
InterNACHI Member

What program are you using for your inspections?

Marty Karl
All Pro Home Inspections
& Radon Testing
Http://TheIllinoisHomeInspector.com
Marty@TheIllinoisHomeInspector.com
Lic. # 450.010402
Staunton, Illinois
(61 339-4152
Serving the entire St. Louis
metro east area of Illinois
Old 12/8/12, 7:23 PM
InterNACHI Member

"HIP"
Old 12/8/12, 10:38 PM
InterNACHI Member

Thanks Gentlemen, This is the real reason for joining the association. I am looking forwards to hearing your remarks, It can only help me to become better at what i do! There is no better education the experience.
Old 12/8/12, 10:46 PM
InterNACHI Member

Chris... you have email.

Btw... since AZ is licensed... be sure you follow any regulations in respect to your reports... no matter what we may say.
Old 12/8/12, 10:57 PM
InterNACHI Member

You know what I find interesting???

This is the CMI section, and (unless I am mistaken) not one single CMI has stepped forward to help Chris out!

Isn't there something in your Ethic's about helping other inspectors in need?
Quote:
a. The Certified Master Inspector will strive to improve the Inspection Industry by sharing his/her lessons and/or experiences for the benefit of all. This does not preclude the Certified Master Inspector from copyrighting or marketing his/her expertise to other inspectors or to the public in any manner permitted by law.
Yep, says alot!
Old 12/8/12, 11:40 PM
InterNACHI Member

Chris thanks for sending it.
Going to comment here as it is not that bad and I am not trying to teach system basics or anything home inspection related as that is your years of training and opinion rather than mine.

Just a couple things.
I would get rid of the need to have every room as a section and combine them into an interior section to make it easy reading for the client and though may be personal choice not a fan of the check boxes that need a decoder.

Place issues in a different color or font such as red.

Make sure comments are in the right sections with the pictures.
example: picture of breaker in panel section but the comment on double tap in breaker section.

Other wise just needs fine tuning.
Bear in mind if you have no comments there is no reason to have a N/A in my opinion because it just takes up space.
Backing up opinions with some standard practice canned comments in certain areas may help as well.

Not terrible however.
Agents using you a couple times only means nothing and is common.
Old 12/9/12, 5:18 PM
InterNACHI Member

This CMI is busy working.

NACHI will review reports for free http://www.nachi.org/reportreview.htm
I know fellow member Nathan of Residential Services Group reviews them for free also.

I personally think most home inspector reports suck. Nobody wants to read a book with a bunch of disclaimers in it.

Braun Inspection Consultants
Serving Jefferson City, Columbia, Sedalia, Fulton and Lake of the Ozarks
Old 12/9/12, 8:01 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: An HI is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraun View Post
This CMI is busy working.

NACHI will review reports for free http://www.nachi.org/reportreview.htm
I know fellow member Nathan of Residential Services Group reviews them for free also.

I personally think most home inspector reports suck. Nobody wants to read a book with a bunch of disclaimers in it.....
.....and lots of referrals to qualified trades for further assessment.*

*Note: Although this covers the HI's ***, it doesn't endear the HI to the customer or the realtor. Last week, had one realtor (have done 4 inspections for her family) comment on this item. She talked about a few HI's that just about always have referrals to trades on older homes- it usually adds 3-5 days to the sales process!!
Old 12/10/12, 9:23 AM
InterNACHI Member

Thanks again, I am working today on the template. I have one inspection scheduled for wednesday looking forward to it.... I appreciate the time that you have taken to review my reports.
Need a home inspection in Idaho? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Idaho certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 12/10/12, 10:10 AM
InterNACHI Member

Well Jeff well said sort of, I too have been busy. and this is the first time i seen this post, Chris you can email the worst house you have done.
ethi@citlink.net
i be happy to look it over , and yes i seen a lot POS homes lol

Wayne Wilson
East TN Home Inspections LLC
Knoxville, Oak Ridge, Maryville, Clinton, Farragut, Lenoir City, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville and all the surrounding areas.
865-256-1490

http://site.myhomeinspection.net

Old 12/10/12, 11:06 AM
InterNACHI Member

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 7:31 AM, Chris Kenyon <azinspectionsinc@yahoo.com> wrote:

Good Morning Nick,
I wanted to take a minute this morning to show appreciation to four of our fellow brothers. Last week I posted a thread on the CMI message board, asking for help reviewing my reports. I am coming to the end of my first year as an inspector and I am concerned as to why realtors don't give me many referals. These four gentlemen took time to read and critique my reports. This is what the association is really about. My hat is off to John Harrison, Jeffery Jonas, Bob Elliott, and Martin Karl. Thanks to everyone!!!

Chris Kenyon
A-Z Inspections Inc
928-245-2804
241 N White Mountain Rd.