Dual Stage Pool Pumps

Hi Guys, here in AZ a law has passed that requires all new Pool Pumps to be Dual Stage for energy savings.

I foresee this as a problem for the unwary HI when the client finds out not only does the old single stage Pool Pump need to be replaced, but the Electrical system needs to be upgraded (control panel) at the pool motor to run the required new pumps.

Do any of you Cali Guys have some verbiage for these Pumps as I know they have been required there for a while?

Or will my old “The pump is broken get it fixed”, Narrative still work?

So a Pool Pump replacement on an existing Pool requires a total rewire???
Which politician was the electrical contractor on this one?

Pool Owners here just pay the additioanl prevailing rate of electricity based on Consumption…
(Comes with having a Pool)
Politicians here have not figured out how to make Pool Owners pay more to save a little…
Give them time ,
:slight_smile:
LOL

hayward & pentair have the control module piggyback the pump
can be removed and wall mounted on the units i’ve seen
basically plug and play from what i could see on site

Thanks Barry, I am good on the hardware bud, looking for a starting point for a narrative to cover my butt.

This is where I am so far.

“Current Arizona Law requires any new Pool Motors installed to be Dual Stage types of motors. Installing a Dual Stage Motor may involve additional components such as a Motor Control Panel which will add costs.”

Brian,

Why is it that the pump can not be replaced with the same pump?
What if a warranty on the existing pump is in place?

After the first of the year Joe, all pool pumps over 1HP, when then fail, need to be replaced with Two Stage pumps.

Everything I have seen looks like the Electrical savings will be good.

Cost is around 1K, which is more than fixing the old one. I can see some un happy Clients a year in when their Pool Pump breaks, trying to be proactive

http://www.poolspanews.com/2011/092/092n_arizona.html

Both good questions Joe, I dont know

After the first of the year Joe, all pool pumps over 1HP, when then fail, need to be replaced with Two Stage pumps.

Everything I have seen looks like the Electrical savings will be good.

Cost is around 1K, which is more than fixing the old one. I can see some un happy Clients a year in when their Pool Pump breaks, trying to be proactive

http://www.poolspanews.com/2011/092/092n_arizona.html

But if the Failed Pump is under warranty
The $1000 additional (to replace & upgrade)
may not be cost effective…

Feel Good Legislation is just that… it makes someone feel good…
Just not the Consumer… (as a general rule)
:slight_smile:

I would bet, if the Motor fails there will be a way to repair it. :wink:

But I do not want to have that conversation a year down the road.