Biden unveils plans to score homes for energy efficiency.

Got the classes written yet?

Half the price of the $350.00 energy audits…

That should make some people happy. Let the goverment lowballing commence… :mrgreen:

Anything that hammers home the point that homes and buildings use more energy than cars, is a great thing for inspectors.

Time for a ir camera possibly, any good deals out there?

If you mean by “Time for an IR camera” because of this announcement, you may want to hold off a bit. This program isn’t going anywhere for a while IMHO. We are currently in a de-regulation mode in this country.

no, i know.its not the announcement. ive been stuntin one since i saw john’s in melbourne.

The test program is in 10 cities and, while voluntary, the report will undoubtedly reflect that the higher the energy ranking the less time the house spends on the market and the higher the selling price when compared to similar dwellings.

While home buyers are using inspectors to eliminate additional expenditures for repairs…energy auditors save home buyers from the additional expenses of higher utility bills due to waste. Why not get the seller to increase the energy efficiency as a part of the transaction as well as replacing the broken receptacle covers?

I think that, within the coming decade, we will see that energy audits will replace inspections since few people will pay for both. An energy audit needs to only add about two items to the protocol in order to mirror anyone’s SOP.

The times…they are a changing…whether we want them to or not.

I like that it quantifies savings better than anything else I’ve seen.

I use a program called REM Design where a computer model of the existing structure is built and a baseline for energy consumption is established. Each suggested improvement is run through that model which projects, both in percentage of energy use and dollar amount, what that particular improvement will provide in actual savings.

As you say, the actual saving projections (while dependent upon the home owner’s choices and contractors’ skills) can be quantified.

There is much more to a real audit than simply finding missing insulation, recommending CFLs and caulk.

We’re starting an investment fund that pays for the inspection and repairs up front in return for a percentage of the energy savings into the future. We have a law firm that specializes in this area working on the SEC paperwork.

Good luck on that one!!!

You’re kidding , right?

Please explain

IR camera sales and training are down from last year.

Michael, the success of the Tea Party recently, has helped put the country in an anti-regulation sentiment IMHO.

As for creating the Fund… the trend is your friend.

NICK,

The reality is that there is an administration still in power for at least two years that has shown it desire to use regulation to accomplish it’s goals when they can’t get legislation passed.

I hope it doesn’t happen but I suspect there will be much to undo in few years and the task will be monumental if not near impossible.

They best watch it. I have a patent pending on a numerical home evaluation system.

Does it look like this one: http://www.moveincertified.com/download/greencertifiedchecklist.pdf ?

Close, but the formula is different. I probably will not get it, since numerical equations are not patented. Items inspected get a numerical value, up to 6, then averaged and figured. Most insurance companies and lenders want just a number of a home to enter into a computer. A friend and I have been working on it for years, but never came about. Oh, well.

IMO…
On the short term, this appears to be a good thing for home inspectors. It could expand our market from home buyers (and a few sellers) to potentially the whole population of home owners. I personally don’t see a down side to that. Sure, the government “estimated” a half-priced energy audit, but that estimate doesn’t control the market. Unless I’m not seeing something, supply and demand will still reign.

On the contrary, the whole program seems to be a big, bad wolf disguised in a red hood. Is this not the same methodolgy used in the 70’s when MPG ratings were established for the auto industry. Within a few years after the ratings were established the minimum standard had increased by over 40%, and the auto-makers (car buyers) paid for that.

Are the minimum efficiencey standards for home owners going to increase similarly? Are home owners going to be required to score an 8 on the chart or be fined?

In short: as an inspector, I love it - as a home owner/citizen, it scares me a little