Flir i7 is this enough resolution?

Thinking of doing Johns class and w/ it getting the Flir i7.

It has 120 x 120 IR Resolution, is this enough? Or should I get a camera w/ 160 x 120?

I want to offer Thermal scans for energy audits and use it for my mold inspections.

Also to scan the building for leaks or to reassure what my findings are.

Thx,
Ray

And w/ Johns class, will the be sufficient training to do what I mentioned above?

Johns training + i7 = $2245, not too shabby

You’ll get exactly what you paid for with both. :wink:

Do some searching in this forum… this very subject has been discussed numerous times.

Then get one from a rep to try out… compare it with others… take a level one course to truly understand what you are investing your hard earned money in… then make a purchase decision. Base it on price alone and you will be disappointed.

Good advice…

I could not have said it so nicely… :-0

Thank you Mr. Bill…

Ray, “if you own one, they will come” does not apply to this industry.

I got three jobs this week (while on vacation) where the client went through the laundry list of camera owners and came to the realization that there “IS” a difference in Thermographers & Equipment.

They are starting to ask questions now. It’s getting to be less of a “Wow Factor” to the clients. Those calling, know more about TI than many of the Camera Owners out there.

FLIR got so many complaints from the emerging building industry, they
created building courses to take the place of Level I classes. (Level I was
created back in a time when IR cameras were not being used in building
diagnosis). Take the class that is geared for your needs.

I use a 120x120 BCAM at every inspection and so do thousands of others.
More is always better, but more sometimes is outside of some peoples
budget. Even RESNET recognizes 120x120 resolution as a minimum standard
that can still get the job done.

Thanks for the advice guys. I’ve read lots of threads and again appreciate the help. As you may or not may know, I’m definitely not new to the home and commercial inspection industry. With that said, I’ve been watching the Thermal Imaging industry for a few years now and am real close to jumping in. I’ve seen mixed opinions, which is par for any course about what works and what doesn’t. There is no licensing and really minimal standards from what I can tell. Still a little wild west in the Thermal Imaging industry. So for me, this is what I’m wanting to do.

• Offer professional energy audits. What’s the standard here? Forms, Report software, Credentials? Certifications? I heard the i7 from Jason Taylor that it’s not RESNET compliant?

• Offer Thermal Imaging for Contractors or Customers who may have an issue with energy loss, electrical, leaks.

• Use Thermal Imaging as a tool, like my moisture meter, noise, eyes to reassure there’s an issue causing the mold.

Do I use the software that comes with the camera for reports? Is there any other software I need to create my reports for Thermal Imaging?

Thx,
Ray T.

FLIR i7 conforms to the proposed new RESNET standards.

The free software that comes with all IR cameras is not very good for much. What do you expect, it is free.

I don’t think so my friend…

Ray,

Just to claify, Resnet does not have an IR standard…yet. It is only composed. From what I know it is weeks to a month or two away.

The i7 meets the resolution and MK part of the standard. However it does not meet the proposed MRrad specification, which is 3.0 or lower. Don’t take this as me beating up on FLIR, it is what it is.

JJ

David,

Actually they did, but it isn’t meant to replace level I. It is still level I, but uses more building type applications as references instead of industrial and mechanical. Snell offers this as well, not sure about Infraspection.

JJ

If you are mostly using it for water intrusion issues my impression is 120 "by’ is enough.
Correct?

FLIR says the i7 does meet the proposed RESNET standard.
I am sure they would not exposed themselves to such an error
if it was not true.

FLIR and ITC told me they created their building courses because there was such a gap in Level I content regarding it’s teachings about the emerging building industry uses for IR.

Level I is still a good course, but it was created in 1988.

John,

I invite you to get a hold of John Snell which wrote the proposed standard and ask him the drafted MRad specifications.

Here is a data sheet on the i7 and i5:

http://www.google.com/m/url?ei=R--ETOiALJn6qQPbgoeKAg&q=http://www.flir.com/uploadedFiles/Thermography_APAC/Products/Product_Literture/090923%20FLIR%20i7%20brochure_au.pdf&ved=0CBAQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNGfxQ-dvpqMe1-nhYqMUkHZuZAW-Q

I am not sure why the age of the course would matter. Most of the theories they teach in physics have been around for 100’s of years and are still being taught ot this day.

JJ

The building course is not a replacement for Lvl I, was my point.

If anyone thinks that if they take the building course, they should not consider themselves a Lvl I. They are a Building Science Thermographer.

Ray, resolution is not the deciding factor in camera selection.

I have two Flir 320 x 240 res cameras and they are not the same.

Though 120 x 120 may do the job, you had better not expect to push the envelope when it comes to delta-T.

If you have young eyes and like to squint, the i7 will work if you also have a blower door.

This was taken with less than a 2 degree Delta-T. There was a ceiling stain in the corner. Very low moisture meter reading.

This has to be the only place on the world wide web where mediocrity is encouraged, taught, and accepted regarding thermal imaging equipment and training in residential and commercial applications… all under the guise of saving inspectors money. :roll:

caveat emptor…

If your going to move in to the IR world… Go buy a T400… Spend the money now and don’t cry later… You will get calls to do other IR work and you need a camera that has no limets… It looks like Obama is going to reinstate one of G Bushe tax cut. ( new equipment ) deduction.

This camera will inspire you…

Stay away from cheap cameras. Spend the money…

Best

Ron

I’m going to upgrade from my BCam 120x120. What’s the best way to sell it? EBAY? I’m checking out the B300 and T300. Any suggestions?

Linus,

If those are the only two cameras you are looking at I would say the T300, higher temp range.

JJ