Infraspection Institute training

I just signed up for Infraspection Institute’s Level III training to be held June 16-June 18 at their Philly location. I was planning to take this course in September but as a subscriber to their newsletter I just received a 30% off deal that was to good to pass up.

If you sign up for their free newsletter you will receive the same 30% off on either Level I, II, or III training being held at their training facility in Philly the first, second, and third weeks of June. This offer is only being made to newsletter subscribers.

Newsletter sign up link: http://www.mailermailer.com/x?oid=26533g

There are very few discounts ever offered for quality infrared Level training so I figured I would pass the info on.

I talked to the staff at Infraspection when I signed up to see if it was ok to share this with the membership here and got the green light. Looking forward to meeting up with any members who can make it to the Level III training.

Jim Seffrin was the Level 3 instructor when I took it a couple years ago in Philly. Great course, great instructor and you will gain a few pounds from the great food they feed you.:wink:

I just took their thermography for home and building inspectors. I didn’t learn much more than I did in John’s class. I am little bummed though that I will get no credit for any of the modules from that course towards the Level I certification despite them coming directly from the Level I course. I will have to take the entire Level I course and pay the whole fee less a little credit for the home and building inspector course. I believe I have completed probably 50% of Level I through the home and building inspector course. I’m not too impressed that I have to do it all again and pay for it :frowning:

Dear Mr. Swift:

Thank you for participating in Infraaspection Institute’s online training course, IR Inspections for Home & Building Inspectors. I was glad to read that you were able to learn from it.

In reading your post above, I couldn’t help but notice factual errors that I wanted to correct for your benefit and the readers of this board.

Students who complete IR Inspections for Home & Building Inspectors receive a certificate attesting that they have completed the course. Infraspection’s Level I certification is reserved for students who complete the full Level I course and successfully pass a written exam at the end of the course.

As stated in our email to you yesterday and in previous posts on this message board, the cost to take Infraspection’s Level I course is $1695. InterNACHI members who have completed IR Inspections for Home & Building Inspectors and register for a Level I course receive a credit of $195. This amounts to a 100% credit of the fee paid for their original training.

Although IR Inspections for Home & Building Inspectors does draw content from our Level I course, it does not comprise 50% of a Level I course. Level I covers several applications that are beyond home inspections. It also delves more deeply into some of the applications touched upon in the IR Inspections for Home & Building Inspectors course.

Since you have completed the IR Inspections for Home & Building Inspectors course, there is nothing more that you need do. Should you elect to pursue Level I certification, you need only pay the difference of $1500, complete the training modules not previously taken, and pass the Level I exam.

Should you have any further questions, you are welcome to contact me directly.

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the reply. I was not aware that I could only take the modules that were not covered in the Applications course…that is good news. What I need now is application and exception diagnostic training - I understand IR theory so I am a little loathe to take another course explaining emissivity and black bodies :wink: I came up with the ~50% based on the hours listed for the courses.

How does Level I training work after completing an Applications course? Does one get a customized course path for Level I based upon the specific Applications course taken omitting modules already completed?

Dear Mclain:

Upon registering for the Level I Thermography course you will receive a new, 600+ page 4-color Student Reference Manual along with links to the online modules for the course.

Although students who have completed an applications course will have completed some of the modules within the Level I Thermgraphy course, we do not redact their Level I training manual or limit access to course modules. Rather, we allow them to have full and unlimited access to all of the course resources.

When you register for a full Level I Thermography course, we can point out those modules which you have not already completed as part of your recent applications course in the event that you wish to focus only on course material that is new to you.

Thanks for the info, Jim. I look forward to completing Level I with Infraspection down the road.

I have a question why did you start your IR training the way you did if your are interested in the levels l, ll, lll

To save money and get a good deal!

Then learn that what was spent was not what is needed to get the job done.
Time and money invested so far could have you on your way to Level II instead.

If he took John’s course, he should know by now that Level I is unnecessary…

Home inspectors are hypocrites! Like general contractors that build “custom homes” to the minimum standard of the municipal building code!

They expect their clients to pay premium prices for their minimum investment in their businesses.

I did an inspection for $1164 two days ago for a guy who used infrared thermal imaging in his business. I just got off the phone with him where he stated he was amazed at the results of the thermal diagnostics from his inspection.

One job can pay for a “real” training opportunity. It can pay for an entry-level thermal imaging camera. However, substandard training will not get you paid $1164 for an inspection!

Good info I may go ahead and get my level l started glad I read your post:mrgreen::wink:

David, what route do you recommend to achieve level III status?

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

3 classes and 6 years…

Instigator

I find it horribly disheartening when a guy is looking for education and can’t seem to find decent information. Some people say Level I, II, III etc. is a bunch of crap while others swear by it. Let’s not even get started about which training institution is better than the next! I am simply wanting adequate training in IR technology as it applies to residential home inspections. I realize Level I training will not provide the information I am seeking and I have no need for Level II quantitative training. Level I would provide me at least what appears to me as a “recognized” certification, but to the layperson it probably means jack sh* and Jack is my client.

Training for me now needs to consist of recognizing thermal anomalies and identifying their patterns and possible causes - what’s considered normal vs. an issue - as well as how to procedurally (efficiently) fit an IR inspection in with the flow of a regular home inspection. All the courses I have taken beat IR theory to death and show a few cute photos of thermal anomalies and that’s about it. Nowhere near enough examples and conditions with good discussion about the potential defects and contrasted against normal conditions. I liken it to a radiologist who is taught all about x-ray science and theory, is shown a handful of disease patterns and is then turned out to start diagnosing x-rays. Does any training like I am describing exist?

McClain have you ever heard the saying how the cow ate the cabbage if not I am getting ready to tell you.

Your post here is dripping with attitude some say I have a attitude also so lets both eat a little humble pie here and have a decent conversation about IR.

Yes the courses teach the basics of IR but they will never teach what you will learn in the field. You learn to crawl you learn to walk and then you learn to run.

When I first started into IR there were no written standards on how to use the IR camera in a home inspection I devised my own procedures and have been very successful doing so.

If you don’t pay any attention to anything I have stated in this post (hear this) **you don’t know what you don’t know until you know.
**You say you have no need for a level ll training that you are only interested in what pertains to a home inspection. The last time I inspected a house they all had electrical panels or multiple panels. My business exploded once I started adding thermal images of electrical panels with problems into my reports.

So I say again you don’t know what you don’t know until you know.

If you want to talk IR call me

You need to consider the knowledge, aptitude and professional success of those in each camp. Does anyone you talk to who possesses a Level-II or Level-III cert say it’s crap or is it people who don’t know? Who answers most of the thermography question on the forum

• those who think it’s crap or those who believe the education is valuable? Which group produces real revenue from infrared Thermography?

Can you point to one Level-II or III Thermogapher who says there is no money in Thermography for home inspections or that the market in their area won’t support it? There are plenty on the other side who go cheap, with minimalist equipment and training who swear they can’t make money with infrared.

I don’t know of anyone saying that Level I, II, III, etc is a bunch of crap. If that person exists, I suspect they haven’t taken the Infraspection courses. It is difficult to form an opinion about a course you haven’t taken, I understand that. It’s kind of like non-CMI’s who claim CMI won’t work despite every CMI testifying that it does. So here is my advice: Form your opinion about these courses based on the comments of those who completed them.

You won’t go wrong with Infraspection BTW.

Charley L. Bottger
Re: Infraspection Institute training
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswift View Post
Thanks for the info, Jim. I look forward to completing Level I with Infraspection down the road.

I have a question why did you start your IR training the way you did if your are interested in the levels l, ll, lll

From my point of view, I thought it was specifically for residential and commercial buildings and will certify me to do so.
I also looked to see what Infraspection offered.
With the thermal building certification and proposal templates I could start expanding my business.

I hope that helps.

Jim also mentioned previously that he would deduct the value of the course if InterNACHI members wished to educate on leveling up.
As I read it the courses value is $995.

I think that was uncalled for David.

I highly respect your opinion and yourself as an intellectual but you just stated that Jim’s Thermal Imaging course for Home and Buildings at $1,200 now $995 is like John’s course.

You just threw Jim under the bus!
Why would anyone want to save 4 hundred dollars unless they are being duped into a promotional education that is not worth the effort.
It does beg the question.

Jim, no need to answer.

Also; " Home inspectors are hypocrites! Like general contractors that build “custom homes” to the minimum standard of the municipal building code!"

I never heard of minimum code?
It is code or it is non compliant, correct?
Buyer beware, Caveat Emptor in all that you purchase.

Personally, I think the course a great product but I also was interested in the other products Infraspection Institute has to offer.

David, Did you stop at level one?

NOTE: I on the other hand will have something to say once I complete the IR INSPECTIONS FOR HOME & BUILDING INSPECTORS.

I fully agree Nick.

I looked at what credentials Infraspection had by seeing what others had to say. Their reach is world renowned.

Ask Linas about Jim and infraspection.
I have followed his blogs on thermal imaging and can only say his credibility on the subject holds water!

Best of luck with your future Infrared endeavors.