Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Specific Inspection Topics > Thermal Imaging, Infrared Cameras & Energy Audits

Notices

Thermal Imaging, Infrared Cameras & Energy Audits Contains discussions about thermal imaging, infrared cameras, energy audits, and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11/15/12, 12:44 PM
InterNACHI Staff

Default InterNACHI's free, online "Infrared Thermography Inspection Training" video course

The goal of this course is to teach home inspectors about infrared thermography and its applications for inspecting residential properties.

http://www.nachi.org/infrared-thermo...deo-course.htm

BEN GROMICKO
Director of Education
Home Inspection Business Course http://www.nachi.org/become-home-ins...course-101.htm

Need a home inspection in Arkansas? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Arkansas certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 11/15/12, 10:27 PM
InterNACHI Vendor

Send a message via Yahoo to jkaylor
Default Re: InterNACHI's free, online "Infrared Thermography Inspection Training" video cours

Ben, I am not trying to give you a hard time, but you might want to consider having someone go over this before putting your name and the Nachi seal behind it.

I got 14 pages in and had to stop.

I think you have a great concept and potential service to the members. However, it needs professional help.

Just my 2 cents.....will see what the other guys add to the conversation.

JJ
Old 11/16/12, 1:28 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Re: InterNACHI's free, online "Infrared Thermography Inspection Training" video cours

I agree Jason except that I reviewed all of it.

The misinformation and downright inaccuracies are astounding.

Great concept like Jason said, but this needs a lot of work and substantially more input from truly knowledgeable sources.
I'm sorry Ben, I like a lot of your work, but I wouldn't even call this an introductory remedial course... but more so a dangerous, inaccurate, and misguided document for the otherwise unaware.

As a side note, I hope the same grainy and imperceptible images aren't used on the $500 version of this...

Last edited by wwarner; 11/16/12 at 1:31 PM..
Old 11/21/12, 9:55 AM
InterNACHI Member

As a newbie to thermography, watching this right now, what heinous errors and omissions are most notable?
Old 11/21/12, 10:06 AM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwarner View Post
I agree Jason except that I reviewed all of it.

The misinformation and downright inaccuracies are astounding.

Great concept like Jason said, but this needs a lot of work and substantially more input from truly knowledgeable sources.
I'm sorry Ben, I like a lot of your work, but I wouldn't even call this an introductory remedial course... but more so a dangerous, inaccurate, and misguided document for the otherwise unaware.

As a side note, I hope the same grainy and imperceptible images aren't used on the $500 version of this...
I have not had the time to review it but I will

http://www.oklahomathermalinfraredimaging.com/
http://www.freedomexpressinspections.com/
Master HVAC Mechanic Retired
Level III Thermographer # 8486 Infraspection Institute
CMI Certified Master Inspector
Residential/Commercial Inspections
Moisture Intrusion Expert Witness
580-268-3340
Old 11/21/12, 1:53 PM
InterNACHI Member

My father taught me if one can not speak postive say nothing.

I watched about 1/2 of the video and I am speechless

Ben take Bill and Jason's advice please

http://www.oklahomathermalinfraredimaging.com/
http://www.freedomexpressinspections.com/
Master HVAC Mechanic Retired
Level III Thermographer # 8486 Infraspection Institute
CMI Certified Master Inspector
Residential/Commercial Inspections
Moisture Intrusion Expert Witness
580-268-3340
Old 11/26/12, 4:54 PM
InterNACHI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbottger View Post
My father taught me if one can not speak postive say nothing.

I watched about 1/2 of the video and I am speechless

Ben take Bill and Jason's advice please
Not a problem.

Send me at ben@internachi.org any errors that you may find in any course, and we'll make the necessary changes.

Be as specific as possible.

Thank you.

BEN GROMICKO
Director of Education
Home Inspection Business Course http://www.nachi.org/become-home-ins...course-101.htm

Old 11/26/12, 9:44 PM
InterNACHI Member

Please Note: cevans is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

It may be more expedient to go the Gene Kranz route and ask "What do we got on the spacecraft that's good?"

I only got through a few minutes of skipping through it.
Old 11/26/12, 10:18 PM
InterNACHI Member

Lemme guess.... They had that Infrared Certified guy give all of the input and didn't consult with any of the real thermographers that have been commenting??? What a waste of talent....

George Russell
George Russell Professional Inspections
Lampasas,Texas
TREC # 10215
512-296-9538
http://georgerussellprofessionalinspections.com/
http://www.facebook.com/austinhomeinspections
Old 11/27/12, 2:08 PM
InterNACHI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by grussell View Post
Lemme guess.... They had that Infrared Certified guy give all of the input and didn't consult with any of the real thermographers that have been commenting??? What a waste of talent....
Again, send me at ben@internachi.org any errors that you may find in any course, and we'll make the necessary changes.

InterNACHI as a matter of practice reviews course content and instructional design and delivery. Updates and revisions are based upon those reviews and the continual, day-to-day maintenance and editing of the content as issues arise.

Be as specific as possible.

Thank you.

BEN GROMICKO
Director of Education

Old 11/27/12, 10:02 PM
InterNACHI Member

We can start with discussing and covering the fundamental physics of thermal energy... better known as thermodynamics...

perhaps I missed that in the handout and video though, or perhaps this fundamental knowledge just is not important for interpreting and understanding home inspection related thermal images.
Old 11/27/12, 10:03 PM
InterNACHI Member

Then we can discuss this general statement from the handout pg 6:

"Cavities, angles, holes, resemble darker areas
in thermal images."

Last edited by wwarner; 11/27/12 at 10:07 PM..
Old 11/27/12, 10:05 PM
InterNACHI Member

Then I would seriously like to know just what the hell the instructor is trying to say here (again from the handout pg 6):

"Viewing from different ANGELS can affect effective emissivity."
Need a home inspection in Arkansas? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Arkansas certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 11/27/12, 10:10 PM
InterNACHI Member

Pg 7:

"Wavelength of the camera can affect the
the emissivity reading of an image."

Huh????
Old 11/27/12, 10:26 PM
InterNACHI Member

Also from pg8:

Also consider a painted surface vs. a non painted
surface will affect the same material and
cause different emissivity.

The last 3 words in that sentence has me confused. Someone please explain... perhaps we need to go back to the beginning at page 5 to find the definition of emissivity... oh... that's right... it wasn't really defined. Hopefully that will be in the $500 version though.