IR camera on its way

Now what?

Get Infrared Certified! Join the bold, the brave and the educated!

And whats that cost? :mrgreen: I learned that from price shoppers

I know there are IR fanatics out here Robert, but spending more than you paid for the camera to learn how to turn a control knob seems overboard if you just want to see bad radiant heat tubing and leaks.

Since we confirm with a moisture meter ,you can play all you want.:wink:

http://infraredcertified.com/

I would start here. John McKenna would be the one to talk to. His course was challenging, and the most time consuming part of the requirement.

I was kind of looking at it the other way around, and wanted it to confirm what I find with the moisture meter. Wasn’t really planning on doing energy audits or anything and just plan on using it during my everyday inspections. Not even sure my plans for using it would warrant a price increase.

LMAO…Robert you’re killin’ me with the Meeker logo at the bottom.
Just about the time I forget about I see it…and LMAO again!

I would suggest looking into Infraspection Institute’s IR Inspections for Home and Building Inspectors course if you want good reliable information about thermal imaging. Their course qualifies for NACHI’s IR Certified designation and the training comes from a recognized training provider. If after doing IR inspections for a while and feel that you want to branch out to other areas besides looking for wet spots in ceilings in a residential house, you can upgrade your certification to Level I using the time that you spent towards your course requirements. The information in the Home Inspector course is taken directly from the Level I training. You just need to take the additional chapters to upgrade your certification level.

Don’t let anyone talk you out of taking a training course. I find the ones that try to do this all the time are not certified by anyone or haven’t attempted that level of training yet. Using an IR camera is not point and shoot technology. It can be used for a wide variety of other applications that pay a lot more than residential inspections. However, you need a solid understanding of the science and technology in order to branch out into other areas though. If you get into commercial work, especially electrical, you will encounter many companies will require a minimum of Level 2 certification as well as additional training from OSHA and NFPA regardless if you are self employed or not.

As far as the argument goes about spending more on education than the actual tool goes…

Anyone can go out and buy a hammer and a box of nails, but that doesn’t necessarily make you a carpenter. One the same note, owning a thermal imaging camera does not make you an instant thermographer.

How much they charging you for the camera Robert?
I know they are getting cheaper all the time.

I got the el cheapo. :wink: FLIR i3 $1195

http://www.professionalequipment.com/product_images/185429_flir-i3-infrared-camera.jpg
Image is a link

Welcome to the “unseen” world!

Scott said it well, knowledge is important. you will fast find the limitations of your camera, and want more. I know I did, and I have a B-Cam.

That’s for sure, you can buy 2 FLIR I-3’s for what I paid for my wide angle lens.:stuck_out_tongue:

Cool ,at that price I may pick one up.
Just watched the video and the res does not look bad though it says 60 x 60 in the spec sheet.
Seems good enough to find water intrusion and see temp dif so unless you go into something beyond home inspection it looks fine to me.
Let us know how it is when you get it.

I think the guys that spent more will just be jealous.

Now that is a great question…

The correct link to our IR class is http://infrared-certified.com/

Regarding your IR camera for home inspections (FLIR i3)… please try
to send it back ASAP. You need a minimum resolution of 120x120.
Sometimes it is wise to seek help before you go out and buy.

How much is a 60x60 Fluke that you sell John?
I ask because the video shows it finding with a clear image.
Is the video faked?

I do not sell cameras.

I will not recommend nor help an inspector buy inferior camera. It would be helping them do harm to themselves.

So you are saying the video is faked by Flir and we should not trust that particular brand ?

If you’re going to buy a thermal imaging camera, watch this free webinar to help you decide how much to invest. Poor Robert didn’t do his homework before he wasted his money on an inferior camera.

If you look closely at the Flir i3 videos online, you will see that they have added “Images Simulated” in a lot of the IR shots. Don’t expect to get any kind of great image out of 60 x 60 pixel camera with I think is a 150 mK thermal sensitivity. Images will likely turn out to be as if you were looking through a lava lamp.

Get your money back before they ship that thing!