IR Inspection Procedure

Hi Guys,

What is your step-by-step procedure when doing a general IR home inspection. Also any tips, tricks, best way to manipulate delta-t, camera settings, best times, limitations or any thing else you can think of would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi James,I go with the flow, just like I’m doing my H.I. What IR classes have you taken? Remember, it’s just another tool in the bag, not an end all be all.

Practice, practice, practice.

Mic

http://www.nachi.tv/episode47

Taking Level I from Infraspection or the Snell group will help, if you haven’t already. However, the best images I’ve ever seen have come from Level II & III guys who really learn how to dial their cameras in. It becomes an art at that point. For tips to manipulate Delta-T, I’d talk to Jason (JJ) or Jim Seffrin.

One thing the infrared gurus will tell you is that infrared is only limited by your imagination.

James,

Do yourself a huge favor…Please don’t attempt to learn IR camera functions and settings and proper conditions through this MB.

Sign up for Level One training and you will learn everything you need to know about all IR cameras and you will then shine (as a professional should) when you perform an IR scan.

Yep. Take it from me (and I have been doing thermography since 1979), get the proper training. Too many people try to do it on their own and wind up getting into trouble. You would not believe all the un-trained “thermographers” I go up against in court cases where the lawyer that I am testifying for just cuts them to ribbons.

Kinda sad, seeing them get all squirmy on the stand.

Hope this helps;

Dear James:

Recognizing the need for standardized procedures, Infraspection Institute began publishing guidelines for thermography in 1988. Since their initial publication, Infraspection Institute guidelines have been adopted by hundreds of companies worldwide and incorporated into documents published by recognized standards organizations such as the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM). Beginning in 2007, Infraspection Institute guidelines were updated and renamed as standards to reflect their industry-wide acceptance and the best practices they embody.

Each Infraspection standard provides simple and straightforward procedures along with the requirements for properly documenting test results. Infraspection application standards provide a blueprint for both specifying and performing infrared inspections and are designed to be incorporated into contract documents. These documents are a ‘must-have’ for anyone who specifies, performs, or oversees infrared inspections.

The Infraspection Institute Standard for Infrared Inspection of Building Envelopes outlines practices and procedures for specifying and safely performing infrared inspections of building envelopes to detect excess energy loss, latent moisture and structural details. This 11 page document defines the roles of all persons involved in the inspection including the owner and thermographer. It also specifies report content for properly documenting infrared inspections along with requirements for verifying infrared data. The Standard is available in PDF format for $25 USD from the Infraspection Online Store.

If you are new to thermography, I too, would recommend that you take some formal training before you get started. At a minimum, I would suggest our 16 hour application course, Infrared Inspections for Home & Building Inspectors. If you are looking to truly unlock the earning potential of your imager, I would recommend our Level I Certified Infrared Thermographer course.

Both courses qualify for NACHI continuing education hours and are available as open enrollment courses or via Infraspection Institute’s Distance Learning program.

Hope this helps.

InterNACHI’s Offical INFRARED CERTIFIED Training (live webinar - 16 hours)

I’ve looked at every IR curriculum. I like Infraspection’s Course for Home and Building Inspectors and I love John McKenna’s Infrared Certified Training for the exact same reason: Both are designed especially for home inspectors. If nothing else, the direct tie to our profession will keep the training interesting, if that makes any sense.

That same reasoning prevents me from being a fan of Level I or II training, which I find to be more camera-centric than we really need.

Check out these from Infraspection, as well: http://www.successiries.com/

The first two are free to watch.

JJ

Also, the course that I developed and teach. Also 16 hours and complys with ANDT standards.

Hope this helps;

Excellent!