New FLIR Construction 2 Camera

FLIR C2: Thermal Imaging Camera

80 X 60 PX Thermal Resolution, MSX Image Enhancement

80 X 60 PX THERMAL RESOLUTION
Flir designed the C2 with an 80x60px thermal sensor – probably their Lepton core – which produces 4,800 individual temperature measurement data points in each image.

MSX IMAGE ENHANCEMENT
The C2 also feature’s Flir’s MSX contrast image enhancement technology. Basically, the MSX technology uses information taken from a visual camera sensor and blends it into the thermal image. This works a lot better than other cameras’ “image blending” modes that simply overlap thermal and visual imagery. You can see how well this works in my post about the Flir E4.

CAPTURE BUTTON
A very large button allows for quick capturing of thermal, visual, and MSX image data. You could sort through these later using Flir’s free PC and Mac application. There’s a separate power button as well.

BUILT-IN DISPLAY AND BATTERY
Unlike the Flir ONE, which piggybacks off an iPhone, the C2 has a built-in 3″ LCD display with 320 x 240 px resolution, and a rechargeable battery (3.7V LiPo).
The display automatically reorients itself, whether you hold the C2 camera in landscape or portrait orientations. AND it has a capacitive touchscreen for quick and easy access to menus and settings.
The built-in battery delivers up to 2 hours of runtime. It recharges inside the camera (suggesting it is not user-removable), with a full recharge taking 1.5 hours.

MEMORY AND USB CONNECTIVITY
Internal memory stores “up to” 500 sets of thermal and visual images, in jpg format. You can get them off the thermal imaging camera and into your PC, Android, or iOS device using a micro USB cable.
Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like the C2 offers any WiFi, Bluetooth, or wireless connectivity options. This is probably to help preserve battery life and keep costs and complexity down.
Flir says that you can stream video over USB, although they’re not very clear about how that will work.

APPLICATIONS
Flir says that the C2 is designed especially for building applications, and that it is great for showing things like hidden heat patterns that point out energy waste, structural defects, plumbing clogs, HVAC issues, and other problems.
Since the C2 is so easily pocketable, professionals in other trades will probably find it very appealing as well.

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY
Flir says that their new C2 has a “sub $700 MSRP.” This probably means it will be priced at $699.

Features:

80 x 60 px thermal resolution, 640 x 480 px visual camera resolution
Wide angle lens with 41° x 31° field of view
Minimum focusing distance: 0.15 m (0.49 ft.) thermal and 1.0 m (3.3 ft.) for MSX
Object temperature range –10°C to +150°C (14 to 302°F)
Accuracy ±2°C (±3.6°F) or 2%, whichever is greater, at 25°C (77°F) nominal
Thermal sensitivity: <0.10°C
Image frequency: 9Hz
Adjustable emissivity: matte/semi/glossy + user set
Iron, rainbow, rainbow HC, gray color pallets (rainbow HC is a high contrast color mode)
2 hrs runtime, 1.5 hrs recharge time
Size: 125 × 80 × 24 mm (4.9 × 3.1 × 0.94 in.)
It comes with the camera itself, a battery (built-in), lanyard, power supply/charger with EU, UK, US, CN and Australian plugs, printed getting started guide, USB memory stick with documentation, USB cable.

This camera has inferior resolution and cannot be used for a home inspection. Here is a thread on this subject.

I contacted FLIR, told them I was interested in one of these for Home Inspection… they sent me to sales person who then tried to up sell me to another much better camera. Was told this would not meet my particular needs as a full time inspector. (I already have one so was only testing the waters to see what I would be told) Contact them yourself, see if they actually recommend this when you tell them what you are using it for.

I have no idea why Mr Elliot wants to post this camera on different parts of the forum as a viable choice, when even FLIR will not recommend it for a home inspector.

That resolution would not be sufficient. The msx technology makes for some great pictures, but it is not a substitute for resolution. Neat gadget and I may get one so homeowner can look around while I use the real camera.

Let’s simulate what that resolution might mean in discovering a significant hazard, or missing it altogether…
80x60 pixel resolution:
IR20150128_0983-80x60.jpg

160x120 pixel resolution:
IR20150128_0983-160x120.jpg

320x240 pixel resolution:
IR20150128_0983-320x240.jpg

640x480 pixel resolution:
IR20150128_0983-640x480.jpg

Any “professional” inspector considering one of these consumer grade thermal imaging devices as a “professional” tool makes me laugh out loud. It would be akin to a so-called “professional” plumber showing up to a house equipped with only a plunger and a bottle of draino and expecting to be paid as a professional. If you are using one of these in your professional services, you better hope and pray someone with actual training and professional grade equipment never comes in behind you. :wink:

In the immortal words of Mr. Andersen (paraphrased of course)… “Quit being cheap-*****es at the expense of your clients, get some damned quality training, and invest IN your business with quality equipment & training!”

Tomorrow I’m performing a single thermal imaging job that will pay for 6 of these toys and still have change left over. I have 4 more similar paying jobs lined up on the immediate horizon. Not bragging, just facts. I’m commanding these fees because I have the training, equipment, and knowledge to do so… and my clients know it. I’ve invested in my business wisely. Had I not done so, I’d still be stuck in the land of “give me free *****, $600 master certified bozo badges, empty promises/guarantees/sales gimmicks, and cheap training” because you can’t afford to buy gas for your wiffle truck of a business vehicle.

Good grief people! :shock:

IR20150128_0983-640x480.jpg

Mr. Warner,

Could you please clarify your position on this subject. Try to be a little more direct this time! Your posting was awfully vague!

Did Dick Elliott send you a colorful private message for replying to his thread?

He is a legend in his own mind and tends to think that everything we post is about “him”, when we are simply replying to the subject matter (not the person making the statement, unless their name is in there).

I caution you not to engage Dick in conversation about IR theory, after all he is a self certified level I thermographer with the inside scoop (in which we were deceived into thinking that training and equipment are actually necessary) concerning 80×60 is good enough.

If Dick was a member of his so-called “IR ****ing club” (you know, those with actual certified Lvl I, II, III training), he might just be able to pull off using an 80×60 in a home inspection. Because then he would know when to keep his mouth shut!

Hey Dave,
Please let up on Dick.
He has no use for an IR camera in his line of work so there’s no sense in wasting your time on him.
http://www.westwatch.net/forms.html

He’s got housecleaning and a taxi service to run.:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

??? :wha?::wha?::wha?:

I’ve wondered the same thing,

However there certainly could be a sincere interest in sharing what is thought to be beneficial to others, or to maybe justify using it? Or… just to stir the pot for sake of conversation?

Well I feel left out… :frowning:

I will try to be more direct next time Mr. Andersen. :stuck_out_tongue:

Too bad we wasted our money on quality education and high end equipment. I guess that’s why we’re such angry and bitter people. :stuck_out_tongue:

Please see to that Mr. Warner!

I think Dick is selling cameras on the side…

I’m looking for a thermal camera and the c2 seems a pretty decent choice. The price proved to be really so - I found it everywhere but on Best Line Supply’s site http://bestlinesupply.com/product/flir-c2 Costs less than 660 there and the shipping is free it says. Found it in advertisements while googling (actually, it was easy to compare prices). Please reply if you tried it there, the deal seems to be too good. Hope to here from you soon, however, $40 off is not the reason to wait for too long. And the topic is a bit outdated…

Thank you in advance anyway!

The C2 is not intended for professional use of a home inspector. FLIR says this, not just me.

See this link for things to look for when buying an IR camera.
http://www.nachi.org/forum/f58/there…-wrong-105289/

It’s true the C2 or other FLIR products are not the optimal choice for home inspections. Yet, a lot of us are starting our profession and simply do not have the funds to purchase an E6 or E8 thermal camera. Add to that, are the classes, certifications, and additional cost to market oursleves can definitely cause a new inspector to pull away from the whole idea of adding this part of inspections to his belt.

As I’ve most likely said on this MB, my family flips houses and we have seen many home inspection reports from different companies here in San Diego. Rarely does the report contain a thermal image. When it does, it’s of a vent blowing out hot air. Pretty sure I can do that on a C2.

In the end though I will invest in a high end thermal imaging camera and purchase the classes that are needed. I’ve already spoken to John privately about getting one. I feel that having a higher end thermal imaging camera puts me in a good position to offer additional services for my clients. I’m even considering a drone but that’s another discussion for another thread.:slight_smile:

How about this one? Free shipping too…:cool:

http://www.tequipment.net/FLIR/T1020-12/Building-and-Industrial-Thermal-Imagers/?idevd=f1d73e45a4554c07b60e7fe457a66e0b&idevm=d21efb53660c45c8a929e9ae837a8bcf&idevmid=662925&utm_source=idevmail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Introducing+the+NEW+FLIR+T1K+Series+-+Over+50+Years+in+the+Making

If you can’t afford it, why are you doing it?

It’s not a requirement, and in most cases is a wast of money when your not properly trained in the first place.

If you can’t afford the camera, I am sure you can’t afford the proper training either.