Recertify With Flir / ITC

6-11-13

I just realized my Level I certification with ITC is up in a few months. Got on their web site and see there are several ways to recertify:

I don’t see paying another $1,850 to retake the course:
I don’t see me paying $595 to retake the certification exam.
I don’t see me writing 2 papers on IR for trade journals.
I don’t see me paying $1,595 to attend their annual whoopee-do.

SO …

All certifications, including renewed certifications, are valid for five years.
Thermography Recertification Requirements

There are two ways to extend your thermography certification level:
[ul]
[li]Attend another ITC certification course[/li][li]Show continued involvement in thermography as outlined below:[/li][LIST]
[li]Show proof of continuous employment requiring thermographic work over the current certification period, plus earn 32 recertification credits in any combination of the following activities:[/li][LIST]
[li]Present a technical paper on infrared at a thermography conference (16 credits per paper). Submit a copy of the technical paper with a recertification form and fee of $145*.[/li][li]Publish an article on infrared for a technical trade journal, industry magazine, or the ITC InfraMation newsletter (16 credits per paper). Submit a copy of the article with a recertification form and fee of $145*.[/li][/ul]
[li]Attend sessions at a thermography conference or ITC application course (one credit per contact hour). Submit proof of attendance (with a verification form) at all sessions and send to ITC with a recertification form and fee of $145*.[/li][/LIST]
[/LIST]

Huh? They charge you to recertify? Oh, I really gotta get around to releasing InterNACHI’s free Level IV, V, VI & VII. LOL

Seeing that you have done nothing for the past 5 yrs., just let it go.
You have not needed it yet, why bother to invest?
You can be certified here for free!
You can also now get a Flir I cam for $900 bucks.
Just turn it on and go! You don’t even have to focus…

Love how ya’ll find it so necessary to be “Certified” but willing to invest in nothing to make it happen. Just sayen…

I thought you said there would be a level X

That is too funny :mrgreen:

The irony is…

I was using a FLIR Camera
almost 30 Years ago…
There was no such thing as a Thermography Certification …

Seeing Flir was established in 1978, there was a lot of** “no such things”** back then, like hand held IR cameras…

I think it’s Ironic how little “anyone” knew back then, and they still are learning and developing?

How much new stuff is around now that wasn’t five years ago? Were you using a Tablet to do your HI Report back then?

HI’s have to be re-certified through continuing education in their State (if you have a licence) and here at INACHI. Oddly, it’s not called “Certification” like everything else is!

Now that "IS" Irony! :wink:

Almost every trade out there has to do this kind of stuff.

I wonder if anyone would be comfortable with a doctor, accountant, mechanic, lawyer, etc if the last time they “recertified” was 20 years ago.

How about you have you done your driving test lately ?.
I have not retaken a driving test in 59 years , but feel I can and do the written and eye test too.

I think that is a little different, Roy. We don’t get paid to drive and we are not professionals. Along those lines, in AZ, I believe people holding a CDL do have to attend annual safety courses and they have to get other things checked out a lot more often.

However, you do bring up a good point. If I remember right, auto accidents are the 2nd leading cause of death in the US behind heart related deaths. We really should have to do something to become better drivers.

Jason …

I think the point is, its just a little too much $$$$$ for simple CE or renewal.

Like EDI stucco moisture certification in my area. The vast majority of the locals that took the original EDI 5 day course and test, etc HAVE long since dropped their cert cause it really gained them nothing in the way of added business AND theres no other bennies, etc in paying to renew.

May be different elsewhere, but in KC thats the way it is.

You are a high risk…more info at:

http://www.cdc.gov/Motorvehiclesafety/Older_Adult_Drivers/adult-drivers_factsheet.html

Who is most at risk?

• Per mile traveled, fatal crash rates increase starting at age 75 and increase notably after age 80. This is largely due to increased susceptibility to injury and medical complications among older drivers rather than an increased tendency to get into crashes.4
  • Age-related declines in vision and cognitive functioning (ability to reason and remember), as well as physical changes, may affect some older adults’ driving abilities.5
  • Across all age groups, males had substantially higher death rates than females

As for Flir, its all about keeping up to pace…

Dear All:

As a point of information, Infraspection Institute has never charged renewal fees to maintain our students’ certifications nor set expiration dates on our graduates’ credentials. Due to the dynamic nature of thermography, Infraspection Institute encourages its graduates to keep abreast of changes through continuing education and advanced levels of infrared training where warranted.

Whether you are new to thermography or a seasoned professional, we invite you to consider us for your next infrared training class. In addition to providing you with the world’s best infrared training, we will also provide you with recognized certification that has zero ongoing cost of ownership.

If you have a certification from another organization that is about to expire, please contact Infraspection Institute and we will show you how you may matriculate directly to a Level II or Level III class that will carry lifetime certification.

More information on Infraspection Institute Certification may be found on the FAQs page of the Infraspection website.

Hope this helps.

Mr Seffrin

I will be in contact with you on monday to set up the level 1 distant learning course. Its time to just do it.

Thanks

John

Yeah, that I would agree with that. It isn’t like a doctor has to go back through all of med school every 5 years. They should have some sort of CCUs or a 6-8 hour recertification class that can be done online for $300-$500 or whatever.

I don’t think 32 hours of continuing education in a five year period is too much to ask. I am surprised that the others don’t do this. The problem I see is there is not enough viable options to receive those credit hours short of upgrading to a higher level of certification. I don’t see myself writing any white papers or spending $1600+ to go to a 5 day conference just to stay current. I don’t have to worry about this for another 4 years, so hopefully other options will be available. Until then, I’ll just keep scanning away and build on the training I have already received, and hope that more options are on the way at ITC.

If your client does not request their thermographer to be Level 1, 2 or 3 certified, you don’t need to be Level 1,2 or 3 certified, it’s just that simple.:wink:

Very true. I have ‘never’ had a client ask me about level I, II, III.

People are now questioning the gate keepers who once owned the only certification game in town.

Certification is requested when performing infrared inspections other than home inspections. Level 2 and Level 3 are required for infrared electrical inspections.

Good point.