Seek Thermal Smartphone Camera

I would like to know what you think. I came across this thermal imaging camera. It attaches to android and iPhones and has a 206 x 156 resolution which blows the Flir One away in terms of resolution. Though definitely consumer oriented at $200, but it would be great to keep in my tool bag on those occasions where I forget my Flir T400 or don’t want to drag it out. I think it’s a good backup option and a fun toy. Here is the link to the product website. It’s getting decent reviews around the internet and Raytheon’s involvement doesn’t hurt.

Seek Thermal Camera

That’s interesting.

I’m definitely interested in getting one of these.

I hope the camera works better than their website, at least on iPad! :neutral:
Does it integrate into the camera of the phone? I guess it has an app? What all can you do with it?

I just know what I have seen on the web. It does allow the visual and thermal images to be used, but not as an overlay or like the Flir MX overlay. It works with an app in fact I think it relies on it. Here ia a link to a review

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/09/25/hands-on-with-the-199-seek-thermal-smartphone-infrared-camera-yes-really-actually-this-is-amazing/

I doubt it could be used on a “professional” level, but I think it could be useful as an inexpensive learning tool. Looks to be better than the Flir 1. If for no other reason, it works on Android.

Frank, I agree definitely not a substitute for a real IR camera in the hands of a trained professional, but its an interesting point regarding a teaching tool. It would be a very inexpensive way to begin exploring thermal imaging. I am probably going to purchase one just because its a neat toy and conversation piece. For work I’ll stick with my T400.

I would like to hear your review and comparisons when you get yours. Please:D

The resnet standard is 120x120 resolution. Finding defects vs missing them is a real issue and cannot be taken lightly.

Professional grade IR cameras are made to endure a 6 ft drop onto concrete and come with full warranty (our sales guy also offers a free loaner camera to out students). Endurance of your IR camera is money in your pocket.

Your reputation will follow you. Did you use a real IR camera or a cell phone to do the IR inspection (what if a lawyer ask you this?).

You get what you pay for. Your competition will spead the word that your IR inspections are done with a toy. Do you really want that?

For $200 it’s worth trying.

I’m not an IR guy, rarely get asked for it.
Here is my question, what does a “pro” model provide that this one doesn’t?

Just in terms of imaging please.

Yeah, that website is terrible!

FLIR makes one for phones too.
Sent them an email to see if it’s appropriate for home inspections.

All the inspection schools that teach IR have always told me the same thing, that the RESNET standard of 120x120 resolution is the min. level of resolution needed for a home inspections. Hey… what do I know?

I am sure that in a couple years people will be trying to do IR inspections with $50 units regardless of resolution. Then they complain that buyers want cheap inspectors. Everyone is in a race to the bottom. Most people don’t get any training either.

You can do radon inspections with a kit from Walmart too. Some offer drive by inspections with no written reports. Cheap is always better… yes?

Quote: I would like to know what you think. I came across this thermal imaging camera. It attaches to android and iPhones and has a 206 x 156 resolution which blows the Flir One away in terms of resolution.

So could this be acceptable John?

How much does it cost?

Hi john,

I’m not sure where the negativity is coming from?

Could you please post something more constructive?

We’re just trying to find out if these are suitable for a good home inspection.

Seems to surpass the Resnet standard.

I would not bet on that number being the “detector” resolution…probably just the display. A lot of IR imager manufacturers were doing that.

I never said this was going to be used for home inspections or any other professional work for that matter. I use a Flir T400 for that which is more than most use. I just put this out here because I thought it was interesting. It would also be good as a back up in the rare event where I forgot my camera and needed to do a quick check to see if something like radiant ceiling heat was operating.