Some help with IR cameras

Hi all,
I am thinking to buy a thermal imaging camera to use for building heat loss inspection, but also I would need to check wiring, heating, etc…
And in every manufacturer there are 2 ways building or electrical…
How do they differ, because in specifications they are all same? What if I want all in one camera?
Help me to get on a right way.

There is no “all in one” camera…
Every camera is designed for a purpose.

I will use Flir as an example:

A B-400 is a building camera. It has programs in it for insulation, dew point, etc.
It’s range (temp) is within the range of normal building materials. From frozen water to boiling water.

A T-400 has other applications and has more temp ranges. Or at least the temp range is wider.

If you get a camera with a range of -40F to 1,200F it is not as useful (accurate) as a building camera with -20 to 300F.

But if you aren’t going to correct the temp measurements (like most home inspectors don’t do) it really doesn’t matter which camera you get.

Note: just because you see all the applications IR can be used for, it does NOT mean you can do them all with one camera (or that you are any way qualified to attempt such applications.

Decide what you want to do.
Get training in that area of interest.
Buy the camera that best fits that application. (you can do an electrical inspection with a low cost camera with few bells and whistles but when you have 80 panels to document, you need a better camera that can organize the job better. All the panels start to look the same after #10!).

You are not going to be able to do home inspection, aerial electrical inspections, R&D 12,000F measurements, roof inspections and breast scans with the same camera.

Wow that cleared my mind :shock:
It’s just I seen some small companies where offering their services and it was written that they use some flir camera…
So mainly all hardware inside the camera is same, it has some different spec, and different soft to do the reports.
Well about the trainings, is there any way to get international certificate online? Do I really need one? Can’t I just be self educated and do thermal inspections of the buildings?
I do know power electronics, motors, building construction, refrigeration, heating. I think that thermography is not so complicated if you know all those things.
I would like to start from building inspections, but i don’t know how much to invest on this stuff. Could you give me some advice on what I should buy, like a thermal surveyor starter pack.
I was thinking about FLIR, but saw that TESTO has not bad cameras for their price.
I googled around about cameras, reviews but no luck :frowning:
Please share your opinions about this.
Thank You :wink:

I’ve got a T300 that suits me fine for building inspections and electrical inspections. For breast scans I prefer my SX10IS :wink:

tell me more about these breast inspections…can You do that full time…is there a logo for that ?

Check with Brandon he is the logo master in IR.

Wow that cleared my mind :shock:
It’s just I seen some small companies where offering their services and it was written that they use some flir camera…

So mainly all hardware inside the camera is same, it has some different spec, and different soft to do the reports.
No, I did not say that. You said the specs you were looking at but had building and electrical options.

Well about the trainings, is there any way to get international certificate online?
Yup, Introspection, Flor OTC, Fluke have on line courses. But I’m sure you will go with John Kenna.

Do I really need one? Can’t I just be self educated and do thermal inspections of the buildings?

Are you related to Einstein?
From the questions your asking I would say the answer is NO.

I do know power electronics, motors, building construction, refrigeration, heating. I think that thermography is not so complicated if you know all those things.
Guess again…

I would like to start from building inspections, Wonderful, pick the hardest there is and take on line training and the cheapest camera you can find (they have a lot from China real cheap, just don’t let your kid get around it…)

but i don’t know how much to invest on this stuff. Get training and you will then know.

Could you give me some advice on what I should buy, like a thermal surveyor starter pack. Save your money. You’ll have it up on ebay in a few months.

I was thinking about FLIR, but saw that TESTO has not bad cameras for their price. What do you consider bad? Or Good for that matter.

There are Flir demo seminar this and next month. Call them and any other “reputable” company (or just follow a sales pitch and be taken advantage of) and you can put your hands on all of them and see the difference yourself.

I googled around about cameras, reviews but no luck :frowning:

I find that just totally absurd!

Please share your opinions about this.
Thank You :wink:
[/quote]

The Four Stages of Competence

Congratulations! You have achieved the first stage.

When you start to think that thermography is amazingly complicated and it might take you years to become a proficient practicioner, you will have made it to the second stage.

Try to get to stage two and get formal training from a provider recognized within the thermography community (I recommend Infraspection Institute, but there are other good sources), before you invest in an imager.

Well yeah so the first thing should be training.
But where :frowning: I need online course with online exam, coz I can’t travel so far.
Are those certificates recognized world wide? If I would be moving out to any EU country, would that certificate be valid there and I could do thermal inspections?
Could you please list me institutes that give online courses/exam with world wide recognized certificate?
Is it a joke about china camera? Coz china products always poor quality…
Well I didn’t found any website that would be reviewing thermal imaging cameras, even on Russian ones… There are websites that reviews specific models, but that only 1 or 2 and they don’t even compare or show real work of the camera. So if you know any please pm me sites.

http://infraspection.com/courses_distance_learning_general.html

Certification through a training program that is compliant with ASNT SNT-TC-1A should be recognized (verify in your own country).

We offer Online Training through Infraspection at this Link.

As others stated, purchase the Imager which suits the needs of what you intend to use the Cam for.

I have a Fluke TI32, they cost about $6,800.00 (our price)](http://www.nacbi.com) and are a great all round Cam which can be utilized for various types of applications.

Love mine Dale works great

Me too Wayne—:stuck_out_tongue:

Roy,

If you look at this one vs the others you will be pleasantly surprised.

FLIR E60 or FLIR E60BX

-320x240 detector (resolution)
-50mk thermal sensitivity
-650C temperature range
-WiFi out (currently Apple devices are supported, but there will be more to come soon)
-Bluetooth for receiving readings from Extech meters
-touch screen
-text and voice annotation
-interchangeable batteries and lenses
-revised new rugged design
-2 year warranty (extended warranties available)

We can throw in the Infraspection Level I training (David recommended it above) with the purchase of the camera ($7495.00). We cannot throw in the tablet (shown at the link above) with the training. The tablet is a great add on, as this camera has video out and actually has radiometric video available to it. You can use the tablet as a portable DVR for the camera. IR video out is a great marketing tool for trade shows, demonstrations, websites, Youtube, etc.

If you are looking at Linus’s camera FLIR T300 or the FLIR B300, those are currently $1000 off list ($8995.00 list) plus we can still do the free level I training via Infraspection.

If you have any questions on any camera, including the Testo line (Testo 882 is in this range) please feel free to drop me a line at jason@aikencolon.com or call at anytime.

Jason Kaylor
VP of Specialty Products
AC Tool Supply
877-207-1244

What does the bx stand for and what are the major differences between the two?

thanks
dave

Heat loss?! What the hell is that?! We want some of that here in Houston. :smiley:

BX is their building diagnostics version of the E30-E60.

Temperature range and thermal sensitivity are the big differences. Some of the other features are dew point and insulation alarms, etc.

There is a big jump in features from the E30/E30BX to the E40/E40BX, so if you are looking at this line, the low end unit is really the E40(BX), not the E30(BX).

Jason Kaylor
VP of Specialty Products
AC Tool Supply
877-207-1244

Our students get the lowest price IR cameras in the USA.
http://www.infrared-certified.com