Would these courses work for IR Certification

The Infrared Certified course states which nachi couses need to be taken along with:

You must take at least 16 hours (two days) of Continuing Education devoted to infrared cameras/thermal imagery** or** building science in addition to the online courses required for InterNACHI membership and the courses listed above.

So Two Nachi TV IR courses for 5 hourse each, and a Green building course for 8 hours (which should be considered a building science course)

Totaling 18 hours.

Would these qualify?

Yes, but let me tell you the best course to take: http://www.nachi.org/energy-audit-course.htm It is really a very well-rounded course that isn’t so camera-centric (the biggest problem with many IR courses). And I believe it is an Infrared Certified required course anyway.

I notice this course is 24 hrs. for INachi and 6 for Illinois?

Chris, make sure you do your homework and understand your market as well as your competitors. If you plan to succeed, having the right credentials means everything and more often than not your client knows a thing or two about education. At least this has been my experience. If you go up against a Level I (which is the entry level standard now) or level II in a bid situation guess who will get the job.

If your even thinking about doing any commercial work you will need a level I to start. I’m not trying to slam NACHI, just helping out a fellow thermographer.

Get recognized training from either ITC, The Snell Group or Inframation. It will pay ten fold in the long run and remember there is no cheap way into this business.

And when it comes to CEUs, don’t use this kind of education just to add to your CEUs list. This kind of education is a business decision and should be treated as such.

Here’s a paragraph from one of my competitors.

Good Luck

With the introduction of new less expensive camera’s, there is an increasing number of people using infrared technology. This is good for everyone because it helps promote the technology. Unfortunately, some people are making a business decision to not get any formal training.

You should understand that there are differences in the levels of training. Some home inspection associations and other web based companies offer a course over the Internet for you to become “Certified”. Like everything else, some are good and some are not. When a large company like a Dupont (for example) looks for a Thermographer, the qualifications they look for are experience and if they are in compliance with ASNT ( American Society for Nondestructive Testing).This is as close to a national standard as there is in the industry.

I am a Level II Thermographer with over 7 years inspection experience who is in compliance with ASNT. This means I have experience, formal class room training, and have passed the required testing. In addition to being a Level II Thermographer, I have been “certified” by ITC (Infrared Training Center) as a Building Science Thermographer. Again, to attain these qualifications I had to go to onsite formal training and pass all required testing.

I have experience in buildings from science centers, state legislative buildings, commercial buildings, retail buildings, institutional, industrial and residential homes. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns in regard to a thermographic inspection. There are many very good thermographers out there, just make sure you ask about there experience and training. It can, and does make a big difference in the quality of the inspection you will receive

I agree with all you said Russell. I know there is not an easy, cheap, way to be successful in he IR industry, and some of the IR Certifications are questionable.

In fact I’m not in pursuit of that at his time. I was just questioning Nick with the 24-6 difference in CE’s with energy-audit-course between INachi and Illinois.

Yes, it is one of the required courses. Thanks for the info. I should be done by the end of the week. :wink:

Illinois, as far as I can tell, awards fewer hours if the subject matter of the course is outside the SOP of a home inspection. InterNACHI’s free, online How to Perform an Energy Audit course is the most approved course of its type and has been awarded approval by:

There are topics omitted in the two video classes that make them a poor choice to prepare you with the basics of doing real world IR scans… IMHO (I made one of the video classes myself and it was never intended to prepare someone for the IR business, but only a casual overview for a novice who wanted a brief introduction of the topic). The hours might add up to 16, but not the content. I am just being honest with you.

Sorry John
I am going to save my money for level 1. I have been told by numerous people that if I want to go commercial, then that is the minimum.

I just want the logo. You know about those logos…:stuck_out_tongue:

I have done all coarses offererd for infrared through nachi site, very good. I also took Snell group level 1 coarse. Working with group, hands on and using diffirent cameras is priceless. Even when I finished level 1, they told us know your ready to go play with a camera for couple weeks or months not ready to work yet. They were right camera time put toghther with knowledge is key

Indeed a great course!