What are your statutes of limitations using IR?

I’m debating getting into IR and offer it as an ancillary service (I personally think guys that roll it into basic home inspection are cutting themselves off at the knees) Anyways, what if any extra limitations do you guys include?

I took the camera over to a friends place yesterday (who is also a seasoned inspector) and he’s very good at “what if” scenarios. His concern was that the clients expectations go through the roof when you pull out this device that can “magically” see through walls and see invisible handprints…

client: “I paid you an extra $100 and you didn’t see that leak behind the drywall in the basement corner”!!!

Given how much education an inspector needs to use a camera reliably, how is it possible to convey that level of expertise to your client so that they can even understand how it works and why its not going to work all the time everywhere? If you said “I didn’t see it because its evaporitive properties were not conducive to being viewed…”? all they would hear is “I didn’t see it.” LOL

Before doing the IR scan I make sure that I take the time to at least talk about the basics of IR and explain them the environmental variables required to do a successful thermal scan.

I direct them to my website to read up on some info. to educate themselves and I make sure to tell them that IR cameras can not see through walls and can not see through clothes :slight_smile:

I have a separate contract for IR and a separate contract for a home inspection. I also charge extra for an IR scan (other member may disagree with me).

Everything should be spelled out in your contract. Do you inspect to established industry Standards? Are those Standards referenced in your contract?