How to save a trillion gallons of water a year. Do you see these on inspections?

The article says it requires a large amount of copper piping. I’d say PEX is the predominant system today.

Those systems are generally used in large homes or multi unit properties. We just installed a simple system manufactured by Grudfos. Used as an aftermarket/ afterthought install to people who want to be green. The grundfos system can be installed for under 500.00.

I have rarely seen a recirculator system, but they are out there I have inspected a few. No real energy savings for the homeowner on heating the water,(unless the entire system is super well insulated which may be impossible) but considering the cost of water and it’s disposal I have to think it is more than economically advantageous for the homeowner unless they are on well and septic. From the green standpoint it ought to be law. But I am against that law, I don’t believe in mandating that people improve their homes. I have no problem requiring it in new construction however.

“If recirculation systems pump continuously, however, they have the potential to use significantly more energy. For a modest-sized pump, this might be 400 to 800 KWH a year if the pump runs all the time. Also, heat loss from the pipes can be significant if the hot water pipes are poorly insulated. This will result in the hot water heater running more.”

Doesn’t make a lot of sense. What about a foot pump, to be used at the time of demand to return the ‘not hot enough yet water’ to the hot water tank. Save water, energy and get some exercise. Go Lean & Green : )

Happy New Year All!

Jeff Tatlock
BEACHSIDE Home Inspection
www.beachsideinspection.com](http://www.beachsideinspection.com)
Serving Satellite Beach, Cocoa Beach, Indialantic, Indian Harbour Beach, Melborune, Melbourne Beach, FL