Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Specific Inspection Topics > Seller Inspections & MoveInCertified

Notices

Seller Inspections & MoveInCertified Contains discussions about seller inspections and the MoveInCertified program.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12/14/10, 3:14 AM
InterNACHI Member

Default Re: $100.00 CASH to the first person who can...

Im gonna try a stab at the $100.00.

My wife an I were talking last week about Seller inspections prior to marketing the home as apposed to Buyer inspections and we both agreed on a few points.

Move In Certified would leave to believe a home is perfect in all aspects and that the inspector that did the inspection has verified this somehow by doing a presale inspection for the seller.

I just happen to do an inspection today about 100 miles outside of what I would normally do one, but it was by referrall by an agent to another in the commercial industry that I just couldnt pass.

The buyer and I talked several times prior and I soon found out that an inspection had already been done by the owner (pre sale inspection). (6) pages is what he told me.

While performing the inspection I realized how the pre sale inspection could only be 6 pages....what I mean by that is the normal Caulk, grout, replace, BS had already been somewhat repaired but there was so much more that the buyer did not know until after my inspection.

This home acordding to the Agents was move in ready....Uhhh NOTT.

Ungrounded plugs through out....The HVAC Contractor that just installed the new furnace and AC had to be amature....you can see my posting in a few over in HVAC postings..

So Nick....you can have a Certified Move In Home...But its all about what the seller is going to repair prior and keep in mind one of the famous quotes...."As two homes are not alike...Neither are two home inspectors" One may have more knowledge in a specific field than the other.

Certified toyotas are inspected by toyota mechanics....Homes are inspected by a variety of people that belong to trades and associations which can be very different.

Premier Property Inspections
916-361-1021
Need a home inspection in Alaska? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Alaska certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 12/14/10, 3:14 AM
InterNACHI Member

Damn...I shoulve spell checked that....Sorry

916-361-1021
Old 12/14/10, 12:28 PM
InterNACHI Admin

Quote:
Move In Certified would leave to believe a home is perfect in all aspects and that the inspector that did the inspection has verified this somehow by doing a presale inspection for the seller.
"Would lead" whom?

Nick Gromicko, Certified Master Inspector
President, Contractors Association
Author, How to Run a Successful Home Inspection Business
Founder, InterNACHI
Owner,Nick Gromicko General Contractor

"Just as iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another."- Proverbs 27:17
Planet InterNACHI.... resistance is futile.
Old 12/14/10, 12:35 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromicko View Post
"Would lead" whom?

I would think it would lead anyone, buyers, sellers, agents to believe that a Move In Certified would mean absolutely no defects.

Dont get me wrong I think its a great concept, I just dont think the title "Move In Certified" is appropriate.

916-361-1021
Old 12/14/10, 1:13 PM
InterNACHI Member

I have to be perfectly honest, folks.

If I were to develop a marketing plan that I felt was safe and allowed me to market this service without exposing myself to more liability than I already have...I would never share it on the message board and allow a (present or future) competitor to share in this market.

Nick has provided a resource. It is available to anyone with the desire and the expertise to properly integrate it into their marketing plan. While those who are successfully implementing this program will certainly encourage the naysayers to continue to keep others out of the market...at the same time, it can blow up in your face and cost you your business if you don't do it correctly. This does not make it a bad program but it certainly makes it something that you do not want to do if you are not certain about how to do it.
Old 12/14/10, 1:50 PM
InterNACHI Member

Paul, You're beating a dead whore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppendley View Post
Im gonna try a stab at the $100.00.

My wife an I were talking last week about Seller inspections prior to marketing the home as apposed to Buyer inspections and we both agreed on a few points.

I just happen to do an inspection today about 100 miles outside of what I would normally do one, but it was by referrall by an agent to another in the commercial industry that I just couldnt pass.

The buyer and I talked several times prior and I soon found out that an inspection had already been done by the owner (pre sale inspection). (6) pages is what he told me.

While performing the inspection I realized how the pre sale inspection could only be 6 pages....what I mean by that is the normal Caulk, grout, replace, BS had already been somewhat repaired but there was so much more that the buyer did not know until after my inspection.

This home acordding to the Agents was move in ready....Uhhh NOTT.

Ungrounded plugs through out....The HVAC Contractor that just installed the new furnace and AC had to be amature....you can see my posting in a few over in HVAC postings..

So Nick....you can have a Certified Move In Home...But its all about what the seller is going to repair prior and keep in mind one of the famous quotes...."As two homes are not alike...Neither are two home inspectors" One may have more knowledge in a specific field than the other.

Certified toyotas are inspected by toyota mechanics....Homes are inspected by a variety of people that belong to trades and associations which can be very different.

INSPECTIONLOGOS.COM

"I can keep explaining it for you, but I can't understand it for you".
Nick G.
Monroe Home Inspection
Old 12/14/10, 1:50 PM
InterNACHI Admin

Quote:
I would think it would lead anyone, buyers, sellers, agents to believe that a Move In Certified would mean absolutely no defects.
First of all, how could they argue that Move In Certified (which is clearly defined) means something else? Even a traditional home inspection doesn't mean "absolutely no defects." Move In Certified is clearly defined. It would be pretty difficult for someone to argue that they couldn't find the definition of Move In Certified... AND... they somehow never received the inspection report... SO... they decided to use their made-up definition of a street sign, in place of the inspection report.

Second of all, only your client (the seller) can sue you.

Founder, InterNACHI

Old 12/14/10, 1:55 PM
InterNACHI Admin

I think I got it.... what if we put "Ask to see the full inspection report" on every sign?

Founder, InterNACHI

Old 12/14/10, 1:57 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
I think I got it.... what if we put "Ask to see the full inspection report" on every sign?
Ding Ding Ding You hit it right on the head.

This is what makes it sound misleading "Buying a home? Make sure it's Move In Certified. Selling a home? Certify it now!" That makes the house sound like something that it is not. Unlike a certified used car where something has actually been done to automobile. Which this program sounds like its modeled after.

INSPECTIONLOGOS.COM

"I can keep explaining it for you, but I can't understand it for you".
Nick G.
Monroe Home Inspection

Last edited by rsmith24; 12/14/10 at 2:04 PM..
Old 12/14/10, 2:15 PM
InterNACHI Member

Is there a 2nd prize?

Yes, I'd personally choose a CMI every time over every other inspector. ~ Nick Gromicko, InterNACHI Founder

Certified Master Inspector - 2010
Florida Licensed Home Inspector - HI176
Florida Licensed Mold Assessor - MRSA208

Square-One Inspection "Assurance begins here"

Old 12/14/10, 3:39 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
From the Move In Certified Site:

MoveInCertified homes have been pre-inspected by InterNACHI certified inspectors and the sellers confirm that there are no major systems in need of immediate repair or replacement and no known safety hazards.

1-What if the sellers do not want to repair anything and just want the information from the inspection to be available for prospective buyers? The home would not be in my opinion MOVE IN CERTIFIED

2-What if harry homeowner decided to do some DIY projects after the inspection that created a need for repair? Would not be MOVE IN CERTIFIED.

3-With the time lapsed between the date of pre-listing inspection and the escrow/inspection period (could be 9-12 months later) there could be many things different and again would not be MOVE IN CERTIFIED.

The comment about the sellers only being able to sue the inspector is not correct in CA in my opinion but then again I am not an attorney.

916-361-1021
Old 12/14/10, 9:29 PM
InterNACHI Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bboerner

Guys IMO Nicks agenda is your not responsible for a MIC inspection due to the fact the seller is the one responsible to have everything fixed which would then certify the home with documentation showing proof of all the repairs. IMO however your risk for this inspection is dramatically increased "if" you missed something significant and the buyers inspector found it. Nick can wrap it around a tree any way he wants. Bottom line is it's you that killed the deal because the seller thought after making all the repairs listed on your MIC report their home was certified as having no additional defects. Guess what's going to happen next? With a contracted buyers inspection your client may not notice your negligence till later down the road in which case your contract might keep you out of hot water or you simply loose the fee you collected as we all just seen in the good state of IL. It appears that inspector missed more than just a few small items now the home owner is left scratching their ***. Nick I take credit cards online

STL Home Inspection Services LLC
Residential / Radon / Sewer / Thermal / Termite

Bill Boerner
Multi Inspector Firm
(314) 805-2137
office@stlhomeinspector.com
Stlhomeinspector.com
Serving: St. Louis and Surrounding
Old 12/15/10, 12:12 AM
InterNACHI Admin

Quote:
IMO however your risk for this inspection is dramatically increased "if" you missed something significant and the buyers inspector found it
Uh... how is your liability "increased if you miss something significant and the buyer's inspector found it" for you?

Had you been working for the buyer, the other inspector couldn't have found it (because he wouldn't have existed), you'd be the only inspector in the deal. If he didn't find it (because you are the only inspector) it would have been worse... which would be the case if you missed it for the buyer (instead of the seller).

The buyer's inspector saved your butt and discovered the problem BEFORE the buyer bought the home and found the problem (you missed) and before it was too late to demand the seller repair it.

Liability is reduced in your scenario. Not just reduced... it goes to zero: A buyer can't sue ANY inspector for a defect that was discovered (regardless of which inspector discovered it).

Founder, InterNACHI

Last edited by gromicko; 12/15/10 at 12:21 AM..
Need a home inspection in Alaska? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Alaska certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 12/15/10, 12:19 AM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Uh... how is your liability "increased if you miss something significant and the buyer's inspector found it" for you?

Had you been working for the buyer, the other inspector couldn't have found it (because he wouldn't have existed), you'd be the only inspector in the deal. If he didn't find it (because you are the only inspector) it would have been worse... which would be the case if you missed it for the buyer (instead of the seller).

The buyer's inspector saved your butt and discovered the problem BEFORE the buyer bought the home and found the problem (you missed) and before it was too late to demand the seller repair it.

Liability is reduced in your scenario.
Billy's point was that the seller...not the buyer...would have a claim of negligence since the "missed" item was not in the report and he presumably did not have the opportunity to repair it before the buyer discovered it and walked away from the deal. Problem with that is...it's the seller's house and if he didn't know about it after living in the house for XXX years and failed to disclose it to the inspector or the buyer....how can the inspector be held accountable for not discovering it in the three hours he spent on the property? I think the seller would have a difficult time proving he was damaged by something that even he, after spending much more than 3 hours in the house, alleges not to know about.
Old 12/15/10, 12:26 AM
InterNACHI Admin

No the problem with that scenario is that it makes no sense. If the buyer was going to stay in the deal and buy the home if no defect existed, the buyer certainly would stay in the deal and buy the home if the defect is corrected (and in fact, may be stuck in the deal if the seller agrees to correct all defects).

It wouldn't be the inspector's fault that the defect exists (even if the inspector missed it). No causation (the inspector didn't create the defect).

Founder, InterNACHI

Last edited by gromicko; 12/15/10 at 12:30 AM..