1 year new home warranty inspection question

Do you guys use the TREC form for these? Why or why not? If I chose to do any of you see a problem with this?
Thanks In Advance!

I don’t use the TREC form because I want to include things like caulk, carpet and cabinets.

The TREC form is only required in a real estate transaction.

I use the same basic form but include things that would not be on a sales inspection.

If it’s a house that I have not inspected previously, I’ll do a full TREC inspection and use the promulgated form (it’s not required, but that’s how I choose to do them). I also charge a full home inspection fee. I do quite a lot of these. Many of these people are folks who’s neighbor had hired me to do their new construction pre-sale inspection and now they are thinking they need an inspection too, even if it’s after the fact. These folks will be expecting a report similar to the one that they have seen from their neighbor. There is nothing I know of that precludes you from using the TRC form for a non-“realestate” inspection.

If it’s a house that I did the pre-sale inspection on, I will charge approximately half the original fee. I also trim the scope back (no need to recheck outlets, etc.) and narrow the focus. I do go back an reinspect items from the original inspection, though I don’t advertise that I do. In these cases I produce a punch-list style report for the client to review and give to the builder. I make it clear that some of the items in the report will be maintenance related (e.g., debris filled gutters, dirty filters, etc.) and typically not covered under warranty (good time for new owners to learn that they need to do more than cut the grass to keep the house in good condition). I do not try to decide what defects should/should not be covered by the builder’s warranty, especially since there is no longer any state minimum standard. I include appropriate guidance/disclaimers to this effect.

Thanks Chuck! That is the approach I used. Full Price - Full Blown inspection. Even to the point of explaining the safety VS warranty aspect.
Here’s a question…if it’s tied to a warranty on a house bought in the last year…why then do some people NOT consider this to be a part of a real estate transaction? Is it not a warranty that goes hand in hand with a real estate transaction and thus to be considered a part of said transaction?
I’m just curious…

The house and all of its faults has already been purchased by the client. You are no longer providing the public with information relevant to the transfer of real property. You no longer can influence the purchase decision. There are no longer any agents involved and no real estate is changing hands. TREC’s jurisdiction is tied to the purchase/sale of real property and the activities leading up to it (IMO). Once the real property has changed hands, it no longer falls under TREC’s purview, unless there were issues with things that lead up to the transfer (e.g., the pre-sale inspection).

Understood…thanks again.