A & A3 = Discount or No Discount For You?

Had a discussion with insurance guy yesterday because his client just protected his last glazed opening. I said yes his form would then be A & A3 he said that would do his client no good because none of the agencies give a discount if anything is below whatever box he said on the chart.

I was under the impression that some insurance companies gave discounts if ALL GLAZED OPENINGS were protected would get some discount A and A3.

This was in the HVHZ. I am curious if the guy is giving his client bad info or not as I do not try to know what the insurance companies will do on any given day.

Just trying to help another guy so if you know of a company that would give him opening protection with A and A3 please post info.

Mike I have heard of insurance agents informing the buyer the same thing. I have been asked to return to document for example a side door at a garage because the door was not protected or rated during my initial visit “A. and A-3” and the insurance company asked the client to protect in order to provide them with the discount. I also remember speaking to an agent once and he saying that there was a certain carrier which didn’t object to this particular scenario. So, maybe it just varies with carriers?

Bert

I thought it differed also I am just hoping this guy is not wrong and telling his client this and not submitting the report based on what he thinks.

If anyone knows of companies that do give discounts please list them remember it is for A and A3 in the hvhz. Thanks in advance.

I believe that Citizens does not differentiate between A1 and A3…same discount. But, that is outside the HVHZ when I presented this question to an agent. Since full impact rating is required inside the HVHZ (by code), I would think there would be a difference, and carriers would not give any credit for less than A1. I could be wrong…

In the HVHZ, it is all or nothing. It doesn’t matter what you mark on the form. If it isn’t A1, it might as well be X.

I have heard, this practice is spreading north…:twisted: :twisted:

You would be correct. Outside of HVHZ if they don’t get credit for A.3 tell them to go with a different insurance company. We have A.3 and receive credit in Palm Beach

Thanks for the input guys :slight_smile:

A little more input…

I was speaking with one of the “higher ups” with regards to this issue.
If you do not get credit for each opening feature, as you do in the non-hvhz, then why bother with all of the different items in the first place? How about a yes/no answer to the question “All openings protected”?

Along the same lines, if it is all or nothing in the hvhz, then why not the entire State? After all, hurricanes are not exclusive to the hvhz, maybe a little bit more probable, but then again, try telling that to those who were not in the hvhz and were hit with a storm.

The general consensus is, what I figured, each insurance company can decide what they are going to give credits for, regardless of the form. Sad, but true…

When the current 1802 form first came out, Bill York gave his updated 1802 course and, if I remember correctly, he said homeowners should get discounts for A3 outside of the HVHZ. He went on to say if a homeowner outside of the HVHZ does not get a discount for A3 he wants to personally know about it so he could follow up with the State. Does anyone else who took his course remember him saying anything like this?

Well now you guys know why I do not usually try to figure out what the insurance folks do with the info I provide.

Bert had the same thing happen last week. All openings were rated A except the garage door. Agent told insured garage door would need to be rated in order to be A with A1.

See this needs to be cleared up a little as I would like to know. Im outside the HVHZ, a lot of times I get a home that all glazed openings meet A and Non Glazed openings such as doors meet A. How ever lets say the non glazed garage door fails and is marked X. So by marking A and A3 ** no discount ** just curious.

It isn’t your concern who gets a discount.
Simply have your client ask their agent what discounts they get. If they get no discounts, tell the client to look for another agent.

But, as I said, I hear, actually I have seen it firsthand, that the all or nothing (A1) is spreading. Hopefully, the changes to the form will shed some light on this. :wink:

I know not to discuss credits with my client. However from what I was taught by another inspector in my area and correct me if I’m wrong. "All openings have to be protected with a minimum meeting ASTM E1886 and E1996 or TAS 201 202 203 or SSTD 12-99. ** one opening can not fail ** beside glass block since we’re not in the hvhz.

I have no idea what any agent is going to give anyone credit for. I just mark the appropriate boxes.

I try to keep it simple.

It is either the above or not.

A lot of people try to over-think these things and if you do that, you will need a long vacation, sooner than later. :smiley:

Not true in our area. I just checked this out today with one of my agents. At least with Citizens (other carriers may be different), there is no difference between A1, A2, or A3, there is simply A or B or X when inputting data into their system.

I am formally requesting that OIR devise separate 1802’s for inside and outside the HVHZ.:twisted: That would clear up a lot of nonsense IMHO.

Ahhhh ha hahahahahah You know I would laugh didn’t you

Let me know how they handle your request :slight_smile:

I got a request for them also if they do anything with yours :twisted:

No it wouldn’t. A simple one page form would. I have posted several rough drafts here. But the gang at the OiR keep trying to reinvent the wheel…and in the process…are making it a square.

THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT WHAT PROS THINK. They only care about what insurance companies think. You know the ones THEY are supposed to regulate.